Optical better than non-optical?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"E2E t-bot BT" <English-to-English.translator.bot@Babel.Fish>
wrote:

> I am still using a corded mouse (logitech wheelmouse).
>
> I would like to get a better mouse which has at least as good
> precision, responsiveness, accuracy, etc.
>
> Would an optical mouse be better on all counts?
>
> What about a cordless mouse. Are they poor performers? What
> about a Bluetooth connection - is that good. Is it pricey.
>
> Are there any web sites which discuss this. Google is no help
> to me.

Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
inherently better than a non-optical mouse?
68 answers Last reply
More about optical optical
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:02:38 +0100, Piotr Makley <pmakley@mail.com> wrote:

    >"E2E t-bot BT" <English-to-English.translator.bot@Babel.Fish>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I am still using a corded mouse (logitech wheelmouse).
    >>
    >> I would like to get a better mouse which has at least as good
    >> precision, responsiveness, accuracy, etc.
    >>
    >> Would an optical mouse be better on all counts?
    >>
    >> What about a cordless mouse. Are they poor performers? What
    >> about a Bluetooth connection - is that good. Is it pricey.
    >>
    >> Are there any web sites which discuss this. Google is no help
    >> to me.
    >

    >Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
    >inherently better than a non-optical mouse?

    ....like INFINITELY better. o_O

    --

    Onideus Mad Hatter
    mhm ¹ x ¹

    The big difference is that an optical mouse has no roller ball, hence it
    doesn't require a mouse pad, can be used on virtually any solid surface and
    there are no maintenance problems such as grime clogging the roller ball
    thus requiring it to periodically be cleaned.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
    > "E2E t-bot BT" <English-to-English.translator.bot@Babel.Fish>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am still using a corded mouse (logitech wheelmouse).
    >>
    >> I would like to get a better mouse which has at least as good
    >> precision, responsiveness, accuracy, etc.
    >>
    >> Would an optical mouse be better on all counts?
    >>
    >> What about a cordless mouse. Are they poor performers? What
    >> about a Bluetooth connection - is that good. Is it pricey.
    >>
    >> Are there any web sites which discuss this. Google is no help
    >> to me.
    >

    > Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
    > inherently better than a non-optical mouse?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I would prefer optical with a USB wire. I might have a
    wireless as a second device.

    I al;so like trackballs. The trackball does need to be
    cleaned because dust, lint and even dead skin cells do get
    in the ball socket. A standard optical mouse is
    self-cleaning since the base is flat. They work on any
    surface except polished metal and mirrors.

    <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    | The big difference is that an optical mouse has no roller
    ball, hence it
    | doesn't require a mouse pad, can be used on virtually any
    solid surface and
    | there are no maintenance problems such as grime clogging
    the roller ball
    | thus requiring it to periodically be cleaned.
    |
    | --
    | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    | Windows Shell/User
    | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    |
    | "Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
    | > "E2E t-bot BT"
    <English-to-English.translator.bot@Babel.Fish>
    | > wrote:
    | >
    | >> I am still using a corded mouse (logitech wheelmouse).
    | >>
    | >> I would like to get a better mouse which has at least
    as good
    | >> precision, responsiveness, accuracy, etc.
    | >>
    | >> Would an optical mouse be better on all counts?
    | >>
    | >> What about a cordless mouse. Are they poor performers?
    What
    | >> about a Bluetooth connection - is that good. Is it
    pricey.

    | >> Are there any web sites which discuss this. Google is
    no help
    | >> to me.
    | >

    | > Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse
    is
    | > inherently better than a non-optical mouse?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > >Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
    > >inherently better than a non-optical mouse?
    >
    > ...like INFINITELY better. o_O

    Way over-simplified. It depends on how you use it. If you are only running
    office apps. on a desktop computer and have a decent (non-reflective) mouse
    pad, then it's hard to beat an optical mouse. For a notebook, you want a
    mechanical mouse (the kind with a mouse ball). That's because optical mice
    don't work too well on many surfaces you will find in motel rooms, and it's
    inconvenient to have to carry a mouse pad with a notebook computer. Also,
    optical mice (all brands) get a bit jumpy on quick movement. If you are a
    gamer, you might want to stick with the ball. -Dave
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > >"E2E t-bot BT" <English-to-English.translator.bot@Babel.Fish>
    > >wrote:

    > Would an optical mouse be better on all counts?

    AFAIK, optical mice are at a disadvantage in only in two respects:

    1. They draw about ten times the power of mechanical mice, which may
    be why cordless versions are still rare.

    2. They won't work on clear glass surfaces or on mirrors.

    I've used only three brands of optical mice -- Logitech, Memorex, and
    i-Concepts/Sakar, the latter two really cheap ones, all have worked
    far better than any mechanical mouse I've tried. No more skipping or
    stuck cursor if the surface was rough, dirty, or too slick or if the
    mouse rollers accumulated lint. OfficeMax often features an optical
    mouse for free after $10 rebate -- see www.salescircular.com, and
    Fry's has had them for as little as $2.99, no rebate.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Optical mice work great on my blue jeans or my bare leg.

    Haven't tried my gut.

