Cleaning Canon nozzles - i950 bubble jet.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
August 12, 2004 12:56:33 PM

Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
Anyone know?

DD
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 6:10:56 AM

"DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
> operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
> uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
> Anyone know?
>
> DD

On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs to be
cleaned or the printer stops working.

I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 6:21:37 AM

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:56:33 +1000, DD <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
>operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
>uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
> Anyone know?
>
>DD

If you look by the bottom rollers that lay just below the head there
is a sponge strip that runs along the bottom.. Only a small strip is
exposed.

Excess ink is absorbed in this sponge from cleaning and overspray of
the paper edge. . it is quite possible to blot up a bulk of it before
it becomes full. I am not postive but i believe that when the sponge
becomes saturated all the way to the left, that may set off the full
reservoir indicator and then requiring service.

Mine seems to be faintly wet for about 1/4 of the length. Kinda like a
lightly wet ink stamp pad.

See how far along to the left you can blot ink with a paper towel. If
its pretty wet, you might want to try just blotting or wicking up the
ink. It may save a trip for servicing.

I never run the head cleaning manually myself. I never had a reason
to. My printer seems to take care of itsself just fine.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 13, 2004 5:42:17 PM

How did you get to know about that? I have searched everywhere for some
information about this subject!

DD

B.B. from N.B. wrote:
> "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
>>operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
>>uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
>>Anyone know?
>>
>>DD
>>

> On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs to be
> cleaned or the printer stops working.
>
> I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 5:42:18 PM

> How did you get to know about that? I have searched everywhere for some
> information about this subject!
>
> DD
>
> B.B. from N.B. wrote:
> > "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
> >>operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
> >>uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
> >>Anyone know?
> >>
> >>DD
> >>

> > On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs to
be
> > cleaned or the printer stops working.
> >
> > I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.

The information is on the Canon website but as I mentioned I have an I850
and the information might be different for the I960.
August 13, 2004 6:45:28 PM

"B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<QqVSc.246537$%_6.121236@attbi_s01>...
> "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
> > operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
> > uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
> > Anyone know?
> >
> > DD
> >

> On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs to be
> cleaned or the printer stops working.

There's huge pad at the bottom of the printer and a big sponge, called
the "waste ink tank" :)

And it DOES NOT have to be cleaned. Never.

> I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.

Not wise of you to do that.
August 13, 2004 8:50:04 PM

beezer wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:56:33 +1000, DD <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
>>operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
>>uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
>> Anyone know?
>>
>>DD
>

> If you look by the bottom rollers that lay just below the head there
> is a sponge strip that runs along the bottom.. Only a small strip is
> exposed.
>
> Excess ink is absorbed in this sponge from cleaning and overspray of
> the paper edge. . it is quite possible to blot up a bulk of it before
> it becomes full. I am not postive but i believe that when the sponge
> becomes saturated all the way to the left, that may set off the full
> reservoir indicator and then requiring service.
>
> Mine seems to be faintly wet for about 1/4 of the length. Kinda like a
> lightly wet ink stamp pad.
>
> See how far along to the left you can blot ink with a paper towel. If
> its pretty wet, you might want to try just blotting or wicking up the
> ink. It may save a trip for servicing.
>
> I never run the head cleaning manually myself. I never had a reason
> to. My printer seems to take care of itsself just fine.

That was a good bit of information, I will do as you suggest when I
have the time and inclination. I have only had the printer for a few
months and have not had reason to use it much until now. I was printing
some snow scenes [Yes we do get snow in Australia - in some parts!],
anyway, the snow printed pink then when I printed another after filling
the photo cyan tank, guess what? It printed light blue! To cut a long
story in half, it turned out to be a fault in the print program I was
using.
In an effort to find out what the cause was, I used the nozzle cleaning
and deep cleaning a lot more than I should have.

Thanks...

DD
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 2:49:38 AM

"B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
> > operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
> > uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
> > Anyone know?
> >
> > DD
> >

> On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs to
be
> cleaned or the printer stops working.
>
> I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.

I am assuming you refer to the Waste Ink Tank (not a tank in reality) and am
not sure where you got your information, but this does NOT need periodic
cleaning. With normal use it is rare one should ever need to have this type
service done during the life of the printer. I have had several of their
printers and never had to perform this. I have a S520 (low end) and even it
after nearly two years and numerous 700+ page jobs has never given a
problem.

If service is needed in the Waste Ink area the printer will trigger an error
code to indicate this. Don't waste your time or money.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 2:51:51 AM

> "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > How did you get to know about that? I have searched everywhere for some
> > information about this subject!
> >
> > DD
> >
> > B.B. from N.B. wrote:
> > > "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs
> be
> > > cleaned or the printer stops working.
> > >
> > > I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.
> > >

> The information is on the Canon website but as I mentioned I have an I850
> and the information might be different for the I960.

All models have similar function and NONE should need service on this under
normal circumstances. If it does, the printer will flash an error code
indicating it and that is the ONLY time service should be performed.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 2:58:04 AM

"beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:56:33 +1000, DD <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
> >operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
> >uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
> > Anyone know?
> >
> >DD
>

> If you look by the bottom rollers that lay just below the head there
> is a sponge strip that runs along the bottom.. Only a small strip is
> exposed.
>
> Excess ink is absorbed in this sponge from cleaning and overspray of
> the paper edge. . it is quite possible to blot up a bulk of it before
> it becomes full. I am not postive but i believe that when the sponge
> becomes saturated all the way to the left, that may set off the full
> reservoir indicator and then requiring service.

