Overclocking P4 3.4 650 / Ram question...

sacrum

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi all,

I have a laptop (Clevo D900T) with the following spec:

Intel P4 650 3.4ghz
3x512mb DDR2 PC4300 ram (SODimm)
5200rpm SATA HDD
Nvidia 6800 ultra

I've run Sisandra which reports the ram / efficiency is only 52% - Is there
a better configuartion for the ram such as 2 x 1gb DDR2 (Any good brands?)?

Can I get faster ram and would this allow for a more stable fsb increase?

Any other things I can do to improve overall system speed?

Tia

' ' wrote, in part:
| I've run Sisandra which reports the ram / efficiency is only 52% - Is
there
| a better configuartion for the ram such as 2 x 1gb DDR2 (Any good
brands?)?
_____

What is RAM / efficiency?

' ' wrote, in part:
| Can I get faster ram and would this allow for a more stable fsb increase?
|
| Any other things I can do to improve overall system speed?
_____

Maybe, probably not.

AND

Not much, it's a laptop, with limited options for dealing with the hugh
amount of heat produced by the CPU.

You have to ask yourself, "Is a meaningful speed increase possible no matter
what is done, and no matter what the cost?" The answer is almost assuredly
NO; even for a desktop system with the same CPU, without exotic cooling a
15% speed increase is probably near the limit. The more you change to
overclock your laptop, the more the advantages of having a laptop in the
first place are left behind.

Phil Weldon

"Sacrum" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1126026120.19469.0@a lovely person.uk.clara.net...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a laptop (Clevo D900T) with the following spec:
>
> Intel P4 650 3.4ghz
> 3x512mb DDR2 PC4300 ram (SODimm)
> 5200rpm SATA HDD
> Nvidia 6800 ultra
>
> I've run Sisandra which reports the ram / efficiency is only 52% - Is
> there a better configuartion for the ram such as 2 x 1gb DDR2 (Any good
> brands?)?
>
> Can I get faster ram and would this allow for a more stable fsb increase?
>
> Any other things I can do to improve overall system speed?
>
> Tia

BigJim

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Phil is right, overclocking a laptop is not a good idea.
Basically a laptop is "what you see is what you get"
You could put a new 7200 speed hard drive in that would make it faster.
If you have Norton on it, I would get something else.

"Sacrum" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1126026120.19469.0@a lovely person.uk.clara.net...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a laptop (Clevo D900T) with the following spec:
>
> Intel P4 650 3.4ghz
> 3x512mb DDR2 PC4300 ram (SODimm)
> 5200rpm SATA HDD
> Nvidia 6800 ultra
>
> I've run Sisandra which reports the ram / efficiency is only 52% - Is
> there a better configuartion for the ram such as 2 x 1gb DDR2 (Any good
> brands?)?
>
> Can I get faster ram and would this allow for a more stable fsb increase?
>
> Any other things I can do to improve overall system speed?
>
> Tia

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Not much, it's a laptop, with limited options for dealing with the hugh
> amount of heat produced by the CPU.

I made a guide on this in alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.It is really
for P M Dothans, but it might give you an insight into cooling etc.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.hardware.overclocking/browse_thread/thread/cef0935a42ce9f57/d7e1ee28cd483985#d7e1ee28cd483985

> What would be better another hdd (5200 or 7200?) and set it up as RAID 0 > or go for a 7200rpm hdd single?

For harddrive speed reviews, look at these two sites,

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/hitachi_travelstar60GB_7200/travelstar60GB_7200rpm.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041213/

Sacrum wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a laptop (Clevo D900T) with the following spec:
>
> Intel P4 650 3.4ghz
> 3x512mb DDR2 PC4300 ram (SODimm)
> 5200rpm SATA HDD
> Nvidia 6800 ultra
>
> I've run Sisandra which reports the ram / efficiency is only 52% - Is
> there a better configuartion for the ram such as 2 x 1gb DDR2 (Any
> good brands?)?
> Can I get faster ram and would this allow for a more stable fsb
> increase?
> Any other things I can do to improve overall system speed?
>
> Tia

represents your laptop CPU. What does that say about the comparative
RAM speed?

I hate to bring this up, but for the cost of the Clevo, you could have
either built yourself or purchased off the shelf the absolute fastest
desktop gaming machine on the planet - or close to it.

I pointed out the deficiencies in laptops as gaming machines to your
post of 8/27. If you are obsescing about the laptop, I personally would
return it immediately and move on to a desktop box that you can,
potentially, tune up to your heart's content.

sacrum

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Okay - I'll take that on board....