    "Dave C." <spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote in message

    | > >Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical
    mouse is
    | > >inherently better than a non-optical mouse?
    | >
    | > ...like INFINITELY better. o_O
    | >

    | Way over-simplified. It depends on how you use it. If
    you are only running
    | office apps. on a desktop computer and have a decent
    (non-reflective) mouse
    | pad, then it's hard to beat an optical mouse. For a
    notebook, you want a
    | mechanical mouse (the kind with a mouse ball). That's
    because optical mice
    | don't work too well on many surfaces you will find in
    motel rooms, and it's
    | inconvenient to have to carry a mouse pad with a notebook
    computer. Also,
    | optical mice (all brands) get a bit jumpy on quick
    movement. If you are a
    | gamer, you might want to stick with the ball. -Dave

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    My uncle uses a trackball, it drives me nuts!<VBG> Whenever he asks me to
    figure out some issue he's having that darn trackball just gets in the way.
    In the future, I'm bringing my own mouse!

    --

    >I would prefer optical with a USB wire. I might have a
    > wireless as a second device.
    >
    > I al;so like trackballs. The trackball does need to be
    > cleaned because dust, lint and even dead skin cells do get
    > in the ball socket. A standard optical mouse is
    > self-cleaning since the base is flat. They work on any
    > surface except polished metal and mirrors.
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
    > <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    > | The big difference is that an optical mouse has no roller
    > ball, hence it
    > | doesn't require a mouse pad, can be used on virtually any
    > solid surface and
    > | there are no maintenance problems such as grime clogging
    > the roller ball
    > | thus requiring it to periodically be cleaned.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > | Windows Shell/User
    > | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    > |
    > | "Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
    > | > "E2E t-bot BT"
    > <English-to-English.translator.bot@Babel.Fish>

    > as good

    > What
    > pricey.

    > no help
    > | >

    > | > Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse
    > is
    > | > inherently better than a non-optical mouse?

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Dave C." <spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote in message

    > > >Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
    > > >inherently better than a non-optical mouse?
    > >
    > > ...like INFINITELY better. o_O
    > >

    > Way over-simplified. It depends on how you use it. If you are only
    running
    > office apps. on a desktop computer and have a decent (non-reflective)
    mouse
    > pad, then it's hard to beat an optical mouse. For a notebook, you want a
    > mechanical mouse (the kind with a mouse ball). That's because optical
    mice
    > don't work too well on many surfaces you will find in motel rooms, and
    it's
    > inconvenient to have to carry a mouse pad with a notebook computer. Also,
    > optical mice (all brands) get a bit jumpy on quick movement. If you are a
    > gamer, you might want to stick with the ball. -Dave

    Definitely depends on how you're going to use it. I find that because the
    mouse is so light the tension from the cord will actually make it spring
    back when you let go. This is a problem when doing CAD work. I'm going to
    try a mouse pad to see if that will give some more friction, but I think it
    is a function of weight vs. tension. Otherwise I like the ease of use and
    smoothness. A good reason to go wireless and optical, I guess. But I don't
    like the idea of batteries.
    Wireless Ones: What happens when they (batteries) get low? Do you get a
    warning of some sort, or do funky thing start happening?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    And I prefer IBM's TrackPoint pointing system to the touchpad found on most
    laptops...That's my opinion, I'm sticking to it!:-)

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    >I would prefer optical with a USB wire. I might have a
    > wireless as a second device.
    >
    > I al;so like trackballs. The trackball does need to be
    > cleaned because dust, lint and even dead skin cells do get
    > in the ball socket. A standard optical mouse is
    > self-cleaning since the base is flat. They work on any
    > surface except polished metal and mirrors.
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
    > <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    > | The big difference is that an optical mouse has no roller
    > ball, hence it
    > | doesn't require a mouse pad, can be used on virtually any
    > solid surface and
    > | there are no maintenance problems such as grime clogging
    > the roller ball
    > | thus requiring it to periodically be cleaned.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > | Windows Shell/User
    > | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    > |
    > | "Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
    > | > "E2E t-bot BT"
    > <English-to-English.translator.bot@Babel.Fish>

    > as good

    > What
    > pricey.

    > no help
    > | >

    > | > Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse
    > is
    > | > inherently better than a non-optical mouse?

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On 9 Apr 2004 19:30:49 -0700, larrymoencurly@my-deja.com (larrymoencurly) wrote:

    >> >"E2E t-bot BT" <English-to-English.translator.bot@Babel.Fish>
    >> >wrote:
    >
    >> Would an optical mouse be better on all counts?
    >
    >AFAIK, optical mice are at a disadvantage in only in two respects:
    >
    >1. They draw about ten times the power of mechanical mice, which may
    >be why cordless versions are still rare.

    Cordless optical mice are rare? Um...*checks the Staples website*...well you can choose between TEN
    different models of cordless optical mice at Staples alone... o_O

    >2. They won't work on clear glass surfaces or on mirrors.

    Because so many desks are made out glass and mirrors...and for those times when you want to use the
    mouse directly on the monitor, oh yeah, yer piss outta luck...but you know, white out on the monitor
    will still work. ^_^

    --

    Onideus Mad Hatter
    mhm ¹ x ¹
    http://www.backwater-productions.net
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I use a MS Trackball Optical with the trackball under my
    right thumb and I click with my index finger, scroll with
    the middle and right click with the ring finger. A friend
    has a MS Trackball Explorer with the buttons on the side and
    the ball on top. That is always a hard switch to do.

