Power Supply Problem??

I took apart a power supply to clean it; looked like it ran inside a vaccuum
cleaner bag.

When I hooked it back up, the power will come on for a few seconds, and the
fans in the power supply and on the chip start, but about the time the POST
test should start, everything shuts down. What would do this?

I never removed a power supply before; could I have missed hooking up
something? There's a wide plug into the mobo, and power to the drives. Any
help appreciated. Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about power supply problem

    TANKIE wrote:

    > I took apart a power supply to clean it; looked like it ran inside a vaccuum
    > cleaner bag.
    >
    > When I hooked it back up, the power will come on for a few seconds, and the
    > fans in the power supply and on the chip start, but about the time the POST
    > test should start, everything shuts down. What would do this?
    >
    > I never removed a power supply before; could I have missed hooking up
    > something? There's a wide plug into the mobo, and power to the drives. Any
    > help appreciated. Thanks

    Disconnect all of your drives (and I mean ALL.) Leave just your MB connected.
    Does your power supply now start? AT or ATX?

    "TANKIE" <tankie@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I took apart a power supply to clean it; looked like it ran inside a
    vaccuum
    > cleaner bag.

    How did you clean it???? Did you use a brush, vacuum cleaner, or what????

    Did you use an anti-static wrist strap or ground yourself to your case while
    you worked on the power supply and your computer????

    > When I hooked it back up, the power will come on for a few seconds, and
    the
    > fans in the power supply and on the chip start, but about the time the
    POST
    > test should start, everything shuts down. What would do this?

    Any number of things: almost dead power supply, bad motherboard, bad
    processor, bad ram, just to name a few.

    > I never removed a power supply before; could I have missed hooking up
    > something? There's a wide plug into the mobo, and power to the drives.
    Any
    > help appreciated. Thanks

    Have you checked the ATX connector to ensure it is fully inserted in the
    motherboard socket? Is the ATX connector inserted with the correct
    orientation? (It should only fit one way but some people have managed to
    insert it backwards.)

    --
    callsignviper

    The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
    the right questions.

Homebuilt Hardware Power Supplies Power Systems