What would be better another hdd (5200 or 7200?) and set it up as RAID 0 or
go for a 7200rpm hdd single?

chris

"BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Phil is right, overclocking a laptop is not a good idea.
> Basically a laptop is "what you see is what you get"
> You could put a new 7200 speed hard drive in that would make it faster.
> If you have Norton on it, I would get something else.
>
> "Sacrum" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:1126026120.19469.0@a lovely person.uk.clara.net...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a laptop (Clevo D900T) with the following spec:
>>
>> Intel P4 650 3.4ghz
>> 3x512mb DDR2 PC4300 ram (SODimm)
>> 5200rpm SATA HDD
>> Nvidia 6800 ultra
>>
>> I've run Sisandra which reports the ram / efficiency is only 52% - Is
>> there a better configuartion for the ram such as 2 x 1gb DDR2 (Any good
>> brands?)?
>>
>> Can I get faster ram and would this allow for a more stable fsb increase?
>>
>> Any other things I can do to improve overall system speed?
>>
>> Tia

BigJim

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I would replace the 5200 with 7200, now don't expect miracles but you will
notice a speed increase
when accessing files and the like.

'Sacrum' wrote:
| Okay - I'll take that on board....
|
| What would be better another hdd (5200 or 7200?) and set it up as RAID 0
or
| go for a 7200rpm hdd single?
_____

At this point I'd suggest taking a deep breath and stepping back for
comtemplation.

You haven't posted any information on your goals and how you use the laptop.
You might, depending on goals and use, might want to consider a desktop
system built for performance/overclocking. Spending addtional money on
increasing the performanc of your laptop may not bring much improvement, and
notebooks/laptops are notoriously fragile compared to desktops, as well as
much more expensive to repair. Money spent to gain marginal performance
increase in a system that may not be functioning in three years, well,
perhaps is money not well spent. If you currently have applications that
won't run unless you increase the performance of your system 5%, then it may
be worth it. If all your applications work satisfactorily now, then don't
fix what isn't broken. If you have applications than need more than a 5%
performance increase, then a desktop system should be considered.

Phil Weldon

"Sacrum" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> Okay - I'll take that on board....
>
> What would be better another hdd (5200 or 7200?) and set it up as RAID 0
> or go for a 7200rpm hdd single?
>
> chris
>

> "BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Phil is right, overclocking a laptop is not a good idea.
>> Basically a laptop is "what you see is what you get"
>> You could put a new 7200 speed hard drive in that would make it faster.
>> If you have Norton on it, I would get something else.
>>
>> "Sacrum" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:1126026120.19469.0@a lovely person.uk.clara.net...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a laptop (Clevo D900T) with the following spec:
>>>
>>> Intel P4 650 3.4ghz
>>> 3x512mb DDR2 PC4300 ram (SODimm)
>>> 5200rpm SATA HDD
>>> Nvidia 6800 ultra
>>>
>>> I've run Sisandra which reports the ram / efficiency is only 52% - Is
>>> there a better configuartion for the ram such as 2 x 1gb DDR2 (Any good
>>> brands?)?
>>>
>>> Can I get faster ram and would this allow for a more stable fsb
>>> increase?
>>>
>>> Any other things I can do to improve overall system speed?
>>>
>>> Tia

sacrum

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks all for helpful advice....

I am in agreement with Phil that the gains vs cost makes my current setup
more attractive!!!

Does anyone know whether my clevo D900T chassis will support dual DDR2 -
I've run sisandra/memory bandwidth test and my current setup is only 52%
bandwidth efficient - on my amd desktop its 98%! When I get the chance I'll
take out one of my 512mb dimms leaving just the two and see if that changes
things....

Although what phil says the hitachi 72k is very tempting!!!!

"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> 'Sacrum' wrote:
> | Okay - I'll take that on board....
> |
> | What would be better another hdd (5200 or 7200?) and set it up as RAID 0
> or
> | go for a 7200rpm hdd single?
> _____
>
> At this point I'd suggest taking a deep breath and stepping back for
> comtemplation.
>
> You haven't posted any information on your goals and how you use the
> laptop.
> You might, depending on goals and use, might want to consider a desktop
> system built for performance/overclocking. Spending addtional money on
> increasing the performanc of your laptop may not bring much improvement,
> and notebooks/laptops are notoriously fragile compared to desktops, as
> well as much more expensive to repair. Money spent to gain marginal
> performance increase in a system that may not be functioning in three
> years, well, perhaps is money not well spent. If you currently have
> applications that won't run unless you increase the performance of your
> system 5%, then it may be worth it. If all your applications work
> satisfactorily now, then don't fix what isn't broken. If you have
> applications than need more than a 5% performance increase, then a desktop
> system should be considered.
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Sacrum" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Okay - I'll take that on board....
>>
>> What would be better another hdd (5200 or 7200?) and set it up as RAID 0
>> or go for a 7200rpm hdd single?
>>
>> chris
>>