    | My uncle uses a trackball, it drives me nuts!<VBG>
    Whenever he asks me to
    | figure out some issue he's having that darn trackball just
    gets in the way.
    | In the future, I'm bringing my own mouse!
    |
    | --
    | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    | Windows Shell/User
    | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    in message
    | >I would prefer optical with a USB wire. I might have a
    | > wireless as a second device.
    | >
    | > I al;so like trackballs. The trackball does need to be
    | > cleaned because dust, lint and even dead skin cells do
    get
    | > in the ball socket. A standard optical mouse is
    | > self-cleaning since the base is flat. They work on any
    | > surface except polished metal and mirrors.
    | >

    | > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
    | > <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    | > | The big difference is that an optical mouse has no
    roller
    | > ball, hence it
    | > | doesn't require a mouse pad, can be used on virtually
    any
    | > solid surface and
    | > | there are no maintenance problems such as grime
    clogging
    | > the roller ball
    | > | thus requiring it to periodically be cleaned.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    | > | Windows Shell/User
    | > | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    | > | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    | > |
    | > | "Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
    | > <English-to-English.translator.bot@Babel.Fish>

    wheelmouse).

    | > as good

    performers?
    | > What
    | > pricey.

    | > no help

    | > is
    | > |
    | > |

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    You might try a WACOM graphing tablet and pen for the CAD.
    www.wacom.com

    "BP" <Zpoweretal@110.neZt> wrote in message

    | "Dave C." <spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote in
    message

    | > > ...like INFINITELY better. o_O
    | > >

    | > Way over-simplified. It depends on how you use it. If
    you are only
    | running
    | > office apps. on a desktop computer and have a decent
    (non-reflective)
    | mouse
    | > pad, then it's hard to beat an optical mouse. For a
    notebook, you want a
    | > mechanical mouse (the kind with a mouse ball). That's
    because optical
    | mice
    | > don't work too well on many surfaces you will find in
    motel rooms, and
    | it's
    | > inconvenient to have to carry a mouse pad with a
    notebook computer. Also,
    | > optical mice (all brands) get a bit jumpy on quick
    movement. If you are a
    | > gamer, you might want to stick with the ball. -Dave
    | >
    | Definitely depends on how you're going to use it. I find
    that because the
    | mouse is so light the tension from the cord will actually
    make it spring
    | back when you let go. This is a problem when doing CAD
    work. I'm going to
    | try a mouse pad to see if that will give some more
    friction, but I think it
    | is a function of weight vs. tension. Otherwise I like the
    ease of use and
    | smoothness. A good reason to go wireless and optical, I
    guess. But I don't
    | like the idea of batteries.
    | Wireless Ones: What happens when they (batteries) get low?
    Do you get a
    | warning of some sort, or do funky thing start happening?

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:52:18 -0500, "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >You might try a WACOM graphing tablet and pen for the CAD.
    >www.wacom.com

    Yeah, I was about to say, doing CAD work with anything other than a graphics tablet is just...not
    much fun.

    --

    Onideus Mad Hatter
    mhm ¹ x ¹
    http://www.backwater-productions.net
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:31:16 -0500, "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >Optical mice work great on my blue jeans or my bare leg.
    >
    >Haven't tried my gut.

    Works fine on my stomach.... might be the hair giving it texture tho...

    >"Dave C." <spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote in message

    >mouse is
    >| >
    >| > ...like INFINITELY better. o_O
    >| >

    >| Way over-simplified. It depends on how you use it. If
    >you are only running
    >| office apps. on a desktop computer and have a decent
    >(non-reflective) mouse
    >| pad, then it's hard to beat an optical mouse. For a
    >notebook, you want a
    >| mechanical mouse (the kind with a mouse ball). That's
    >because optical mice
    >| don't work too well on many surfaces you will find in
    >motel rooms, and it's
    >| inconvenient to have to carry a mouse pad with a notebook
    >computer. Also,
    >| optical mice (all brands) get a bit jumpy on quick
    >movement. If you are a
    >| gamer, you might want to stick with the ball. -Dave
    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    A real computer geek would have the hair removed and get a
    tattoo over an 6x6 area for the mouse laser to track.
    {:-)

    "Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:31:16 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    | >Optical mice work great on my blue jeans or my bare leg.
    | >
    | >Haven't tried my gut.
    | >
    | Works fine on my stomach.... might be the hair giving it
    texture tho...

    | >"Dave C." <spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote in
    message

    | >mouse is

    | >|
    | >| Way over-simplified. It depends on how you use it. If
    | >you are only running
    | >| office apps. on a desktop computer and have a decent
    | >(non-reflective) mouse
    | >| pad, then it's hard to beat an optical mouse. For a
    | >notebook, you want a
    | >| mechanical mouse (the kind with a mouse ball). That's
    | >because optical mice
    | >| don't work too well on many surfaces you will find in
    | >motel rooms, and it's
    | >| inconvenient to have to carry a mouse pad with a
    notebook
    | >computer. Also,
    | >| optical mice (all brands) get a bit jumpy on quick
    | >movement. If you are a
    | >| gamer, you might want to stick with the ball. -Dave
    | ~~~~~~
    | Bait for spammers:
    | root@localhost
    | postmaster@localhost
    | admin@localhost
    | abuse@localhost
    | postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    | uce@ftc.gov
    | ~~~~~~
    | Remove "spamless" to email me.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Depends to some extent on your desk. I used to play several hours
    of UT at a time smoking cigs occasionally. Of course if I was chasing
    someone or had my crosshairs on someone on a roof across town,
    I wasn't paying too much attention to the cigarette. Got rid of a nice
    Boomslang Razor with programmable buttons I could save key sequences
    to that would work in the game(!) because it seemed I was always cleaning
    the internals on the mouse. Now I use a Logitech optical mouse.
    Very smooth, can't program keystrokes to the buttons but I'm also
    not getting killed because I can't move.