While you are partially right this particular sponge absorbs ink from
overspray while performing borderless prints, but does not during a cleaning
cycle. It also does not have any part in triggering a Waste Ink error as
that is an entirely differnt part in the printer with its own method of
detecting need for service.

> Mine seems to be faintly wet for about 1/4 of the length. Kinda like a
> lightly wet ink stamp pad.
>
> See how far along to the left you can blot ink with a paper towel. If
> its pretty wet, you might want to try just blotting or wicking up the
> ink. It may save a trip for servicing.

Certainly not a recommended practice. Again, has nothing to due with service
error indicators and attempting this may infact cause problems should you
get ink on the rollers (causing vertical lines on your print outs) or on the
encoder strip (destroying any chance of a succesful head alignment without
service).

> I never run the head cleaning manually myself. I never had a reason
> to. My printer seems to take care of itsself just fine.

As it is designed to do!
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 3:09:51 AM

> beezer wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:56:33 +1000, DD <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
> >>operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
> >>uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
> >> Anyone know?
> >>
> >>DD
> >

> > If you look by the bottom rollers that lay just below the head there
> > is a sponge strip that runs along the bottom.. Only a small strip is
> > exposed.
> >
> > Excess ink is absorbed in this sponge from cleaning and overspray of
> > the paper edge. . it is quite possible to blot up a bulk of it before
> > it becomes full. I am not postive but i believe that when the sponge
> > becomes saturated all the way to the left, that may set off the full
> > reservoir indicator and then requiring service.
> >
> > Mine seems to be faintly wet for about 1/4 of the length. Kinda like a
> > lightly wet ink stamp pad.
> >
> > See how far along to the left you can blot ink with a paper towel. If
> > its pretty wet, you might want to try just blotting or wicking up the
> > ink. It may save a trip for servicing.
> >
> > I never run the head cleaning manually myself. I never had a reason
> > to. My printer seems to take care of itsself just fine.
> >

> That was a good bit of information, I will do as you suggest when I
> have the time and inclination. I have only had the printer for a few
> months and have not had reason to use it much until now. I was printing
> some snow scenes [Yes we do get snow in Australia - in some parts!],
> anyway, the snow printed pink then when I printed another after filling
> the photo cyan tank, guess what? It printed light blue! To cut a long
> story in half, it turned out to be a fault in the print program I was
> using.
> In an effort to find out what the cause was, I used the nozzle cleaning
> and deep cleaning a lot more than I should have.

As a general rule when experiencing your type problem the first thing to
check would be the Nozzle Check.
If all test patterns are complete (refer to manual), then printhead and or
cleanings are not the issue and cleanings is simply a waste of ink. If the
patterns are incomplete 3-4 cleanings max is all that should be needed. If
under warranty, call for possible replacement printhead.

Next step would be to verify that inks are installed in proper positions
paying special attention that photo ink is not in a regular ink position.

Still have problems, check driver settings and if using a color profile in
your application then do not set a color profile in the driver. Best to
leave the driver on auto.

Then try a different image. If the photo being printed is from a digital
camera thats 'white balance' setting was slightly off, the image may look
fine on monitor, but print with a pink or blue hue.

Try the image on plain paper. This is especially important when using 3rd
party inks or papers as the driver settings are optimized for Canon inks and
specialty papers. It is not unusual for the chemical content to react
differently with some paper emulsions and result in a color shift.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 3:10:19 AM

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

> "B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
> > > operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
> > > uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
> > > Anyone know?
> > >
> > > DD
> > >

> > On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs to
> be
> > cleaned or the printer stops working.
> >
> > I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.
> >

> I am assuming you refer to the Waste Ink Tank (not a tank in reality) and
am
> not sure where you got your information, but this does NOT need periodic
> cleaning. With normal use it is rare one should ever need to have this
type
> service done during the life of the printer. I have had several of their
> printers and never had to perform this. I have a S520 (low end) and even
it
> after nearly two years and numerous 700+ page jobs has never given a
> problem.
>
> If service is needed in the Waste Ink area the printer will trigger an
error
> code to indicate this. Don't waste your time or money.

Actually, it turned out to be a bad printhead that was causing the error
message. I was reading the number of flashes of orange incorrectly.

I did take it to a service center. They replaced the printhead on warranty
and it is now printing fine again.

They also told me that the waste overflow almost never needs to be cleaned
or serviced.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 3:11:05 AM

"Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
> > > operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
> > > uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
> > > Anyone know?
> > >
> > > DD
> > >

> > On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs to
be
> > cleaned or the printer stops working.
>
> There's huge pad at the bottom of the printer and a big sponge, called
> the "waste ink tank" :)
>
> And it DOES NOT have to be cleaned. Never.
>
> > I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.
>
> Not wise of you to do that.

Why would it not be wise to bring my printer to a service center if it isn't
printing?

Who better to take care of it?
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 3:11:06 AM

"B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D EQVc.292901$a24.32815@attbi_s03...

> "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs
> be
> > > cleaned or the printer stops working.
> >
> > There's huge pad at the bottom of the printer and a big sponge, called
> > the "waste ink tank" :)
> >
> > And it DOES NOT have to be cleaned. Never.
> >
> > > I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.
> >
> > Not wise of you to do that.
>
> Why would it not be wise to bring my printer to a service center if it
isn't
> printing?
>
> Who better to take care of it?

I am curious to hear this response myself ???
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 8:16:56 AM

> > be
> > >
> > > There's huge pad at the bottom of the printer and a big sponge, called
> > > the "waste ink tank" :)
> > >
> > > And it DOES NOT have to be cleaned. Never.

