Question about hard drive noise in new Maxtor

A new 7200 Maxtor 160 GB internal I just put in ,oh 3 weeks ago, was
making a strange noise when we came home yesterday. Kind of
alternating "clicking noise".

The computer was locked up tight and required me to boot the thing to
get it unlocked.

Now I don't see it in Explorer or Powerdesk or Windows disk
management.

I have never had this problem ever. I've installed and used dozens of
Maxtors before and only had one die on me like this.

Win XP Pro
2.53 P4
2x 120 GB 7200 Maxtors on a raid ide
1x 40 GB 7200 Maxtor
ASUS P4B533-E

Think it's dead?

I have not even received the rebate yet is how new it is.

Roscoe aka MrShade

Roscoe Pendoscoe wrote:
> A new 7200 Maxtor 160 GB internal I just put in ,oh 3 weeks ago, was
> making a strange noise when we came home yesterday. Kind of
> alternating "clicking noise".

Doesn't sound good. Download Powermax and run it from a floppy. Note any
error codes produced.

http://maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Since the drive is new, and under warranty, try calling Maxtor tech support.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:04:37 GMT, "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote:

>Roscoe Pendoscoe wrote:
>> A new 7200 Maxtor 160 GB internal I just put in ,oh 3 weeks ago, was
>> making a strange noise when we came home yesterday. Kind of
>> alternating "clicking noise".
>
>Doesn't sound good. Download Powermax and run it from a floppy. Note any
>error codes produced.
>
>http://maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

1.Used Powermax and get 004 code (can't see it) no drive there it says
2. New cable
3.different power connection although it's definately spinning
4. Ran Norton Anti virus

On a new start the clicking noise returns then stops

bios doesn't see it
nothing sees it

I may try RMA through web site

Request RMA imidiatly!

Go to Maxtor support online.

Silva

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:59:13 +0100, "Manuel Silva"
<minasdomingos@sapo.pt> wrote:

>Request RMA imidiatly!
>
>Go to Maxtor support online.
>
>Silva

Did an RMA Tuesday. PAINLESS by phone. I had registered all my drives
and that made it much easier.

Roscoe