PC Gamer's '94 Dream Machine

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

< Amazing to look back at how expensive things were. >

5/04

$4k-$4800

P90
16MB RAM
540MB HD
SVGA 64-bit Video Card w/ 2 or 4MB RAM
4X CD-ROM
28.8k MODEM

--
"I know who I am, but I'm not the same every day. Sometimes I glam it up,
other times I'm more cute and casual. But for every style of me, I've got

    Ablang <StuffByHilaryDuff@ablang-duff.com> astounded us with:

    > < Amazing to look back at how expensive things were. >
    >
    > 5/04
    >
    > $4k-$4800
    >
    > P90
    > 16MB RAM
    > 540MB HD
    > SVGA 64-bit Video Card w/ 2 or 4MB RAM
    > 4X CD-ROM
    > 28.8k MODEM

    Heh, my first PC back in 1996 (Commodores before that)
    Gigabyte GA586VX mobo
    P100
    1200MB Connor CFS1275A (I still have it)
    16MB RAM
    S3 Trio64V+ 2MB
    Creative Vibra16
    8X CD-ROM

    What a BEAST!

    --
    Gene P
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    FWIW a mainline machine in the fall of '94 was a Gateway 2000 i386-25MHz.

    It consisted of 4MB FPM RAM, 80MB HD, 3.5" floppy, 5.25" floppy, 1MB vid
    card,
    keyboard & mouse, 14" monitor, no CD or modem, and sold for $2k.

    I recall as I first had an upgrade done to it, then later ventured out on my
    own and did
    my own upgrading, that I bumped the memory up from 4 MB to 16MB on a
    replacement
    mobo w/ a Cyrix 40MHz cpu that the EDO memory stick sold for $625 ( w/ some
    trade-in
    memory I was able to bring it down).

    Based on that kind of pricing scenario the 1GB of PC3200 (Corsair TwinX)
    that I just
    bought would have sold for $39,062.!

    Jeff

    "Ablang" <StuffByHilaryDuff@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
    > < Amazing to look back at how expensive things were. >
    >
    > 5/04
    >
    > $4k-$4800
    >
    > P90
    > 16MB RAM
    > 540MB HD
    > SVGA 64-bit Video Card w/ 2 or 4MB RAM
    > 4X CD-ROM
    > 28.8k MODEM
    >
    > --
    > "I know who I am, but I'm not the same every day. Sometimes I glam it up,
    > other times I'm more cute and casual. But for every style of me, I've got
    > the stuff to put together the look. Don't just live life, create it."
    > -- Stuff by Hilary Duff
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    I bought a "PC Professional" (later to be Quantex) 386-33 with 120MB drive
    and 4MB RAM in 1992. They had 486's out at the time I ordered, but those
    "screamers" were almost $3000. Too rich for me.
    FWIW: Intel introduced the 286 in 1982; the 386 in 1985; the 486 in 1989;
    the Pentium in 1993; the Pentium pro in 1995; the Pentium II in 1997; the
    celeron and Pentium III in 1999; and the p4 in 2000.
    I had the old 386 running until just last fall. I loaded Win95 on it (from
    floppys!) to try and blow it up but it just kept chugging along doing
    everything asked of it, just with a walker!

    "JHeyen" <me@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    > FWIW a mainline machine in the fall of '94 was a Gateway 2000 i386-25MHz.
    >
    > It consisted of 4MB FPM RAM, 80MB HD, 3.5" floppy, 5.25" floppy, 1MB vid
    > card,
    > keyboard & mouse, 14" monitor, no CD or modem, and sold for $2k.
    >
    > I recall as I first had an upgrade done to it, then later ventured out on
    my
    > own and did
    > my own upgrading, that I bumped the memory up from 4 MB to 16MB on a
    > replacement
    > mobo w/ a Cyrix 40MHz cpu that the EDO memory stick sold for $625 ( w/
    some
    > trade-in
    > memory I was able to bring it down).
    >
    > Based on that kind of pricing scenario the 1GB of PC3200 (Corsair TwinX)
    > that I just
    > bought would have sold for $39,062.!
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > "Ablang" <StuffByHilaryDuff@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
    > > < Amazing to look back at how expensive things were. >
    > >
    > > 5/04
    > >
    > > $4k-$4800
    > >
    > > P90
    > > 16MB RAM
    > > 540MB HD
    > > SVGA 64-bit Video Card w/ 2 or 4MB RAM
    > > 4X CD-ROM
    > > 28.8k MODEM
    > >
    > > --
    > > "I know who I am, but I'm not the same every day. Sometimes I glam it
    up,
    > > other times I'm more cute and casual. But for every style of me, I've
    got
    > > the stuff to put together the look. Don't just live life, create it."
    > > -- Stuff by Hilary Duff

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Ablang" <StuffByHilaryDuff@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message

    " $4k-$4800 "

    ....and you can build it second-hand for about $30 now.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    BP wrote:
    > I bought a "PC Professional" (later to be Quantex) 386-33 with 120MB drive
    > and 4MB RAM in 1992. They had 486's out at the time I ordered, but those
    > "screamers" were almost $3000. Too rich for me.
    > FWIW: Intel introduced the 286 in 1982; the 386 in 1985; the 486 in 1989;
    > the Pentium in 1993; the Pentium pro in 1995; the Pentium II in 1997; the
    > celeron and Pentium III in 1999; and the p4 in 2000.
    > I had the old 386 running until just last fall. I loaded Win95 on it (from
    > floppys!) to try and blow it up but it just kept chugging along doing
    > everything asked of it, just with a walker!

    I have a spare machine here:
    AMD 386-40 with 16 megs of ram running win95 just fine!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote in message
    > BP wrote:
    > > I bought a "PC Professional" (later to be Quantex) 386-33 with 120MB
    > > drive and 4MB RAM in 1992. They had 486's out at the time I ordered,
    > > but those "screamers" were almost $3000. Too rich for me.
    > > FWIW: Intel introduced the 286 in 1982; the 386 in 1985; the 486 in
    > > 1989; the Pentium in 1993; the Pentium pro in 1995; the Pentium II in
    > > 1997; the celeron and Pentium III in 1999;
    >
    > I didn't realise the Celeron wasn't released until '99. Was that in the
    Slot
    > 1 format as well? I thought they were around before that.

    The Celeron has a whole history of its own. It was originally released in
    April of 1998 to much press and public derision. It was essentially a
    Pentium II (Deschutes core) with all of it's level 2 cache and plastic
    casing removed. Intel did this because they were getting their lunch eaten
    by AMD's K6 and the Cyrix MII at the low end of the market and they needed
    to think fast. They came out with the Celeron A (Mendocino) in August 1998,
    another disappointment (except in the overclocking community). These were
    slot 1 units. The "official" socket 370, 466Mhz Celeron was released in
    April 1999.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:56:38 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote:

    >BP wrote:
    >> I bought a "PC Professional" (later to be Quantex) 386-33 with 120MB
    >> drive and 4MB RAM in 1992. They had 486's out at the time I ordered,
    >> but those "screamers" were almost $3000. Too rich for me.
    >> FWIW: Intel introduced the 286 in 1982; the 386 in 1985; the 486 in
    >> 1989; the Pentium in 1993; the Pentium pro in 1995; the Pentium II in
    >> 1997; the celeron and Pentium III in 1999;
    >
    >I didn't realise the Celeron wasn't released until '99. Was that in the Slot
    >1 format as well? I thought they were around before that.

    Nope, they came along shortly after PII, as a reduced cache version.

    BTW, introduced and released are somewhat different things.

    >Cheers,
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:07:47 +0100, "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com>
    wrote:

    >"Ablang" <StuffByHilaryDuff@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
    >
    >" $4k-$4800 "
    >

    >...and you can build it second-hand for about $30 now.

    Or out of a dumpster.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Gary Tait" <classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:07:47 +0100, "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Ablang" <StuffByHilaryDuff@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >" $4k-$4800 "
    > >

    > >...and you can build it second-hand for about $30 now.
    > >

    > Or out of a dumpster.

    Literally. I sort of got hooked on collecting old processors because I was
    at the dump and someone had just dumped a load of about 30 old desktop boxes
    in the metal pile. I looked inside and they were intact (HD's too, when will
    they learn?). There were 486 processors of every flavor and a couple of
    Pentiums. Took those and a some sticks of 4MB SIMMs that worked great in the
    old 386! Going from 8 to 16 made the old girl a screamer!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:18:37 +0100, Conor <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >In article <Xns94C1732BFD330Vizor347@192.189.54.177>, Gene_P@soma.net
    >says...
    >> Ablang <StuffByHilaryDuff@ablang-duff.com> astounded us with:
    >>
    >> > < Amazing to look back at how expensive things were. >
    >> >
    >> > 5/04
    >> >
    >> > $4k-$4800
    >> >
    >> > P90
    >> > 16MB RAM
    >> > 540MB HD
    >> > SVGA 64-bit Video Card w/ 2 or 4MB RAM
    >> > 4X CD-ROM
    >> > 28.8k MODEM
    >> >

    >> Heh, my first PC back in 1996 (Commodores before that)
    >> Gigabyte GA586VX mobo
    >> P100
    >> 1200MB Connor CFS1275A (I still have it)
    >> 16MB RAM
    >> S3 Trio64V+ 2MB
    >> Creative Vibra16
    >> 8X CD-ROM
    >>
    >Mine Circa 1990..
    >
    >Intel 286.
    >2MB RAM
    >30MB HDD
    >Floppy
    >256K VGA card.

    sometime in the 80's
    Vic-20
    5k ram
    No HD
    No Floppy
    cassette tape backup
    God only knows what video outputting to TV
    "roll yer own" programs in a primitive form of Basic
    Upgraded to 11k of RAM to alleviate my own feeping creaturism

    1990?
    8088
    ? ram
    dual floppy
    no HD
    ? video
    Upgraded to dual doublespaced 10meg MFM drives

    199? (Moe)
    8086 (TURBO! 8MHZ!... or was it 6.....)
    DOS 4.01?
    16 color monitor!!! (no more damn green monitor!)
    modem!
    ¼meg Trident vid card!

    199? (Larry)
    80286
    24/7 BBS

    199? (Curley)
    80486
    DOS 5.01?
    Friend at work showed me Edit.com and I dropped that Edlin like
    nobody's business!

    199?
    first build from scratch
    P90
    1gig SCSI drive
    DOS 6.22 and DesqView
    Win 3.01 run occasionally as a program in a DesqView window

    199?
    P166

    199?
    K6-2(?) 450 (OC'd to sumpin'...448 I think)
    installed Win98 as an OS

    199?
    1gig(?) K6-3 (The great and all powerful OZ!)
    17" monitor some nitwit couldn't get working and threw in the dumpster
    retired the BBS

    200?
    3.06 OC to 3.5 (Colossus)
    ..5gig DDR ram (2-2-2-5)
    8 Ultra 160 SCSI drives (10k to 15k)
    Ti4800SE OC'd
    21" Sony monitor
    Win2k Pro

    Guess my memory isn't so hot especially for dates....
    Ahh the good old days, start a huge 30k download and go to bed.

    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:23:33 GMT, kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com (Overlord)
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:18:37 +0100, Conor <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <Xns94C1732BFD330Vizor347@192.189.54.177>, Gene_P@soma.net
    >>says...
    >>> Ablang <StuffByHilaryDuff@ablang-duff.com> astounded us with:

    >>> Heh, my first PC back in 1996 (Commodores before that)
    >>> Gigabyte GA586VX mobo
    >>> P100
    >>> 1200MB Connor CFS1275A (I still have it)
    >>> 16MB RAM
    >>> S3 Trio64V+ 2MB
    >>> Creative Vibra16
    >>> 8X CD-ROM
    >>>
    >>Mine Circa 1990..
    >>
    >>Intel 286.
    >>2MB RAM
    >>30MB HDD
    >>Floppy
    >>256K VGA card.
    >>
    >sometime in the 80's
    >Vic-20
    >5k ram

    Expandable though. And at that, you had about 3.5 K programming space.
    (1 K was system ram, you could use parts for ML code or look-up
    tables) 4K was user ram, the upper 512 bytes were screen memory (if
    you wanted custom characters, that took yet more away from the 3.5K
    ram.). In the middle somehere was 1K/4 bit colour memory.