> > > Not wise of you to do that.
> >
> > Why would it not be wise to bring my printer to a service center if it
> isn't
> > printing?
> >
> > Who better to take care of it?
> >

> I am curious to hear this response myself ???

Here's one.
It would depend upon the cost and/or if the service is covered by warranty.
This was in reference to an i850 (replaced by the i560). A quick search
shows a new i560 can be purchased on Amazon for $78.84 or Newegg.com for
$76.99 - both with free shipping. I've seen them locally at Office Depot and
Sam's for less than that and then a rebate was also available which really
cuts the cost. Subtract the value of the OEM ink tanks included with the new
printer and you have the net cost of the printer which would be somewhere
around $35.00 before any rebates. Also to consider is the distance and/or
cost of shipping or driving to the service center along with the length of
time it is expected to be in the shop. Just my thoughts.

Ron Cohen

---
AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
August 22, 2004 11:01:48 AM

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message news:<FNTVc.5963$Ka6.486@okepread03>...
> "B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D EQVc.292901$a24.32815@attbi_s03...
> >
> > "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > "B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> cleaning

> be
> > >
> > > There's huge pad at the bottom of the printer and a big sponge, called
> > > the "waste ink tank" :)
> > >
> > > And it DOES NOT have to be cleaned. Never.

> > > Not wise of you to do that.
> >
> > Why would it not be wise to bring my printer to a service center if it
> isn't
> > printing?
> >
> > Who better to take care of it?
> >

> I am curious to hear this response myself ???

SATISFIED ?!?
August 22, 2004 11:02:11 AM

"B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<dEQVc.292901$a24.32815@attbi_s03>...
> "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs to
> be
> > > cleaned or the printer stops working.
> >
> > There's huge pad at the bottom of the printer and a big sponge, called
> > the "waste ink tank" :)
> >
> > And it DOES NOT have to be cleaned. Never.
> >
> > > I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.
> >
> > Not wise of you to do that.
>
> Why would it not be wise to bring my printer to a service center if it isn't
> printing?

1. If you would pay attention to what people write on this group, you
would know the answer. OK, in case you still don't know, I'll tell
you: you can reset the waste ink tank counter by pressing the buttons
on the printer in the right order (I published the procedure in one of
my previous posts).
So, no need to take the printer to the service.

2. Mo0st of these cases happen when the printer is out of warranty. So
you have to pay for it; how much? Depending on where you live from 10$
to 100$.

3. People in most service centers don't care about printers they
service and with such advanced machines like Canon's printers it is
very likely that they will screw sth up, which is very easy to do.

4. Not changing the pads (the waste ink tank), doesn't affect the
quality of the printouts.

5. Waste ink tank is basically for Canon to keep it's service centers
running.

> Who better to take care of it?

Printer takes care of itself the best. Just replace the ink tanks, be
sure to print sth at least once a month and everything should be OK.

Mike
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 12:35:55 PM

"Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> needs
> > > be

> > > Why would it not be wise to bring my printer to a service center if it
> > isn't
> > > printing?
> > >
> > > Who better to take care of it?
> > >

> > I am curious to hear this response myself ???
> >

> Here's one.
> It would depend upon the cost and/or if the service is covered by
warranty.
> This was in reference to an i850 (replaced by the i560). A quick search
> shows a new i560 can be purchased on Amazon for $78.84 or Newegg.com for
> $76.99 - both with free shipping. I've seen them locally at Office Depot
and
> Sam's for less than that and then a rebate was also available which really
> cuts the cost. Subtract the value of the OEM ink tanks included with the
new
> printer and you have the net cost of the printer which would be somewhere
> around $35.00 before any rebates. Also to consider is the distance and/or
> cost of shipping or driving to the service center along with the length of
> time it is expected to be in the shop. Just my thoughts.

If a service center replaced an i850 with an i560 that was a service center
issue, not a Canon issue. An i850 would be replaced (if needed) with an i860
not an i560. Now if the printer in this example was under warranty, a call
to Canon I am sure would have corrected this.
Also, your method for determining the net 'value' of the hardware is quite
flawed. It may look good on paper, but is not the way things work.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 10:10:58 PM

> "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
> > "B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:D EQVc.292901$a24.32815@attbi_s03...
> > >
> > > "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > cleaning

> > be

> > > Why would it not be wise to bring my printer to a service center if it
> > isn't
> > > printing?
> > >
> > > Who better to take care of it?
> > >

> > I am curious to hear this response myself ???
>
> SATISFIED ?!?

If you refer to your direct response to the OP, not particularly. Your
response is that of a very uninformed individual and a perfect example of
why folks should always double check the advice received here in the
newsgroups before proceeding to save themselves some grief.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 10:22:34 PM

> "B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > "B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > be
> > >
> > > There's huge pad at the bottom of the printer and a big sponge, called
> > > the "waste ink tank" :)
> > >
> > > And it DOES NOT have to be cleaned. Never.

> > > Not wise of you to do that.
> >
> > Why would it not be wise to bring my printer to a service center if it
isn't
> > printing?
>
> 1. If you would pay attention to what people write on this group, you
> would know the answer. OK, in case you still don't know, I'll tell
> you: you can reset the waste ink tank counter by pressing the buttons
> on the printer in the right order (I published the procedure in one of
> my previous posts).
> So, no need to take the printer to the service.

Perhaps wise not to pay attention to such advice. That is of course unless
you do not care for the printer or your desk.
I have seen on more than one occasion the results of those foolish enough to
simply reset the warning indicator without first performing the needed
service. Tell me, do you just reset your 'Check Engine' and 'Air Bag'
warning indicators on your vehicle also?

