Decent Barebones or HPC(?) case with 2x5.25 drives

Archived from groups: alt.comp.case-mods,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi there,

I'm building a media centre for my lounge, and have been searching
everywhere for a decent case.

There's loads of barebones systems out there - some of them with
decent aesthetics, and some of those are extremely quiet; but most of
them only permit *one* 5.25" drive.

I'm hunting for a case with two, so that I can perform DVD or CD
writing, PVR, etc. while I'm watching a DVD, for example.

Does anyone know of a nice case with this spec? I've found one that's
close - the Coolermaster ATC-620 (http://tinyurl.com/ypwsr), but at
£200ish it's more than many barebones - before motherboard or PSU!

(Other reqs for the unit are 3 PCI slots, 3.5" HDD, and maybe
something that'll permit a full AGP slot)

Thanks!

Damian

"Damian Skeeles" <dskeeles@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I'm building a media centre for my lounge, and have been searching
> everywhere for a decent case.
>
> There's loads of barebones systems out there - some of them with
> decent aesthetics, and some of those are extremely quiet; but most of
> them only permit *one* 5.25" drive.
>
> I'm hunting for a case with two, so that I can perform DVD or CD
> writing, PVR, etc. while I'm watching a DVD, for example.
>
> Does anyone know of a nice case with this spec? I've found one that's
> close - the Coolermaster ATC-620 (http://tinyurl.com/ypwsr), but at
> £200ish it's more than many barebones - before motherboard or PSU!
>
> (Other reqs for the unit are 3 PCI slots, 3.5" HDD, and maybe
> something that'll permit a full AGP slot)
>
> Thanks!
>

> Damian

I like the following Inwin model from Newegg. But throw away that power
supply and replace it with something decent! If you want to keep it quiet,
buy a Seasonic power supply. Newegg also allows you to search by number of
5.25" slots, so check out the rest of them there.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-108-261&depa=0

On 6 Apr 2004 16:34:52 -0700, dskeeles@yahoo.com (Damian Skeeles)
wrote:

Might look for a Lian-Li PC3900. I dont know if they still make them.
They are silver.

On 7 Apr 2004 15:29:58 -0700, dskeeles@yahoo.com (Damian Skeeles) wrote:

>> Yes, the Antec Overture looks beautiful - but tends towards cooling
>> problems: The 8 cm PSU fan is within the interior of the case, and
>> there is only the 92 mm fan for blowing the hot air out of the case.
>
>I guess that would lead to a fair bit of noise then... It's
>frustrating that it's an important factor in a media system, and
>something you just can't judge until you plug the thing in...

Actually so far as minimal size HTPCs go, having a 92mm fan is somewhat of
a luxury, most tiny cases have 60-80mm fan(s). Perhaps the key to a good
setup is choosing a component set with only moderate heat. You certainly
don't need parts that produce 200W of heat.

Last Boy Scout <LastBoyScout@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message news:<19k970dt5cg253mt6ms401l0065uln4n0p@4ax.com>...
> On 6 Apr 2004 16:34:52 -0700, dskeeles@yahoo.com (Damian Skeeles)
> wrote:
>
> Might look for a Lian-Li PC3900. I dont know if they still make them.
> They are silver.

Cool - thanks. I'll take a look.

Damian

HAI FINITO DI ROMPERE I COGLIONI, BRUTTO STRONZO? FOTTITI

dskeeles@yahoo.com (Damian Skeeles) wrote in message news:<2c98e651.0404131427.384cb3ce@posting.google.com>...
> Last Boy Scout <LastBoyScout@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message news:<19k970dt5cg253mt6ms401l0065uln4n0p@4ax.com>...
> > On 6 Apr 2004 16:34:52 -0700, dskeeles@yahoo.com (Damian Skeeles)
> > wrote:
> >
> > Might look for a Lian-Li PC3900. I dont know if they still make them.
> > They are silver.
>
> Cool - thanks. I'll take a look.
>

> Damian

Max Colombo wrote:

<snip>

>>>Might look for a Lian-Li PC3900. I dont know if they still make them.
>>>They are silver.
>>
>>Cool - thanks. I'll take a look.
>>

>>Damian

You might want to take a look at the Soltek QBIC EQ370X range of
barebones PC's as well.

http://www.soltek-computer.de/soltek/product/qbic.php?isbn_st=SL-B7A-F&qisbn_st=EQ3702

I order the EQ3702 a couple of weeks ago from Overlocks and am pretty
pleased with it. The only thing that I might change on it though is the
CPU fan as it's pretty noisy when running at full speed. I'm not
overlocking the system though, so for the time being I've lowered the
speed in the BIOS which makes the noise level more acceptable.

One thing about this system though is that it might have trouble fitting
a full length PCI or AGP card. If you have a full size 5.25 device in
the second bay then it may well obstruct the AGP/PCI card. It's one of
those things that you'll have to check out carefully before purchase I
guess.

--
Regards,
Jason

To email replace nospam4me with blueyonder

Archived from groups: alt.comp.case-mods,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Damian Skeeles" <dskeeles@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I'm building a media centre for my lounge, and have been searching
> everywhere for a decent case.
>
> There's loads of barebones systems out there - some of them with
> decent aesthetics, and some of those are extremely quiet; but most of
> them only permit *one* 5.25" drive.
>
> I'm hunting for a case with two, so that I can perform DVD or CD
> writing, PVR, etc. while I'm watching a DVD, for example.
>
> Does anyone know of a nice case with this spec? I've found one that's
> close - the Coolermaster ATC-620 (http://tinyurl.com/ypwsr), but at
> £200ish it's more than many barebones - before motherboard or PSU!
>
> (Other reqs for the unit are 3 PCI slots, 3.5" HDD, and maybe
> something that'll permit a full AGP slot)

Just a bare case, but the d.Vine systems work well as theatre PCs.

http://www.ahanix.com/dvine4.html

I have the 3-model, which has a single from drive bay. The case can hold a
full-size ATX board.
--
Zamboni