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:02:38 +0100, Piotr Makley <pmakley@mail.com> wrote:

    >"E2E t-bot BT" <English-to-English.translator.bot@Babel.Fish>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I am still using a corded mouse (logitech wheelmouse).
    >>
    >> I would like to get a better mouse which has at least as good
    >> precision, responsiveness, accuracy, etc.
    >>
    >> Would an optical mouse be better on all counts?
    >>
    >> What about a cordless mouse. Are they poor performers? What
    >> about a Bluetooth connection - is that good. Is it pricey.
    >>
    >> Are there any web sites which discuss this. Google is no help
    >> to me.
    >

    >Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
    >inherently better than a non-optical mouse?

    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Dave C." <spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote in message

    > Way over-simplified. It depends on how you use it. If you are only
    running
    > office apps. on a desktop computer and have a decent (non-reflective)
    mouse
    > pad, then it's hard to beat an optical mouse. For a notebook, you want a
    > mechanical mouse (the kind with a mouse ball).
    >That's because optical mice
    > don't work too well on many surfaces you will find in motel rooms, and
    it's
    > inconvenient to have to carry a mouse pad with a notebook computer.

    I disagree. there are a number of paper thin mousepads out there
    specifically designed for Optical mice and quite nicely fit in between the
    laptop screen and keyboard. However, anyone carrying a laptop will of course
    have it in a laptop carrying case. A standard mouse mat let alone a paper
    thin one will fit nicely in the side pocket.

    >Also,
    > optical mice (all brands) get a bit jumpy on quick movement. If you are a
    > gamer, you might want to stick with the ball. -Dave

    Again, I disagree. Aside from having normal hobbies and pursuits such as
    climbing, abseiling and socialising, I am also an avid gamer and have tried
    a number of mouse mats out. ALL gamers I know including myself ALL have
    Optical mice and Paper thin or NO mouse mats.

    My particular mouse mat is paper thin, made by a company called
    Microthin.com and cost me $6 at Quakecon in Dallas last year. The Microthin
    site seems to specialise in Advertising mouse pads.. don't ask.. mine is a
    non advertising mouse mat. - called Microthin Headshot.

    I won't use anything other than this. No jerky movements from my MS
    Intellimouse Explorer 3 and smooth action all the time as the mouse mat is
    teflon covered.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    message news:#GD7VHoHEHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > The big difference is that an optical mouse has no roller ball, hence it
    > doesn't require a mouse pad, can be used on virtually any solid surface
    > and there are no maintenance problems such as grime clogging the roller
    > ball thus requiring it to periodically be cleaned.

    Instead - particularly if you have pets - you occasionally get a hair in
    front of the sensor, with much the same result.

    Alex
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hmm, good point.

    --

    "Alex Fraser" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    > message news:#GD7VHoHEHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> The big difference is that an optical mouse has no roller ball, hence it
    >> doesn't require a mouse pad, can be used on virtually any solid surface
    >> and there are no maintenance problems such as grime clogging the roller
    >> ball thus requiring it to periodically be cleaned.
    >
    > Instead - particularly if you have pets - you occasionally get a hair in
    > front of the sensor, with much the same result.
    >
    > Alex

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Cats and dogs belong outside or at least in another room
    from the computers.

    | Hmm, good point.
    |
    | --
    | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    | Windows Shell/User
    | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    |
    | "Alex Fraser" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    | > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
    <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    | > message news:#GD7VHoHEHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | >> The big difference is that an optical mouse has no
    roller ball, hence it
    | >> doesn't require a mouse pad, can be used on virtually
    any solid surface
    | >> and there are no maintenance problems such as grime
    clogging the roller
    | >> ball thus requiring it to periodically be cleaned.
    | >
    | > Instead - particularly if you have pets - you
    occasionally get a hair in
    | > front of the sensor, with much the same result.
    | >
    | > Alex

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Well, that's good in theory!

    --

    > Cats and dogs belong outside or at least in another room
    > from the computers.
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
    > <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    > | Hmm, good point.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > | Windows Shell/User
    > | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    > |
    > | "Alex Fraser" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > | > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
    > <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    > | > message news:#GD7VHoHEHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > roller ball, hence it
    > any solid surface
    > clogging the roller
    > | >
    > | > Instead - particularly if you have pets - you
    > occasionally get a hair in
    > | > front of the sensor, with much the same result.
    > | >
    > | > Alex

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > I would prefer optical with a USB wire. I might have a
    > wireless as a second device.
    >
    > I al;so like trackballs. The trackball does need to be
    > cleaned because dust, lint and even dead skin cells do get
    > in the ball socket.

    AFAIK most dust found where people are /is/ dead skin cells :).

    > A standard optical mouse is self-cleaning since the base is flat.

    Neither of the two I have used - an Microsoft one and a Logitech one - have
    a flat base.

    > They work on any surface except polished metal and mirrors.

    Anything really shiny seems to cause problems. I had a mouse mat where the
    textured surface had been worn smooth(!), and it didn't quite work perfectly
    on that.

    Alex
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Maybe I should have said solid, without holes, instead of
    flat.
    The skin does rub off the fingers and seems to collect in
    the gaps.

    in message
    | > I would prefer optical with a USB wire. I might have
    | > wireless as a second device.
    | >
    | > I al;so like trackballs. The trackball does need to be
    | > cleaned because dust, lint and even dead skin cells do
    get
    | > in the ball socket.
    |
    | AFAIK most dust found where people are /is/ dead skin
    cells :).

    | > A standard optical mouse is self-cleaning since the base
    is flat.

    | Neither of the two I have used - an Microsoft one and a
    Logitech one - have
    | a flat base.
    |
    | > They work on any surface except polished metal and
    mirrors.

    | Anything really shiny seems to cause problems. I had a
    mouse mat where the
    | textured surface had been worn smooth(!), and it didn't
    quite work perfectly
    | on that.
    |
    | Alex

  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I can't decide between a vanilla moire pattern or a giant fractal!
    I'm testing the algorithms now...

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:35:28 -0500, "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >A real computer geek would have the hair removed and get a
    >tattoo over an 6x6 area for the mouse laser to track.
    >{:-)
    >
    >"Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >| On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:31:16 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    ><p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    >|
    >| >Optical mice work great on my blue jeans or my bare leg.
    >| >
    >| >Haven't tried my gut.
    >| >
    >| Works fine on my stomach.... might be the hair giving it
    >texture tho...
    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    ROTFLOL (;-)

    | I can't decide between a vanilla moire pattern or a giant
    fractal!
    | I'm testing the algorithms now...
    |
    | On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:35:28 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    | >A real computer geek would have the hair removed and get
    | >tattoo over an 6x6 area for the mouse laser to track.
    | >{:-)
    | >
    | >"Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    |
    | >| On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:31:16 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    | ><p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    | >|

    | >| Works fine on my stomach.... might be the hair giving
    it
    | >texture tho...
    | ~~~~~~
    | Bait for spammers:
    | root@localhost
    | postmaster@localhost
    | admin@localhost
    | abuse@localhost
    | postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    | uce@ftc.gov
    | ~~~~~~
    | Remove "spamless" to email me.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > Cats and dogs belong outside or at least in another room
    > from the computers.

    You'll still get hair in any case, just less of it; either human hair, or
    pet hair transferred via clothes. I probably overstated the problem a
    little, I doubt I've needed to remove hair because the mouse stopped working
    much more than once a year on average (although when I have done, there's
    been a little collection there). This is quite a contrast to needing to
    clean an ordinary mouse every few weeks to keep it in good condition.

    Alex
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Onideus Mad Hatter <mad_hatter@charter.net> wrote in message news:<1nne70p43dm2t0p2eg435dfsb3ojilh485@farfoos>...

    > >AFAIK, optical mice are at a disadvantage in only in two respects:
    > >
    > >1. They draw about ten times the power of mechanical mice, which may
    > >be why cordless versions are still rare.

    > Cordless optical mice are rare? Um...*checks the Staples
    > website*...well you can choose between TEN different models
    > of cordless optical mice at Staples alone... o_O

    I'm wrong. :( My mouse shopping has been very limited, to models under $3.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:02:38 +0100, Piotr Makley <pmakley@mail.com> wrote:

    >Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
    >inherently better than a non-optical mouse?

    Yes. No contest!

    Bob

    Remove "kins" from address to reply.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:31:16 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >Optical mice work great on my blue jeans or my bare leg.
    >
    >Haven't tried my gut.

    Not a pretty mental image! :)

    Bob

    Remove "kins" from address to reply.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:52:18 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    > >You might try a WACOM graphing tablet and pen for the CAD.
    > >www.wacom.com
    >
    > Yeah, I was about to say, doing CAD work with anything other than a
    graphics tablet is just...not
    > much fun.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Onideus Mad Hatter
    > mhm ¹ x ¹
    > http://www.backwater-productions.net

    Aaahhh Yaahhhh.
    That wouldn't, like, cost money, would it?
    I 'm a builder by trade and I spend about 30% of my computer time doing CAD
    work. If I was doing it all day every day I'd certainly break down and pry
    open the wallet. But for now I will "struggle" with the keyboard and my
    fidgety new mouse and stay clear of the learning curve till I have time to
    dick around. I think I'll survive. Real men are still using a piece of
    charcoal and animal hide!

    Still interested in what happens when the batteries run low in a wireless.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    The WACOM tablet can be had for less than $100 and you get a
    tablet, pen and mouse. No batteries required, they're USB
    powered. Great for photo editing and graphics, just like
    drawing with charcoal. www.wacom.com

    | "Onideus Mad Hatter" <mad_hatter@charter.net> wrote in
    message
    | > On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:52:18 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    | <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    | >
    | > >You might try a WACOM graphing tablet and pen for the
    CAD.
    | > >www.wacom.com
    | >
    | > Yeah, I was about to say, doing CAD work with anything
    other than a
    | graphics tablet is just...not
    | > much fun.
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Onideus Mad Hatter
    | > mhm ¹ x ¹
    | > http://www.backwater-productions.net
    |
    | Aaahhh Yaahhhh.
    | That wouldn't, like, cost money, would it?
    | I 'm a builder by trade and I spend about 30% of my
    computer time doing CAD
    | work. If I was doing it all day every day I'd certainly
    break down and pry
    | open the wallet. But for now I will "struggle" with the
    keyboard and my
    | fidgety new mouse and stay clear of the learning curve
    till I have time to
    | dick around. I think I'll survive. Real men are still
    using a piece of
    | charcoal and animal hide!
    |
    | Still interested in what happens when the batteries run
    low in a wireless.

  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)" wrote:

    > The big difference is that an optical mouse has no roller
    > ball, hence it doesn't require a mouse pad, can be used on
    > virtually any solid surface and there are no maintenance
    > problems such as grime clogging the roller ball thus requiring
    > it to periodically be cleaned.

    I must be one of the lucky ones as I never much have trouble with
    dirty mouse-balls. At least they always clean up very easily for
    me.

    If cleaning a mouse-ball is not a factor then is there any other
    advantage of optical?
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Actually, I never had to clean them either but I used to see this problem
    mentioned in the newsgroups quite a bit. With the advent and popularity of
    optical mice, I rarely see such complaints anymore. Still, as with you, I
    never had that problem.

    --

    >> "Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
    >>> inherently better than a non-optical mouse?
    >

    > "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)" wrote:
    >>
    >> The big difference is that an optical mouse has no roller
    >> ball, hence it doesn't require a mouse pad, can be used on
    >> virtually any solid surface and there are no maintenance
    >> problems such as grime clogging the roller ball thus requiring
    >> it to periodically be cleaned.
    >

    > I must be one of the lucky ones as I never much have trouble with
    > dirty mouse-balls. At least they always clean up very easily for
    > me.
    >
    > If cleaning a mouse-ball is not a factor then is there any other
    > advantage of optical?
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I have had a Microsoft Optical mouse for over 2 years.

    Normally within 6 months a regular mouse would give me problems and
    have to be constantly cleaned or replaced.

    wrote:

    >"E2E t-bot BT" <English-to-English.translator.bot@Babel.Fish>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I am still using a corded mouse (logitech wheelmouse).
    >>
    >> I would like to get a better mouse which has at least as good
    >> precision, responsiveness, accuracy, etc.
    >>
    >> Would an optical mouse be better on all counts?
    >>
    >> What about a cordless mouse. Are they poor performers? What
    >> about a Bluetooth connection - is that good. Is it pricey.
    >>
    >> Are there any web sites which discuss this. Google is no help
    >> to me.
    >

    >Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
    >inherently better than a non-optical mouse?
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article news:<uiaeBfpHEHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, Michael
    Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User) wrote:
    > And I prefer IBM's TrackPoint pointing system to the touchpad found
    > on most laptops...That's my opinion, I'm sticking to it!:-)

    Absolutely right!

    I can't stand the scratch'n'sniff panels you get on most notebook
    computers today. ALl the quality makers used to avoid them, but now
    only IBM do ... (maybe it's just that the other makers are no longer
    "quality").

    Cheers,
    Daniel.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    It may be a royalty issue. Consider how USB took off when Firewire was
    faster and better. So paranoid over the subject are PC manufacturers that
    when they do include it on their systems, they almost never refer to it as
    Firewire preferring to refer to the ports as IEEE-1394. That's certainly a
    proper designation but it still goes right back to the reason why most
    manufacturer's still don't routinely include such ports; I believe there's a
    royalty on firewire to Apple.

    --

    "Daniel James" <wastebasket@nospam.aaisp.org> wrote in message
    > In article news:<uiaeBfpHEHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, Michael
    > Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User) wrote:
    >> And I prefer IBM's TrackPoint pointing system to the touchpad found
    >> on most laptops...That's my opinion, I'm sticking to it!:-)
    >
    > Absolutely right!
    >
    > I can't stand the scratch'n'sniff panels you get on most notebook
    > computers today. ALl the quality makers used to avoid them, but now
    > only IBM do ... (maybe it's just that the other makers are no longer
    > "quality").
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Daniel.

  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > o_O
    >
    > I'm sorry, could you tell me your name? I just want to make sure that if
    you ever applied for a job
    > at my company, that I would know not to hire you.
    >
    > No offense or anything, but if going out and buying a new mouse seemed
    like a better option that
    > just using a piece of paper on top of the shiny surface as a mouse
    pad...um...yeah...

    Oh that's just too funny. My phone's been ringing off the hook this past
    week with people looking for work. We're currently hiring for high six
    figure IT positions (the catch is, they are overseas, in rather iffy areas,
    and a minimum one year). Nope, sorry . . . you can't have my name. Been
    getting too many phone calls already. -Dave
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    $100!! That's three 30 packs!
    OK, I put a little note on my bulletin board: Buy WACOM tablet. That'll do
    it.
    No No No- I meant the batteries in an optical wireless mouse. Remember? Way
    back when? 4/9? You got CAD on the brain, boy!

    > The WACOM tablet can be had for less than $100 and you get a
    > tablet, pen and mouse. No batteries required, they're USB
    > powered. Great for photo editing and graphics, just like
    > drawing with charcoal. www.wacom.com
    >

    > "BP" <Zpoweretal@110.neZt> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "Onideus Mad Hatter" <mad_hatter@charter.net> wrote in
    > message

    > CAD.
    > | >
    > | > Yeah, I was about to say, doing CAD work with anything
    > other than a
    > | graphics tablet is just...not
    > | > much fun.
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | >
    > | > Onideus Mad Hatter
    > | > mhm ¹ x ¹
    > | > http://www.backwater-productions.net
    > |
    > | Aaahhh Yaahhhh.
    > | That wouldn't, like, cost money, would it?
    > | I 'm a builder by trade and I spend about 30% of my
    > computer time doing CAD
    > | work. If I was doing it all day every day I'd certainly
    > break down and pry
    > | open the wallet. But for now I will "struggle" with the
    > keyboard and my
    > | fidgety new mouse and stay clear of the learning curve
    > till I have time to
    > | dick around. I think I'll survive. Real men are still
    > using a piece of
    > | charcoal and animal hide!
    > |
    > | Still interested in what happens when the batteries run
    > low in a wireless.

  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:47:46 +0100, Piotr Makley <pmakley@mail.com> wrote:

    >> "Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
    >>> inherently better than a non-optical mouse?
    >

    >"Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)" wrote:
    >>
    >> The big difference is that an optical mouse has no roller
    >> ball, hence it doesn't require a mouse pad, can be used on
    >> virtually any solid surface and there are no maintenance
    >> problems such as grime clogging the roller ball thus requiring
    >> it to periodically be cleaned.
    >

    >I must be one of the lucky ones as I never much have trouble with
    >dirty mouse-balls. At least they always clean up very easily for
    >me.
    >
    >If cleaning a mouse-ball is not a factor then is there any other
    >advantage of optical?

    No mechanical parts aside from the buttons that can break?

    Basically the advantage aside from not having to take it apart every couple weeks and cleaning it is
    that because of it's nature (not as many moving parts), it's gonna last a lot longer.

    It should also be noted that cleaning it (not the ball portion), can actually make it work worse,
    since you'll likely clean off all the grease they use on the lil internal wheels that make them move
    better. Not to mention that the mouse ball itself will wear down over time, think of it like a car
    tire, eventually the treads wear. Now you can't really see the "treads" on a mouse ball, cause
    they're uber tiny, but trust me, they're there. After a few years they wind up gettin more hard and
    plasticy than soft and rubbery...sorta like when a capstan goes bad in a VCR.

    And the ultimate bottom line is that optical mice are more precise, because, as I mentioned, no
    moving parts. A ball mouse's precision is based on a whole variety of moving parts, an optical
    mouse is based on a laser, with no moving parts, so it's inherently more precise...unless maybe
    you've had a lil too much caffeine.

    --

    Onideus Mad Hatter
    mhm ¹ x ¹
    http://www.backwater-productions.net
  40. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    CyberGuys sells replacement mouse balls. www.cyberguys.com
    They have some nice low prices on useful stuff. Nice flash
    media cases made from aluminum, USB cables and Firewire
    cables for just a few bucks.

    Free catalog too.

    "Onideus Mad Hatter" <mad_hatter@charter.net> wrote in
    message news:64mh70te2hlls93jit50unaqhc3gl27c2r@farfoos...
    <pmakley@mail.com> wrote:

    | >"Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)" wrote:
    | >>
    | >> The big difference is that an optical mouse has no
    roller
    | >> ball, hence it doesn't require a mouse pad, can be used
    on
    | >> virtually any solid surface and there are no
    maintenance
    | >> problems such as grime clogging the roller ball thus
    requiring
    | >> it to periodically be cleaned.
    | >

    | >I must be one of the lucky ones as I never much have
    trouble with
    | >dirty mouse-balls. At least they always clean up very
    easily for
    | >me.
    | >
    | >If cleaning a mouse-ball is not a factor then is there
    any other
    | >advantage of optical?
    |
    | No mechanical parts aside from the buttons that can break?
    |
    | Basically the advantage aside from not having to take it
    apart every couple weeks and cleaning it is
    | that because of it's nature (not as many moving parts),
    it's gonna last a lot longer.

    | It should also be noted that cleaning it (not the ball
    portion), can actually make it work worse,
    | since you'll likely clean off all the grease they use on
    the lil internal wheels that make them move
    | better. Not to mention that the mouse ball itself will
    wear down over time, think of it like a car
    | tire, eventually the treads wear. Now you can't really
    see the "treads" on a mouse ball, cause
    | they're uber tiny, but trust me, they're there. After a
    few years they wind up gettin more hard and
    | plasticy than soft and rubbery...sorta like when a capstan
    goes bad in a VCR.

    | And the ultimate bottom line is that optical mice are more
    precise, because, as I mentioned, no
    | moving parts. A ball mouse's precision is based on a
    whole variety of moving parts, an optical
    | mouse is based on a laser, with no moving parts, so it's
    inherently more precise...unless maybe
    | you've had a lil too much caffeine.
    |
    | --
    |
    | Onideus Mad Hatter
    | mhm ¹ x ¹
    | http://www.backwater-productions.net
  41. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    I felt bad when I paid $59.99 for my MS IntelliMouse Explorer, back in '98.
    I am still using it today. Now I only clean mouse balls at other peoples
    houses.

    --

    Good Luck!
    BB

    "Last Boy Scout" <LastBoyScout@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
    > I have had a Microsoft Optical mouse for over 2 years.
    >
    > Normally within 6 months a regular mouse would give me problems and
    > have to be constantly cleaned or replaced.
    >
    > On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:02:38 +0100, Piotr Makley <pmakley@mail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"E2E t-bot BT" <English-to-English.translator.bot@Babel.Fish>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am still using a corded mouse (logitech wheelmouse).
    > >>
    > >> I would like to get a better mouse which has at least as good
    > >> precision, responsiveness, accuracy, etc.
    > >>
    > >> Would an optical mouse be better on all counts?
    > >>
    > >> What about a cordless mouse. Are they poor performers? What
    > >> about a Bluetooth connection - is that good. Is it pricey.
    > >>
    > >> Are there any web sites which discuss this. Google is no help
    > >> to me.
    > >

    > >Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
    > >inherently better than a non-optical mouse?

  42. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Can I take my guns with me?

    "Anon" <noway@nohow.not> wrote in message
    | > o_O
    | >
    | > I'm sorry, could you tell me your name? I just want to
    make sure that if
    | you ever applied for a job
    | > at my company, that I would know not to hire you.
    | >
    | > No offense or anything, but if going out and buying a
    new mouse seemed
    | like a better option that
    | > just using a piece of paper on top of the shiny surface
    as a mouse
    | pad...um...yeah...
    | >

    | Oh that's just too funny. My phone's been ringing off the
    hook this past
    | week with people looking for work. We're currently hiring
    for high six
    | figure IT positions (the catch is, they are overseas, in
    rather iffy areas,
    | and a minimum one year). Nope, sorry . . . you can't have
    my name. Been
    | getting too many phone calls already. -Dave

  43. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:52:17 -0400, "Billy_Bat"
    <billy_bat@reallyhotmail.com> wrote:

    | Now I only clean mouse balls at other peoples
    | houses.

