all in one printer/scanner/copier/fax

Hi,
I just took a look at the Lexmark x6170 and was impressed with the
features and the price. After reading some reviews, it looks like it
doesn't have good print quality and tends to jam. What is a good all in
one unit in the $200-$250 range? Crips text and nice color prints is an
important feature. I will use it less as a copier and scanner.

Also, how do these units handle incoming faxes if you only have a single
phone line? What happens if you have an answering machine? Thanks.

JM
4 answers Last reply
More about printer scanner copier

    "Johnny" <johnny@what.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I just took a look at the Lexmark x6170 and was impressed with the
    > features and the price. After reading some reviews, it looks like it
    > doesn't have good print quality and tends to jam. What is a good all in
    > one unit in the $200-$250 range? Crips text and nice color prints is an
    > important feature. I will use it less as a copier and scanner.

    Canon MP730

    > Also, how do these units handle incoming faxes if you only have a single
    > phone line? What happens if you have an answering machine? Thanks.

    Single line not a problem, but you obviously can not fax and talk at same
    time. Answering machine also no problem as MP730 will auto detect fax and
    take call from answering machine if fax.

    "Johnny" <johnny@what.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I just took a look at the Lexmark x6170 and was impressed with the
    > features and the price. After reading some reviews, it looks like it
    > doesn't have good print quality and tends to jam. What is a good all in
    > one unit in the $200-$250 range? Crips text and nice color prints is an
    > important feature. I will use it less as a copier and scanner.
    >
    > Also, how do these units handle incoming faxes if you only have a single
    > phone line? What happens if you have an answering machine? Thanks.
    >
    > JM

    Before buying any printer but particularly a Lexmark, check the cost of
    replacement ink cartridges!
    www.coribright.com

    In article <slrnchku26.uj0.johnny@project-w.com>, johnny@what.com
    says...
    > Also, how do these units handle incoming faxes if you only have a single
    > phone line? What happens if you have an answering machine? Thanks.
    >
    > JM

    The best way to handle this is to use the machine's "mutliple ringing
    service," or "distinctive ring" feature. Most, if not all, machines
    today include this feature. You must contact your phone provider to set
    up another phone number on your existing single phone line. Thus, your
    single twisted-pair line will actually have two phone numbers assigned
    to it. When you fax number is dialed by someone, the ringer provides a
    "distinctive ring" (typically, two short rings), and the machine
    recognizes it as an incoming fax. The machines also have methods of
    incorporating answering machines into this design.

    I've used an old Brother MFC-5500ML in this design configuration for
    nearly 10 years, and it's a seamless operation. However, when you are
    automatically receiving a fax, you can't use the phone as you, of
    course, only have one phone line sharing both numbers.

    The phone company does charge a very minimal money fee for the
    "distinctive ring" service, but it's well worth it. My provider charges
    $1.50 per month.

    The biggest problem I had with this configuration was trying to make my
    regular fax "senders" understand the nature of the design. In many
    cases, they would send me a fax, and then wonder why they couldn't get
    through on my voice line while the fax was being sent. Most people
    think that if you have two phone numbers, you must have two physical
    phone lines! Not so with this feature offered by all telco providers.

    Don

    Johnny <johnny@what.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I just took a look at the Lexmark x6170 and was impressed with the
    > features and the price. After reading some reviews, it looks like it
    > doesn't have good print quality and tends to jam. What is a good all in
    > one unit in the $200-$250 range? Crips text and nice color prints is an
    > important feature. I will use it less as a copier and scanner.

    I've been looking at the Brother MFC-3820cn. Similar is the 3420c, but
    without the built-in ethernet and photo-media slots.

    cheers,

    Henry

Printers Scanners Peripherals