> 2. Mo0st of these cases happen when the printer is out of warranty. So
> you have to pay for it; how much? Depending on where you live from 10$
> to 100$.

$10 (or even more) would be worth it to keep an i950 PROPERLY operational.

> 3. People in most service centers don't care about printers they
> service and with such advanced machines like Canon's printers it is
> very likely that they will screw sth up, which is very easy to do.

Yes, you have demonstrated that some can easily screw up a perfectly good
printer.
Perhaps if you only use an 'AUTHORIZED' service center which has the service
manuals and procedures for each model, you will get correct service
performed.

> 4. Not changing the pads (the waste ink tank), doesn't affect the
> quality of the printouts.

Ahh, but you can in fact be sorely mistaken here. Bad purge means heads do
not clean properly which means possible streaking in printouts or premature
failure of the prunthead. Of course the damage that is possible to the top
of your desk is also a good reason not to follow such shoddy advice.

> 5. Waste ink tank is basically for Canon to keep it's service centers
> running.

You do of course realize that ALL printers have the same sort of mechanism
and that it is required for obvious reasons?

> > Who better to take care of it?
>
> Printer takes care of itself the best. Just replace the ink tanks, be
> sure to print sth at least once a month and everything should be OK.

So why do we print 'sth' once a month.
Simple fact is this is about your only correct statement. The printer does
generally take care of itself and with the exception of poor print quality
or a service/error indicator, no user intervention should be required.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 8:21:22 AM

> > Here's one.
> > It would depend upon the cost and/or if the service is covered by
> warranty.
> > This was in reference to an i850 (replaced by the i560). A quick search
> > shows a new i560 can be purchased on Amazon for $78.84 or Newegg.com for
> > $76.99 - both with free shipping. I've seen them locally at Office Depot
> and
> > Sam's for less than that and then a rebate was also available which
really
> > cuts the cost. Subtract the value of the OEM ink tanks included with the
> new
> > printer and you have the net cost of the printer which would be
somewhere
> > around $35.00 before any rebates. Also to consider is the distance
and/or
> > cost of shipping or driving to the service center along with the length
of
> > time it is expected to be in the shop. Just my thoughts.
> >

> If a service center replaced an i850 with an i560 that was a service
center
> issue, not a Canon issue. An i850 would be replaced (if needed) with an
i860
> not an i560. Now if the printer in this example was under warranty, a call
> to Canon I am sure would have corrected this.
> Also, your method for determining the net 'value' of the hardware is quite
> flawed. It may look good on paper, but is not the way things work.

Who said anything about a service center replacing an i850 with an i560? I
didn't. I referenced the i560 since it is based on the i850 and is a current
model. Will you please explain why my method of determining the net cost is
flawed? Considering that most people have to purchase replacement ink tanks
(except for those of us who refill) along with the other factors I
mentioned, it is a cost to consider. How much would you charge to perform
the type of service the OP is seeking? Can you provide some ballpark
estimates for what you think the going rate for this service would be? That
would be helpful information. Unless you really give out bargain rates, I
don't see how it would be more cost effective to spend the money to repair
an out of warranty low cost device instead of replacing it with a new one
which would be covered by warranty? You didn't provide any reasoning as to
why you state "It may look good on paper, but is not the way things work".
Why isn't it the way things work.
--
Ron Cohen

---
AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
August 23, 2004 8:57:40 AM

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message news:<QP8Wc.5341$L94.3665@fed1read07>...
> "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
> > > "B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:D EQVc.292901$a24.32815@attbi_s03...

> cleaning
> cleaning

> needs
> > > be

> called

> out.

> isn't

> > > I am curious to hear this response myself ???
> >
> > SATISFIED ?!?
>
> If you refer to your direct response to the OP, not particularly. Your
> response is that of a very uninformed individual and a perfect example of
> why folks should always double check the advice received here in the
> newsgroups before proceeding to save themselves some grief.

Well, the only one who seems to be uninformed here is YOU. A typical
person who doesn't know much about printers, just an oridinary home
user who is probably even afraid to open up the printer and see how
stupid things is he saying here. You don't know the mechanics, and all
your knowledge looks as if was taken from a printer MANUAL. Besides,
most of your responses is junk (no offence), because they are too
general and above that most of them (as shown in this thread) are
UNINFORMATIVE.

You will do more good and help more people if you stop posting to this
group.

Regards,
Mike
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 10:35:39 PM

> "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
> > "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

> > cleaning
> > cleaning

> > needs

> > called

> > out.

> > isn't

> > > SATISFIED ?!?
> >
> > If you refer to your direct response to the OP, not particularly. Your
> > response is that of a very uninformed individual and a perfect example
of
> > why folks should always double check the advice received here in the
> > newsgroups before proceeding to save themselves some grief.
>
> Well, the only one who seems to be uninformed here is YOU. A typical
> person who doesn't know much about printers, just an oridinary home
> user who is probably even afraid to open up the printer and see how
> stupid things is he saying here. You don't know the mechanics, and all
> your knowledge looks as if was taken from a printer MANUAL. Besides,
> most of your responses is junk (no offence), because they are too
> general and above that most of them (as shown in this thread) are
> UNINFORMATIVE.
>
> You will do more good and help more people if you stop posting to this
> group.

So let me get this straight, you are saying you have all this knowledge and
more access as you work on these printers all the time?
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 10:58:53 PM

> > > Here's one.
> > > It would depend upon the cost and/or if the service is covered by
> > warranty.
> > > This was in reference to an i850 (replaced by the i560). A quick
search
> > > shows a new i560 can be purchased on Amazon for $78.84 or Newegg.com
for
> > > $76.99 - both with free shipping. I've seen them locally at Office
Depot
> > and
> > > Sam's for less than that and then a rebate was also available which
> really
> > > cuts the cost. Subtract the value of the OEM ink tanks included with
the
> > new
> > > printer and you have the net cost of the printer which would be
> somewhere
> > > around $35.00 before any rebates. Also to consider is the distance
> and/or
> > > cost of shipping or driving to the service center along with the
length
> of
> > > time it is expected to be in the shop. Just my thoughts.
> > >

> > If a service center replaced an i850 with an i560 that was a service
> center
> > issue, not a Canon issue. An i850 would be replaced (if needed) with an
> i860
> > not an i560. Now if the printer in this example was under warranty, a
call
> > to Canon I am sure would have corrected this.
> > Also, your method for determining the net 'value' of the hardware is
quite
> > flawed. It may look good on paper, but is not the way things work.
> >

> Who said anything about a service center replacing an i850 with an i560? I
> didn't. I referenced the i560 since it is based on the i850 and is a
current
> model.

I was referencing the above statement "This was in reference to an i850
(replaced by the i560). "
Actually the 550 (not 560) and 850 would be a comparison, though neither is
based on the other.

Will you please explain why my method of determining the net cost is
> flawed? Considering that most people have to purchase replacement ink
tanks
> (except for those of us who refill) along with the other factors I
> mentioned, it is a cost to consider.

But you also need to consider that you can not use 'retail' cost figures and
that the manufactures are
not paying that amount for the included inks or the printer in the box.
Where have you factored in, marketing cost, packaging, bundled software
etc.?

> How much would you charge to perform
> the type of service the OP is seeking? Can you provide some ballpark
> estimates for what you think the going rate for this service would be?
That
> would be helpful information. Unless you really give out bargain rates, I
> don't see how it would be more cost effective to spend the money to repair
> an out of warranty low cost device instead of replacing it with a new one
> which would be covered by warranty? You didn't provide any reasoning as to
> why you state "It may look good on paper, but is not the way things work".
> Why isn't it the way things work.

Well shop rates vary greatly and many have different In vs Out of warranty
rates.
Some also charge 'Book' time and others charge minimum 1 Hr labor. This
alone can be a big difference.
I have seen the issue discussed here done in shop for as little as $40.
Considering how little there really is that can go wrong, this would be
reasonable. With a little mechanical ability one could even perform this
themselves for a fraction of that cost (and yes the parts are available to
those that would like to do this).
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 10:13:15 AM

> "Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> > > warranty.
> search
> for
> Depot
> > > and
> > really
> the
> > > new
> > somewhere
> > and/or
> length
> > of
> > > >

> > > If a service center replaced an i850 with an i560 that was a service
> > center
> > > issue, not a Canon issue. An i850 would be replaced (if needed) with
an
> > i860
> > > not an i560. Now if the printer in this example was under warranty, a
> call
> > > to Canon I am sure would have corrected this.
> > > Also, your method for determining the net 'value' of the hardware is
> quite
> > > flawed. It may look good on paper, but is not the way things work.
> > >

> > Who said anything about a service center replacing an i850 with an i560?
> > didn't. I referenced the i560 since it is based on the i850 and is a
> current
> > model.
>
> I was referencing the above statement "This was in reference to an i850
> (replaced by the i560). "
> Actually the 550 (not 560) and 850 would be a comparison, though neither
is
> based on the other.

I guess the Canon press releases are in error since they state the print
head technology is i850 based. The following is copied from a Canon press
release

" Dramatic improvements in speed and quality found in the i560 printer
compared to its predecessor — the i550 model — are based on the inclusion of
Canon technology found in the multi-award winning Canon i850 photo printer.
This technology includes the i850 unit's print head and many of the print
engine components "

> Will you please explain why my method of determining the net cost is
> > flawed? Considering that most people have to purchase replacement ink
> tanks
> > (except for those of us who refill) along with the other factors I
> > mentioned, it is a cost to consider.
>
> But you also need to consider that you can not use 'retail' cost figures
and
> that the manufactures are
> not paying that amount for the included inks or the printer in the box.
> Where have you factored in, marketing cost, packaging, bundled software
> etc.?

HUH???? Why should't the retail or street costs be used. That's what the
consumer will pay. It doesn't matter to the consumer how much the
manufacturer has invested in the box in terms of marketing cost, packaging,
bundled software, etc. The amount actually charged to the consumer is what
counts. Let's go over this one more time just in case you haven't actually
grasped what I'm getting at.

1. The printers in question are available in the sub $80 range from a
couple of online sources.
2. BestBuy.com currently has the printer for $89.99 before a $30.00 rebate
which drops the purchase cost to $59.99 (before sales tax).
3. Included with the new printer are consumables worth $48.99 based on
prices of the BCI-3 Multipack at BestBuy.com These items will eventually be
needed even if the user removes the partially used tanks from the old
printer and uses them in the new machine. This is definately a cost factor
to be considered.
4. That drops the effective cost of the printer to $11.00.
5. The printer will have a full warranty and thanks for mentioning the
bundled software. That could possibly make the deal even sweeter, but I'm
not factoring in that item since I don't know what s/w would be included
other than what Canon includes with every printer.

> > How much would you charge to perform
> > the type of service the OP is seeking? Can you provide some ballpark
> > estimates for what you think the going rate for this service would be?
> That
> > would be helpful information. Unless you really give out bargain rates,
> > don't see how it would be more cost effective to spend the money to
repair
> > an out of warranty low cost device instead of replacing it with a new
one
> > which would be covered by warranty? You didn't provide any reasoning as
> > why you state "It may look good on paper, but is not the way things
work".
> > Why isn't it the way things work.
> >

> Well shop rates vary greatly and many have different In vs Out of warranty
> rates.
> Some also charge 'Book' time and others charge minimum 1 Hr labor. This
> alone can be a big difference.
> I have seen the issue discussed here done in shop for as little as $40.
> Considering how little there really is that can go wrong, this would be
> reasonable. With a little mechanical ability one could even perform this
> themselves for a fraction of that cost (and yes the parts are available to
> those that would like to do this).

You state that you've seen the work done in shop for as little as $40. Is
that the going rate or does that mean even more would normally be charged?
Getting back to the above points I presented.
1. The i560 can be purchased for a net cost of $59.99 after rebate.
2. The included consumables are worth $48.99, which leaves an effective
net cost of $11.00.
3. Even without the consumables being factored in, a new printer
w/warranty would only be $59.99, but the minimum cost of the service you
describe would be $40.00. At best this is only a $19.99 difference between
purchasing a new printer and getting an old one repaired. With consumables
considered, a consumer would pay $29.00 less for a new machine than the
minimum cost of servicing the old one.
4. How long would the user be expected to have the printer in the shop?
How much to ship it or travel to the service center? How much time would the
user waste getting it there or packing it up?

If it was your money, what would you do? Once again, I ask you to explain
why "It may look good on paper, but is not the way things work".

I find the majority of your comments to users to be factual and helpful, but
in this one instance I think you aren't getting the picture from a consumers
point of view.

Ron Cohen

---
AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
August 24, 2004 11:02:04 PM

"Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > "B.B. from N.B." <bburacze@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > be
> > >
> > > There's huge pad at the bottom of the printer and a big sponge, called
> > > the "waste ink tank" :)
> > >
> > > And it DOES NOT have to be cleaned. Never.

> > > Not wise of you to do that.
> >
> > Why would it not be wise to bring my printer to a service center if it
isn't
> > printing?
>
> 1. If you would pay attention to what people write on this group, you
> would know the answer. OK, in case you still don't know, I'll tell
> you: you can reset the waste ink tank counter by pressing the buttons
> on the printer in the right order (I published the procedure in one of
> my previous posts).
> So, no need to take the printer to the service.
>
> 2. Mo0st of these cases happen when the printer is out of warranty. So
> you have to pay for it; how much? Depending on where you live from 10$
> to 100$.
>
> 3. People in most service centers don't care about printers they
> service and with such advanced machines like Canon's printers it is
> very likely that they will screw sth up, which is very easy to do.
>
> 4. Not changing the pads (the waste ink tank), doesn't affect the
> quality of the printouts.
>
> 5. Waste ink tank is basically for Canon to keep it's service centers
> running.
>
> > Who better to take care of it?
>
> Printer takes care of itself the best. Just replace the ink tanks, be
> sure to print sth at least once a month and everything should be OK.
>
> Mike

Mike,

While I appreciate your advice I really see no reason for you to be so
vicious. Since I am not a regular poster to this newsgroup it isn't so much
that I haven't been paying attention to what is being written as it is that
I haven't had the necessity to read it.

As it turned out, the problem wasn't in the waste ink pads at all but that
the print head had stopped working. I had mis-read the way the printer was
flashing. The service center replaced the print head for me. It cost me a
grand total of $49.00 and I was on my way in approximately 15 minutes. The
printer is working correctly now and I am once again a satisfied customer of
Canon. In fact, 10 minutes ago I was completing a survey commissioned by
Canon and one of the people helping with the survey was an executive from
Canon's New York office. He listened to everything I had to say about the
printer and took copious notes. He also told me they were aware of the
printheads being less durable than customers would like but wasn't sure what
could be done about it.

Lastly, I would be indebted if you could post the procedure for resetting
the waste tank error sequence again. I obviously missed it the first time
around.

Bernie
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 11:41:07 PM

> "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> > search
Newegg.com
> > for
> > Depot
> > > really
> > the
> > > somewhere
> > > and/or
> > length
> > > of

> > > center
> an
> > > i860
> > call
> > quite
> > > >

> > > Who said anything about a service center replacing an i850 with an
i560?
> > > didn't. I referenced the i560 since it is based on the i850 and is a
> > current
> > > model.
> >
> > I was referencing the above statement "This was in reference to an i850
> > (replaced by the i560). "
> > Actually the 550 (not 560) and 850 would be a comparison, though neither
> is
> > based on the other.
>
> I guess the Canon press releases are in error since they state the print
> head technology is i850 based. The following is copied from a Canon press
> release
>
> " Dramatic improvements in speed and quality found in the i560 printer
> compared to its predecessor - the i550 model - are based on the inclusion
of
> Canon technology found in the multi-award winning Canon i850 photo
printer.
> This technology includes the i850 unit's print head and many of the print
> engine components "
>

> > Will you please explain why my method of determining the net cost is
> > > flawed? Considering that most people have to purchase replacement ink
> > tanks
> > > (except for those of us who refill) along with the other factors I
> > > mentioned, it is a cost to consider.
> >
> > But you also need to consider that you can not use 'retail' cost figures
> and
> > that the manufactures are
> > not paying that amount for the included inks or the printer in the box.
> > Where have you factored in, marketing cost, packaging, bundled software
> > etc.?
>
> HUH???? Why should't the retail or street costs be used. That's what the
> consumer will pay. It doesn't matter to the consumer how much the
> manufacturer has invested in the box in terms of marketing cost,
packaging,
> bundled software, etc. The amount actually charged to the consumer is
what
> counts. Let's go over this one more time just in case you haven't actually
> grasped what I'm getting at.

Because if the inks are missing from the box (open box purchase) the
retailer is not going to offer up the printer
for a mere $11. Why, because that is not the way the items are priced out
and the manufacture will generally replace missing items.
My point was that it is not as simple, cut & Dry as you would make it seem.

> 1. The printers in question are available in the sub $80 range from a
> couple of online sources.
> 2. BestBuy.com currently has the printer for $89.99 before a $30.00
rebate
> which drops the purchase cost to $59.99 (before sales tax).
> 3. Included with the new printer are consumables worth $48.99 based on
> prices of the BCI-3 Multipack at BestBuy.com These items will eventually
be
> needed even if the user removes the partially used tanks from the old
> printer and uses them in the new machine. This is definately a cost factor
> to be considered.
> 4. That drops the effective cost of the printer to $11.00.
> 5. The printer will have a full warranty and thanks for mentioning the
> bundled software. That could possibly make the deal even sweeter, but I'm
> not factoring in that item since I don't know what s/w would be included
> other than what Canon includes with every printer.

See above.

> > > How much would you charge to perform
> > > the type of service the OP is seeking? Can you provide some ballpark
> > > estimates for what you think the going rate for this service would be?
> > That
> > > would be helpful information. Unless you really give out bargain
rates,
> > > don't see how it would be more cost effective to spend the money to
> repair
> > > an out of warranty low cost device instead of replacing it with a new
> one
> > > which would be covered by warranty? You didn't provide any reasoning
as
> > > why you state "It may look good on paper, but is not the way things
> work".
> > > Why isn't it the way things work.
> > >

> > Well shop rates vary greatly and many have different In vs Out of
warranty
> > rates.
> > Some also charge 'Book' time and others charge minimum 1 Hr labor. This
> > alone can be a big difference.
> > I have seen the issue discussed here done in shop for as little as $40.
> > Considering how little there really is that can go wrong, this would be
> > reasonable. With a little mechanical ability one could even perform this

> > themselves for a fraction of that cost (and yes the parts are available
> > those that would like to do this).
> >

> You state that you've seen the work done in shop for as little as $40. Is
> that the going rate or does that mean even more would normally be charged?

Again, based on my points above it can vary. I can only confirm actual
amount I have seen charged out of warranty
(which by the way, was less than in warranty charge to manufacture is.

> Getting back to the above points I presented.
> 1. The i560 can be purchased for a net cost of $59.99 after rebate.
> 2. The included consumables are worth $48.99, which leaves an effective
> net cost of $11.00.

Again, looks good on paper, but try and get them to sell you a new printer
for this amount
simply because it is missing the consumables. And effective price and actual
value are entirely different.
The missing consumables would not devalue the printer itself, only the
overall package, but not by the retail amount of
the missing items. Though it would be a great deal for shoppers if it did!
:0)

> 3. Even without the consumables being factored in, a new printer
> w/warranty would only be $59.99, but the minimum cost of the service you
> describe would be $40.00. At best this is only a $19.99 difference between
> purchasing a new printer and getting an old one repaired. With consumables
> considered, a consumer would pay $29.00 less for a new machine than the
> minimum cost of servicing the old one.

Yes, if you had to purchase new consumables to get the printer services.
If I have a i550 and it has near full tanks in it (BCI-3) and needs $40 in
service, then my total cost is still
$40. Get it back from the shop, drop my inks back in and away I go. If I
have cared for the printer
by not passing cheap ink from Johnny's Ink-For-All chances are this printer
will last quite some time
never needing service. I replaced a Waste Ink on my old BJC-610 printer and
it lasted another 2 years before
I gave it away to a local charity.

> 4. How long would the user be expected to have the printer in the shop?
> How much to ship it or travel to the service center? How much time would
the
> user waste getting it there or packing it up?

Now if you are shipping to a service center you are adding a whole new cost
that the average user would not encounter. In this position, I would trash
it and buy a new printer. In fact Canon now offers a deal I used recently
(Customer Loyalty Program if IIRC) where if it is determined by the help
desk that your out of warranty printer requires service, they will give you
10% off a new printer and free over-night shipping.

> If it was your money, what would you do? Once again, I ask you to explain
> why "It may look good on paper, but is not the way things work".

see above

> I find the majority of your comments to users to be factual and helpful,
but
> in this one instance I think you aren't getting the picture from a
consumers
> point of view.

Well as a consumer (and a cheap one at that) I thought this was a consumers
point of view. Just different than yours that's all.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 9:26:58 AM

This is becoming hard to follow with all the previous postings being
included. I've snipped as much as possible to hopefully make it a little
clearer.

> Because if the inks are missing from the box (open box purchase) the
> retailer is not going to offer up the printer
> for a mere $11. Why, because that is not the way the items are priced out
> and the manufacture will generally replace missing items.
> My point was that it is not as simple, cut & Dry as you would make it
seem.

