Overclocking Prescot 3.2Ghz

Hi,

I have an Asus P4S800 motherboard (800Mhz Fsb) with an Intel Prescot
3.2Ghz Cpu installed on it. I've also installed an Arctic Cooler
heatsink and fan which i may say works Great (39C - 50C<-max load).
My question is how can i get it to run @ 4Ghz or more without frying
the cpu or board? I read about someone on Newegg.com that overclocked
theirs to 4500Mhz, is this possible? I thought having 3(three) fans
(80-80-120) intake and one outake fan (120) would keep my system cool
enough to be overclocked; tried 3.9Ghz and system refused to boot until
i let it cool down for 2 minutes. I know it's kinda long, but any help
would be appreciated.

System Spec:
1Gb DDR Ram
DVD Burner 16x (dual layer)
120Gb HDD @ 7200rpm
Chaintech Geforce 6600 AGP 8x(256Mb)
Intel Prescot 3.2Ghz Cpu
Asus P4S800 Motherboard
LG 17' Flatron LCD (L1720P)
Sound Blaster Live 24Bit

'Cable_TXG' wrote, in part:
| My question is how can i get it to run @ 4Ghz or more without frying
| the cpu or board?
_____

Read previous posts on overclocking. Most of the details you give aren't
relevant; you've got a lot of study to do.

Look at the reply I posted to "Need step by step guide for overclocking!", a
question posted only a four threads prior to your post. It should get you
started on the right road, but you will have to do the heavy lifting.

Phil Weldon

"Cable_TXG" <cable_txg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an Asus P4S800 motherboard (800Mhz Fsb) with an Intel Prescot
> 3.2Ghz Cpu installed on it. I've also installed an Arctic Cooler
> heatsink and fan which i may say works Great (39C - 50C<-max load).
> My question is how can i get it to run @ 4Ghz or more without frying
> the cpu or board? I read about someone on Newegg.com that overclocked
> theirs to 4500Mhz, is this possible? I thought having 3(three) fans
> (80-80-120) intake and one outake fan (120) would keep my system cool
> enough to be overclocked; tried 3.9Ghz and system refused to boot until
> i let it cool down for 2 minutes. I know it's kinda long, but any help
> would be appreciated.
>
> System Spec:
> 1Gb DDR Ram
> DVD Burner 16x (dual layer)
> 120Gb HDD @ 7200rpm
> Chaintech Geforce 6600 AGP 8x(256Mb)
> Intel Prescot 3.2Ghz Cpu
> Asus P4S800 Motherboard
> LG 17' Flatron LCD (L1720P)
> Sound Blaster Live 24Bit

"Cable_TXG" <cable_txg@hotmail.com> wrote in message...
> My question is how can i get it to run @ 4Ghz or more

Maybe you can't, as some CPU's simply won't go that fast no matter what you
do. Maybe you can, but the time, effort and expense necessary will be
prohibitive.

> without frying the cpu or board?

It is difficult for you to literally fry (i.e. electronically or physically
damage) modern processors and motherboards. Instability to the point of
unusability, and ultimately their onboard thermal protection systems, will
mean that in practice you'll do something about the problem before damage
occurs.

> I read about someone on Newegg.com that overclocked
> theirs to 4500Mhz, is this possible?

Maybe, maybe not. All processors are different and all have different
ultimate capabilities. However you haven't told us what sort of cooling was
necessary to achieve this 4.5GHz. It is likely to take considerably more
than your air-air heatsink.

> I thought having 3(three) fans (80-80-120) intake and one outake fan
> (120) would keep my system cool enough to be overclocked;

Why do you "think" this level of case airflow will be sufficient? Your
motherboard gives you the ability to monitor system temperatures, and thus
puts you in a position to *know* whether the temperatures are within
desirable ranges or not.

> tried 3.9Ghz

Whoa. What about 3.3GHz, 3.4, 3.5, 3.55? If you just shoot for the bullseye
and miss, the way you're doing now, you learn precisely nothing. Start slow
and work up, and when the instability starts to hit, make sure the
temperatures are still acceptable, and if they are, change one parameter at
a time and see what it takes to restore stable operation. Then work up a
little further.

> I know it's kinda long, but any help would be appreciated.

Your post is full of information, not much of which is particularly
relevant. As Phil says, there's plenty of info out there that'll teach you
how to overclock your system. The first thing you gotta do is get this silly
"target" of "4GHz and faster" out of your head, that isn't the way things
work. The point of overclocking is to find the ultimate potential of *your*
system. The raw figures achieved by other people have little value,
especially when you don't know what cooling, memory and so-forth was used to
achieve them.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom