HDD?CD configuration

have currently upgraded my pc and have the following Hard Disc/CD set up

IDE 0 Master 80Gig
Slave 40Gig

IDE 1 Master DVD Writer
Slave CD Writer

The 80 G hard disc is partitioned as follows

10G XP
10G ME (hidden)
20G Data
20G Software
20G Music and Videos

The 40 G hard disc is partitioned as follows

10G Backup
30G Video editing work area

Does this set-up seem reasonable, it does work OK, but I feel that it is not
efficient

Thanks

Derrick

Derk wrote:
> have currently upgraded my pc and have the following Hard Disc/CD set up
>
> IDE 0 Master 80Gig
> Slave 40Gig
>
> IDE 1 Master DVD Writer
> Slave CD Writer
>
> Does this set-up seem reasonable, it does work OK, but I feel that it is not
> efficient

What makes you feel that it's not efficient? You can tell the
performance is slow? Or your partitioning is non-optimal?

Performance-wise, I'd have each HD as a master on its own channel.
When configuring IDE devices, just remember that you can't access both
devices on the same cable concurrently. Here's how I'd have your drives:

Master Slave
IDE0 80G DVD Writer
IDE1 40G CD Writer

This configuration will give you best performance:
- Accessing both hard drives concurrently
- Moving data from one HD to another
- Moving data from your video "scratch" space to the DVD writer
(all of which seem like reasonable requirements)

-WD