>> "BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Phil is right, overclocking a laptop is not a good idea.
>>> Basically a laptop is "what you see is what you get"
>>> You could put a new 7200 speed hard drive in that would make it faster.
>>> If you have Norton on it, I would get something else.
>>>
>>> "Sacrum" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> news:1126026120.19469.0@a lovely person.uk.clara.net...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

What does 52% bandwidth efficiency mean? I've never seen that before (maybe
because I've choosen to use SiSoft Sandra 2004 rather than 2005. It may be
that whatever bandwidth efficiency DOES mean is not what you THINK it means,
and in any case may not be very meaningful for overall performance. Don't
rely on that phrase unless you understand exactly WHAT it means, and unless
you are completely confident in what SiSoft Sandra reports. Though SiSoft
Sandra has become a much more reliable source of information about systems
it inspects over the years, there are still likely to be cases, as in the
past, when it reports more than it can know.

At current clock speeds, any Pentium CPU requires access to data and
instructions MUCH more quickly than ANY main memory can deliver. NO Intel or
AMD based system can access random data and instructions at ANYTHING like
the full theoretical bandwidth of either the CPU OR main memory. Examine
the concepts of memory delay, memory overhead, and cache operation.

> Thanks all for helpful advice....
>
> I am in agreement with Phil that the gains vs cost makes my current setup
> more attractive!!!
>
> Does anyone know whether my clevo D900T chassis will support dual DDR2 -
> I've run sisandra/memory bandwidth test and my current setup is only 52%
> bandwidth efficient - on my amd desktop its 98%! When I get the chance
> I'll take out one of my 512mb dimms leaving just the two and see if that
> changes things....
>
> Although what phil says the hitachi 72k is very tempting!!!!
>
> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
>> 'Sacrum' wrote:
>> | Okay - I'll take that on board....
>> |
>> | What would be better another hdd (5200 or 7200?) and set it up as RAID
>> 0 or
>> | go for a 7200rpm hdd single?
>> _____
>>
>> At this point I'd suggest taking a deep breath and stepping back for
>> comtemplation.
>>
>> You haven't posted any information on your goals and how you use the
>> laptop.
>> You might, depending on goals and use, might want to consider a desktop
>> system built for performance/overclocking. Spending addtional money on
>> increasing the performanc of your laptop may not bring much improvement,
>> and notebooks/laptops are notoriously fragile compared to desktops, as
>> well as much more expensive to repair. Money spent to gain marginal
>> performance increase in a system that may not be functioning in three
>> years, well, perhaps is money not well spent. If you currently have
>> applications that won't run unless you increase the performance of your
>> system 5%, then it may be worth it. If all your applications work
>> satisfactorily now, then don't fix what isn't broken. If you have
>> applications than need more than a 5% performance increase, then a
>> desktop system should be considered.
>>
>> Phil Weldon
>>
>> "Sacrum" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Okay - I'll take that on board....
>>>
>>> What would be better another hdd (5200 or 7200?) and set it up as RAID 0
>>> or go for a 7200rpm hdd single?
>>>
>>> chris
>>>

>>> "BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dennis Pogson wrote:
> Are you in some sort of race? Or perhaps have only a short time to live? If
> the former, buy a new laptop, if the latter, use your existing laptop to
> make a will.

Hehe, everyone loves to push the limits of their hardware. Its not like
you drive your car under 2000rpm constantly.

Like I said, read my previous post...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message...
> What does 52% bandwidth efficiency mean? I've never seen that
> before

IIRC this parameter is a rough indication of the effectiveness of your
memory bus. For example, if a single-channel DDR motherboard running PC3200
at 200MHz memory bus coughed up a Sandra memory bandwidth benchmark result
of 3.2GB/sec, the memory efficiency would be listed as 100%.

In this case I'd tend to suspect that an efficiency in the 50% region would
point to the memory bus on a dual channel capable motherboard running in
single-channel mode for some reason.

> Though SiSoft Sandra has become a much more reliable source of information
> about systems it inspects over the years, there are still likely to be
> cases, as in the past, when it reports more than it can know.

Sandra is like any woman. Try as hard as she might, she's prone to the odd
misstatement, befuddlement, and even the odd outright lie.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom