Gravis Eliminator dual joystick / Win XP / Mame32 ?

WHen I fired up Robotron, to test it with this dual joystick, the advanced
options "joystick" was greyed out. I guess that's because in the control
panel / game controllers there is no joystick - only this gravis device.
I am running XP Pro. Am I out of luck?

Despite all prevention efforts, "Carl Grossman" <cheezeface@aol.com>
wrote in news:jaGue.3758$tA.208@trnddc06:

> WHen I fired up Robotron, to test it with this dual joystick, the
> advanced options "joystick" was greyed out. I guess that's because in
> the control panel / game controllers there is no joystick - only this
> gravis device. I am running XP Pro. Am I out of luck?

I used dual sticks on my Eliminator (Eliminator Aftershock to be precise)
for Robotron. I haven't played it in the last couple releases, but I never
had issues.

--
Slor

Hmmmm. Can you give me some ideas about what I'm missing? If you go to
game controllres, does it show up as a joystick (or better - even two?) . .
or does it show up as "Gravis Eliminator Aftershock" (as mine does)?
Perhaps thats a clue.

In the pasat, when I HAVE had 2 joysticks working, they would show up as
separate and distinct devices (2-button, 2 axis joystick - or something
like that). I could go to properties and calibrate either one. But, as I
said, game controls no longer shows ANY joystick, let alone 2. It simply
shows that single gravis entry.
So in the options tab, "Joystick" is grayed out . If I remove it and put
back a single joystick on the sound cards, THAT at least works - i see it in
my control panel as a joystick and the advanced options tab lets me check
it.

Might it be related to my version of mame? I'm using mame32 - vers 0.31.1.
Does that matter? I know I USED to be able to do this with two separate
joysticks and this same version of MAME before. But not on this computer.
Any thoughts would be OH SO GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, folks

With this Eliminator aftersohook, hmm. oh

wrote in news:kl8ve.1623$J12.755@trnddc05:

> Hmmmm. Can you give me some ideas about what I'm missing? If you go
> to game controllres, does it show up as a joystick (or better - even
> two?) . . or does it show up as "Gravis Eliminator Aftershock" (as
> mine does)? Perhaps thats a clue.

It shows up just like yours. Did you install the driver software from
Gravis?

> Might it be related to my version of mame? I'm using mame32 - vers
> 0.31.1. Does that matter? I know I USED to be able to do this with
> two separate joysticks and this same version of MAME before. But not
> on this computer. Any thoughts would be OH SO GREATLY appreciated.
> Thanks, folks

I couldn't tell you anything about 0.31.1 - that's even too old for me. :)
However, I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't support DirectX and thus
doesn't support USB gamepads.

--
Slor