    I'm tempted almost beyond belief, but I wouldn't touch that line with
    a ten-foot pole! ;-)

    Larc

  44. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > Can I take my guns with me?

    No. But in certain cases, you might be issued one. :) -Dave
  45. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Unacceptable, I want MY guns 100% of the time. I'm probably
    too old for the job anyway.

    Proper equipment would include a 1911 .45 and an M4, with
    adequate ammo in spare magazines. And a couple of good
    knives.

    in message
    | > Can I take my guns with me?
    | >

    | No. But in certain cases, you might be issued one.
    :) -Dave

  46. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Unacceptable, I want MY guns 100% of the time. I'm probably
    > too old for the job anyway.
    >
    > Proper equipment would include a 1911 .45 and an M4, with
    > adequate ammo in spare magazines. And a couple of good
    > knives.

    There's no such thing as too old. If there was, I'd be in trouble. If
    you've got formal electronics training and field service experience related
    to any kind of computer networking, send me your resume'. I can't promise
    anything, but we are definitely hiring, the work is easy, and the money is
    nothing to sneeze at. Oh, my return e-mail address is of course faked, but
    that shouldn't be a problem, see below -Dave

    On hotmail dot com, I am user "junknothankyou"
    On hotmail dot com, I am user "junknothankyou"
  47. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <qsidnfEWSrvxrerdRVn-sw@comcast.com>, "Dave C." <spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote:

    >> >Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
    >> >inherently better than a non-optical mouse?
    >>
    >> ...like INFINITELY better. o_O
    >>

    >Way over-simplified. It depends on how you use it. If you are only running
    >office apps. on a desktop computer and have a decent (non-reflective) mouse
    >pad, then it's hard to beat an optical mouse. For a notebook, you want a
    >mechanical mouse (the kind with a mouse ball). That's because optical mice
    >don't work too well on many surfaces you will find in motel rooms, and it's
    >inconvenient to have to carry a mouse pad with a notebook computer. Also,
    >optical mice (all brands) get a bit jumpy on quick movement. If you are a
    >gamer, you might want to stick with the ball. -Dave

    I have a corded optical by Logitech.

    I don't do much games anymore, but, boy, I wish I had an optical when I was
    staying up all night playing DOOM on a BBS's. If you have a 'ball'ed' mouse,
    you need to get a great mouse pad, that's not made with any felt. I remember
    having 2 great mouse pads. One was given out free by PC Magazine. Then it
    wore out after getting abused with all the games I used to play. I ordered
    the magazine again just to get the mouse pad, but it wasn't the same quality.

    After that, I had bought a mouse pad for 20 bucks at Egghead. A mouse pad made
    by 3M, a non-slip surface with little tiny hard plastic pyramid shaped
    contour. I think I kept that for more than 5 years.

    Then the opticals came, it was a savior. Technology is wonderful.
    Afterward, I did not have to buy any more mousepads.

    I know what you mean by jumpy, but, if you're a decent gamer and play with a
    mouse, you will adjust and adapt. If you have hard time controlling it, then
    you need to practice. I still play Quake Arena once in a while using my
    optical ... and shall we say ... It Rocks!

    Peter.

    p.s. And don't ever have to clean that gunk on the ball.
  48. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <fb7e442b1b5ac7926bfa95ea8488f02e@news.teranews.com>, "Anon" <noway@nohow.not> wrote:
    >> Because so many desks are made out glass and mirrors...and for those times
    >when you want to use the
    >> mouse directly on the monitor, oh yeah, yer piss outta luck...but you
    >know, white out on the monitor
    >> will still work. ^_^
    >>

    >I travel a lot for work. I often stay in one motel room for a week or
    >longer, where I have to set up my notebook to do paperwork, check my e-mail,
    >etc. I had the misfortune of having to spend three weeks in a very NICE
    >motel room where the only place to set up a notebook was a glass top table.
    >Had my logitech optical mouse that I wanted to use with my notebook (hate
    >the touchpad) and couldn't use it at all. Went out to buy a mouse pad, but
    >unfortunately, it was one of the few mouse pads that optical mice don't like
    >very well. It didn't look to be too reflective either, but my logitech
    >optical mouse didn't like it one bit.

    There were always free mouse pad available in all the places I stayed.
    I't s black, a bit thick,sometimes in a drawer, had golden letters in front
    spelled, B-i-b-l-e. I would flip it over, and use the back side of it.

    Sometimes, I would open up and read my favorite passage, Psalm 23.

    Peter.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:39:07 GMT, a@b.c (_) wrote:

    >I know what you mean by jumpy, but, if you're a decent gamer and play with a
    >mouse, you will adjust and adapt. If you have hard time controlling it, then
    >you need to practice. I still play Quake Arena once in a while using my
    >optical ... and shall we say ... It Rocks!

    Early generations of optical mice weren't any better than balled mice, any
    quick movement and they'd jump around the screen. Then they improved a
    bit and it was more dependant on mousing surface and just HOW fast they're
    being moved. Moving forward, optical technology has improved to the point
    where today, a good optical (like a Logitech "MX" series) is a great
    choice for gaming. However, a hard-core gamer will probably want a
    corded mouse, Logitech MX300, 310, 500, 510, do not suffer from the slight
    lag inherent to ALL cordless mice, even Logitech's more expensive MX700
    (though if you're right-handed and not an avid gamer the MX700 is a nice
    mouse though a bit pricey).

Homebuilt Hardware Mice Systems