    >No HD
    >No Floppy
    >cassette tape backup
    >God only knows what video outputting to TV
    >"roll yer own" programs in a primitive form of Basic
    >Upgraded to 11k of RAM to alleviate my own feeping creaturism
    >
    >1990?
    >8088
    >? ram
    >dual floppy
    >no HD
    >? video
    >Upgraded to dual doublespaced 10meg MFM drives
    >
    >199? (Moe)
    >8086 (TURBO! 8MHZ!... or was it 6.....)
    >DOS 4.01?
    >16 color monitor!!! (no more damn green monitor!)
    >modem!
    >¼meg Trident vid card!
    >
    >199? (Larry)
    >80286
    >24/7 BBS
    >
    >199? (Curley)
    >80486
    >DOS 5.01?
    >Friend at work showed me Edit.com and I dropped that Edlin like
    >nobody's business!
    >
    >199?
    >first build from scratch
    >P90
    >1gig SCSI drive
    >DOS 6.22 and DesqView
    >Win 3.01 run occasionally as a program in a DesqView window
    >
    >199?
    >P166
    >
    >199?
    >K6-2(?) 450 (OC'd to sumpin'...448 I think)
    >installed Win98 as an OS
    >
    >199?
    >1gig(?) K6-3 (The great and all powerful OZ!)
    >17" monitor some nitwit couldn't get working and threw in the dumpster
    >retired the BBS
    >
    >200?
    >3.06 OC to 3.5 (Colossus)
    >.5gig DDR ram (2-2-2-5)
    >8 Ultra 160 SCSI drives (10k to 15k)
    >Ti4800SE OC'd
    >21" Sony monitor
    >Win2k Pro
    >
    >Guess my memory isn't so hot especially for dates....
    >Ahh the good old days, start a huge 30k download and go to bed.
    >
    >~~~~~~
    >Bait for spammers:
    >root@localhost
    >postmaster@localhost
    >admin@localhost
    >abuse@localhost
    >postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    >uce@ftc.gov
    >~~~~~~
    >Remove "spamless" to email me.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com (Overlord) wrote in message news:<4071623a.194337343@news.central.cox.net>...
    > sometime in the 80's
    > Vic-20
    > 5k ram
    > No HD
    > No Floppy
    > cassette tape backup
    > God only knows what video outputting to TV
    > "roll yer own" programs in a primitive form of Basic
    > Upgraded to 11k of RAM to alleviate my own feeping creaturism

    Well, if it's jumped away from IBM compatibles, then
    I've had computers for a quarter century, and right about
    now marks the anniversary of bringing home the first computer.

    A MOS Technology KIM-1.

    1K of memory. Calculator-style keyboard and readout. Cassette interface.
    6502 CPU running at slightly under 1MHz.

    And yes, you could get "junk" computers back then. While it sold
    for hundreds of dollars at the time, I got it for free. There
    had been a seminar on microprocessors at a friend's workplace,
    and a KIM-1 had been part of the package. A co-worker of his
    didn't want the thing, so I got it.

    My second computer came in 1981, an OSI Superboard II. Again
    a 1MHz 6502, but with a modification it could run at 2MHz, which
    gave it a rather snappy response. 4K of memory built in, but
    sockets for another 4K and when I bought it I bought the extra 4K.
    Microsoft BASIC in ROM. Again a cassette interface, though
    OSI did make a disk drive controller if you were willing to pay
    the high price. The video interface had 32 characters across,
    and something like 16 lines, though the "II" was advanced over
    the original model and had hardware that allowed for 80 columns
    by I forget what if you were willing to write the software
    and load it each time you turned on the computer. I paid something
    like $500 for it, and that was downright cheap here in Canada.

    My first printer, a crummy dot-matrix with no lowercase, was
    $500 in the fall of 1982.

    I didn't get a floppy drive until 1984. ONe floppy and a controller
    cost $500. A box of ten name brand floppies were fifty dollars.
    I paid something like $80 for 64K of RAM that year.

    I didn't get a hard drive until December of 1993. And that was
    the year that I got a computer that most people would recognize,
    a worn out Mac Plus that was about to be tossed out.

    I threw together some scrap parts to make an IBM compatible
    about 1992, but I never used it as a main computer, and other
    than trying it, never really used it.

    I never used an IBM compatible until mid-2001.

    I've never run Windows, though I did have DOS for the 1992 computer.

    Michael

Homebuilt Hardware Systems