Value of integrated graphics on mobo

lem

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Approximately what would it cost to buy a seperate graphics card
offering the same sort of quality as the integrated graphics on a
quality motherboard like:

Asus A7N8X-VM (nVidia)
Asus A7V8X-VM (Via)
Gigabyte 7VN400M (Via)
MSI-K7M2G-L (nVidia)
etc

"Lem" <lem@mail.com> wrote in message
> Approximately what would it cost to buy a seperate graphics card
> offering the same sort of quality as the integrated graphics on a
> quality motherboard like:
>
> Asus A7N8X-VM (nVidia)
> Asus A7V8X-VM (Via)
> Gigabyte 7VN400M (Via)
> MSI-K7M2G-L (nVidia)
> etc

About $50 US or less. -Dave

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Lem wrote:
> Approximately what would it cost to buy a seperate graphics card
> offering the same sort of quality as the integrated graphics on a
> quality motherboard like:
>
> Asus A7N8X-VM (nVidia)
> Asus A7V8X-VM (Via)
> Gigabyte 7VN400M (Via)
> MSI-K7M2G-L (nVidia)

$30-40USD, at most.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Lem" <lem@mail.com> wrote in message
> Approximately what would it cost to buy a seperate graphics card
> offering the same sort of quality as the integrated graphics on a
> quality motherboard like:
>
> Asus A7N8X-VM (nVidia)
> Asus A7V8X-VM (Via)
> Gigabyte 7VN400M (Via)
> MSI-K7M2G-L (nVidia)
> etc

Although I have not used a mobo with on-board graphics for a while, I would
be surprised if the above would be better than a FX5200/Radeon 9200 at
around £30 + VAT?
--
Doug Ramage

"Doug Ramage" <namxat666@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Approximately what would it cost to buy a seperate graphics
>> card offering the same sort of quality as the integrated
>> graphics on a quality motherboard like:
>>
>> Asus A7N8X-VM (nVidia)
>> Asus A7V8X-VM (Via)
>> Gigabyte 7VN400M (Via)
>> MSI-K7M2G-L (nVidia)
>> etc
>
> Although I have not used a mobo with on-board graphics for a
> while, I would be surprised if the above would be better than
> a FX5200/Radeon 9200 at around £30 + VAT?
> --

I looked at Dabs for a price of the Radeon 9200. There was an SE
and a non-SE version:

Sapphire Radeon 9200 64MB DDR AGP RP VIVO £54.50 + P&P
http://tinyurl.com/2xp6g

Sapphire Radeon 9200SE 64MB DDR AGP VO £34.50 + P&P
http://tinyurl.com/2q9nl

I am told the SE version is much inferior. Are you referring to
the SE or non-SE version?

Just as "SE" seems important, are RP and VIVO important? (Whatever
they are?)

Lem wrote:
> I looked at Dabs for a price of the Radeon 9200. There was an SE
> and a non-SE version:
>
> Sapphire Radeon 9200 64MB DDR AGP RP VIVO £54.50 + P&P
> http://tinyurl.com/2xp6g
>
> Sapphire Radeon 9200SE 64MB DDR AGP VO £34.50 + P&P
> http://tinyurl.com/2q9nl
>
> I am told the SE version is much inferior. Are you referring to
> the SE or non-SE version?

IIRC the SE runs at a lower clock speed has fewer pipelines (or some are
disabled) than the non-SE.

I suspect that, like CPUs, they make one chip and test it at the design
spec, if it passes it becomes a non-SE, but if it fails then they test
it at a reduced spec, if it passes it becomes an SE, if it fails it gets
binned. This increases the overall yield from the wafers so keeps down
the price of the non-SE cards.

> Just as "SE" seems important, are RP and VIVO important? (Whatever
> they are?)

RP == Retail Pack(age)
VIVO == Video-In/Video-Out

The former means it comes in a colourful box with manual etc (and maybe
a bonus game or two). The latter means it has a S-Video connector.

Regards,

Parish

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:21:36 +0100, Parish wrote:

>> I am told the SE version is much inferior. Are you referring to the SE
>> or non-SE version?
>>

> IIRC the SE runs at a lower clock speed has fewer pipelines (or some are
> disabled) than the non-SE.
>
> I suspect that, like CPUs, they make one chip and test it at the design
> spec, if it passes it becomes a non-SE, but if it fails then they test
> it at a reduced spec, if it passes it becomes an SE, if it fails it gets
> binned. This increases the overall yield from the wafers so keeps down
> the price of the non-SE cards.

SE's are non-SE chips that failed QA. You can softmod most SE's back to
their original non-SE settings. You'll find 95% of the time they work fine
at the higher speed.

--
-Geoff

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Lem" <lem@mail.com> wrote in message
> Approximately what would it cost to buy a seperate graphics card
> offering the same sort of quality as the integrated graphics on a
> quality motherboard like:
>
> Asus A7N8X-VM (nVidia)
> Asus A7V8X-VM (Via)
> Gigabyte 7VN400M (Via)
> MSI-K7M2G-L (nVidia)
> etc

Onboard video is good for pretty much anything except gaming. The biggest
issue is they can share system memory, so it isn't available for programs to
run.

The only real thing to watch for is that you get something with an AGP slot
so you can add a real video card if you like.

Any low end addon card should be able to replace onboard and be an
improvement at the same time... $40 and under shouldn't be a problem.

Geoffrey King <gking@evildomain.dyndns.org> wrote:

> SE's are non-SE chips that failed QA. You can softmod most
> SE's back to their original non-SE settings. You'll find 95%
> of the time they work fine at the higher speed.

Very interesting. How do you do this?

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

> Geoffrey King <gking@evildomain.dyndns.org> wrote:
>>
>> SE's are non-SE chips that failed QA. You can softmod most
>> SE's back to their original non-SE settings. You'll find 95%
>> of the time they work fine at the higher speed.
>
> Very interesting. How do you do this?

Well I've only ever Softmodded a 9800SE back to original Pro specs. I used
the Omega drivers which include a softmod for the 9800SE.

http://www.omegacorner.com/

There's some links for other ATI cards here:

http://softmod.ocfaq.com/download.php

Bear in mind that cards modded in this fashion may

a) not work at all.
b) overheat.
c) suffer from display corruption and/or dead pixels.
d) cause general system instability. (usually due to b)

There's a reason why the card failed QA.

--
-Geoff

"Meg A Hurtz" <mega.hurtz@hertz.com> wrote in message
> >> IIRC the SE runs at a lower clock speed has fewer pipelines
> >> (or some are disabled) than the non-SE.
> >>
> >> I suspect that, like CPUs, they make one chip and test it at
> >> the design spec, if it passes it becomes a non-SE, but if it
> >> fails then they test it at a reduced spec, if it passes it
> >> becomes an SE, if it fails it gets binned. This increases the
> >> overall yield from the wafers so keeps down the price of the
> >> non-SE cards.
>
> Geoffrey King <gking@evildomain.dyndns.org> wrote:
> >
> > SE's are non-SE chips that failed QA. You can softmod most
> > SE's back to their original non-SE settings. You'll find 95%
> > of the time they work fine at the higher speed.
>
> Very interesting. How do you do this?

http://www.ocfaq.com/softmod/index.php
HTH
--
Rob

In article <94C4A991EF45271F3M4@64.62.191.8>, "Meg A Hurtz"
mega.hurtz@hertz.com says...
> >> IIRC the SE runs at a lower clock speed has fewer pipelines
> >> (or some are disabled) than the non-SE.
> >>
> >> I suspect that, like CPUs, they make one chip and test it at
> >> the design spec, if it passes it becomes a non-SE, but if it
> >> fails then they test it at a reduced spec, if it passes it
> >> becomes an SE, if it fails it gets binned. This increases the
> >> overall yield from the wafers so keeps down the price of the
> >> non-SE cards.
>
> Geoffrey King <gking@evildomain.dyndns.org> wrote:
> >
> > SE's are non-SE chips that failed QA. You can softmod most
> > SE's back to their original non-SE settings. You'll find 95%
> > of the time they work fine at the higher speed.
>
> Very interesting. How do you do this?

Flash the BIOS

"Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> "Lem" <lem@mail.com> wrote in message
> > Approximately what would it cost to buy a seperate graphics card
> > offering the same sort of quality as the integrated graphics on a
> > quality motherboard like:
> >
> > Asus A7N8X-VM (nVidia)
> > Asus A7V8X-VM (Via)
> > Gigabyte 7VN400M (Via)
> > MSI-K7M2G-L (nVidia)
> > etc
>
> Onboard video is good for pretty much anything except gaming. The biggest
> issue is they can share system memory, so it isn't available for programs
> run.
>
> The only real thing to watch for is that you get something with an AGP
slot
> so you can add a real video card if you like.
>
> Any low end addon card should be able to replace onboard and be an
> improvement at the same time... $40 and under shouldn't be a problem.

My mate has a 1000mhz Compaq SFF with 64mb o/b ram(256 sdram), he brings it
round for lan games and on SOF2 has to drop detail level nex to nothing, no
agp slot, so i installed a PCI 64mb gfx card, now it runs the same jsut as
good as my old 64mb AGP Gforce mx2 thing me jig card. found that hard to
belive esp due to the fact of the pci bus speed wotsit.

Im surprised how man pcs still dont have a agp slot.

Al

"JULIAN HALES" <julianhales@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> My mate has a 1000mhz Compaq SFF with 64mb o/b ram(256 sdram), he brings
it
> round for lan games and on SOF2 has to drop detail level nex to nothing,
no
> agp slot, so i installed a PCI 64mb gfx card, now it runs the same jsut as
> good as my old 64mb AGP Gforce mx2 thing me jig card. found that hard to
> belive esp due to the fact of the pci bus speed wotsit.
>
> Im surprised how man pcs still dont have a agp slot.

Speaking of which ... I've been trying for ages to find a PCI card with
S-Vid out for a mate of mine who has just such a computer (AGP-less that
is!). Don't want to spend more than about £20-30. Any ideas?

$40.00 - $75.00. Hard to find inexpensive video cards. The ATI9200
comes to mind. Nvida uses a MX440 or something like that. An ATI
9600SE may be pretty close to that price. Might find some used video
cards like a ATI 9000 PRO OR a Gforce2 GTS-V Chip.

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 12:41:40 +0100, Lem <lem@mail.com> wrote:

>Approximately what would it cost to buy a seperate graphics card
>offering the same sort of quality as the integrated graphics on a
>quality motherboard like:
>
> Asus A7N8X-VM (nVidia)
> Asus A7V8X-VM (Via)
> Gigabyte 7VN400M (Via)
> MSI-K7M2G-L (nVidia)
> etc

We can consider their value by looking at the cost of equivalent
performance... "quality" means little beyond performance unless you can
audition each particular motherboard to see how crisp the image is.

The Via integrated video is roughly on par with an nVidia TNT2 Pro. Today
you might find one of those on ebay or some salvage 'site for $15.

The nVidia, IF you use a pair of memory modules for greater performance,
is the rough equivalent of a Geforce4MX, which is about $30 value when you
catch such cards on sale or with a rebate.

The main issue might be what you need from the video. If you expect to
play anything but relatively old games, all but the nForce2 are too slow.
Either would be adequate for 2D use, email, office, web surfing and DVDs.

TRENDING THREADS