No where did I say anything about open box purchase or getting a retailer to
sell the item for only $11.00. Please read the update again. The TOTAL
(overall) cost is what I am referring to. Retail, less rebate = true
purchase cost. These printers are factory fresh and INCLUDE all consumables.
Since the cartridges are worth $48.99 that amount will have to be paid
eventually. Maybe you will be able to comprehend this if you look back at
postings in regards to some Lexmark inkjets. Users have posted that for
certain models it has been less expensive to buy an entirely new printer
when they run out of supplies. Why?? The new printer includes the
consumables and it actually costs less to purchase the printer than it is to
purchase the print cartridges as a supply. This has even been the case with
some Canon printers. It almost is with the i560 which we are discussing.
Staples at one time offered new s820's for $50.00. Since this printer uses
BCI-6 tanks, it was actually less expensive to purchase the printer, keep
the consumables and discard the printer. Recently Office Depot had i860's
for $60.00 after rebate. Again, if someone was going to purchase a set of
replacement cartridges, it would have been just as cheap to get the new
printer, keep the consumables and discard the new i860. This is what I am
trying to get across to you.

> > 1. The printers in question are available in the sub $80 range from a
> > couple of online sources.
> > 2. BestBuy.com currently has the printer for $89.99 before a $30.00
> rebate
> > which drops the purchase cost to $59.99 (before sales tax).
> > 3. Included with the new printer are consumables worth $48.99 based on
> > prices of the BCI-3 Multipack at BestBuy.com These items will
eventually
> be
> > needed even if the user removes the partially used tanks from the old
> > printer and uses them in the new machine. This is definately a cost
factor
> > to be considered.
> > 4. That drops the effective cost of the printer to $11.00.
> > 5. The printer will have a full warranty and thanks for mentioning the
> > bundled software. That could possibly make the deal even sweeter, but
I'm
> > not factoring in that item since I don't know what s/w would be included
> > other than what Canon includes with every printer.
> >

> See above.

Ditto

> > You state that you've seen the work done in shop for as little as $40.
Is
> > that the going rate or does that mean even more would normally be
charged?

Failed to answer this one.

> Again, based on my points above it can vary. I can only confirm actual
> amount I have seen charged out of warranty
> (which by the way, was less than in warranty charge to manufacture is.

How much???

> > Getting back to the above points I presented.
> > 1. The i560 can be purchased for a net cost of $59.99 after rebate.
> > 2. The included consumables are worth $48.99, which leaves an
effective
> > net cost of $11.00.
>
> Again, looks good on paper, but try and get them to sell you a new printer
> for this amount
> simply because it is missing the consumables. And effective price and
actual
> value are entirely different.
> The missing consumables would not devalue the printer itself, only the
> overall package, but not by the retail amount of
> the missing items. Though it would be a great deal for shoppers if it did!
> :0)

Where do you get the idea that it would be missing the consumables? It can't
be from anything I've posted. What I have been trying (without success) to
get you to understand is that the net cost is what a consumer would pay in
the long run. At $59.99 you get a new printer with full warranty AND
consumables. Because the consumables are worth $48.99, that makes the new
printer to be worth $11.00. I've never said you could actually get the
printer for $11.00.

> > 3. Even without the consumables being factored in, a new printer
> > w/warranty would only be $59.99, but the minimum cost of the service you
> > describe would be $40.00. At best this is only a $19.99 difference
between
> > purchasing a new printer and getting an old one repaired. With
consumables
> > considered, a consumer would pay $29.00 less for a new machine than the
> > minimum cost of servicing the old one.
>
> Yes, if you had to purchase new consumables to get the printer services.
> If I have a i550 and it has near full tanks in it (BCI-3) and needs $40 in
> service, then my total cost is still
> $40. Get it back from the shop, drop my inks back in and away I go. If I
> have cared for the printer
> by not passing cheap ink from Johnny's Ink-For-All chances are this
printer
> will last quite some time
> never needing service. I replaced a Waste Ink on my old BJC-610 printer
and
> it lasted another 2 years before
> I gave it away to a local charity.
Will the those ink cartridges last forever and not need to be replaced? If
you do have to replace them, how much will it cost? Could it be $48.99 if
you purchase OEM? In what you described above let's look at it this way. For
a repair cost of $40 (if it's that low) you have the original out of
warranty printer and the existing ink tanks. With a new printer at a net
cost of $59.99 (a difference of $19.99 over the repair only cost), you now
have a new printer with full warranty, a new set of ink tanks and the
existing tanks from the old printer. The old printer could then be used as a
parts machine, door stop, boat anchor or planter box.

> > 4. How long would the user be expected to have the printer in the
shop?
> > How much to ship it or travel to the service center? How much time would
> the
> > user waste getting it there or packing it up?
> >

> Now if you are shipping to a service center you are adding a whole new
cost
> that the average user would not encounter. In this position, I would trash
> it and buy a new printer. In fact Canon now offers a deal I used recently
> (Customer Loyalty Program if IIRC) where if it is determined by the help
> desk that your out of warranty printer requires service, they will give
you
> 10% off a new printer and free over-night shipping.

I think you may be starting to comprehend the obvious. However, since you
are coming across as someone who repairs these printers, why would you need
to send it back to Canon for a replacement? Don't you work on these and have
access to wholesale parts prices?

> > If it was your money, what would you do? Once again, I ask you to
explain
> > why "It may look good on paper, but is not the way things work".
> >

> see above
I did and you still haven't provided an explanation.

> Well as a consumer (and a cheap one at that) I thought this was a
consumers
> point of view. Just different than yours that's all.
Are you the consumer or the technician?

Ron Cohen

---
AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
August 26, 2004 2:19:10 AM

DD wrote:
> Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep
> cleaning operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep
> cleaning uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
> Anyone know?
>
> DD

This thread I started turned out to be somewhat of a slinging match
didn't it?

Anyway it was all interesting stuff and in the meantime I found this

site which you may all find interesting. Incidentally, there is a

description of how to clean the waste ink "Tank".

http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

DD
!