Belkin wireless f7000 wont connect to router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
May 21, 2005 6:57:25 PM

I am having problems with one of the computers on my home network which
includes 2 desktops and one laptop. Everything is linked wirelessly to a
linksys wireless ADSL router.
The problem desktop (all windows XP) is having problems connecting to the
router, it was working until recently and no major changes have been made to
the system which would warrant it loosing the connection, its still in range
of the router as my laptop can get 80% reception in the same place and it
can detect the router but when I press connect nothing happens. My thoughts
are that its a problem with the hardware wireless card which is a Belkin
wireless f7000 I've been on the belkin website and found nothing of any use
(nothing at all infact) has anyone heard of or experienced a similar problem
with this device or any other? Ive checked for hardware and driver problems,
all seems fine.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 25, 2005 7:41:46 PM

In message <BEB4FCD5.37B%holland_luke_161@hotmail.com>, Luke Holland
<holland_luke_161@hotmail.com> writes
>I am having problems with one of the computers on my home network which
>includes 2 desktops and one laptop. Everything is linked wirelessly to a
>linksys wireless ADSL router.
>The problem desktop (all windows XP) is having problems connecting to the
>router, it was working until recently and no major changes have been made to
>the system which would warrant it loosing the connection, its still in range
>of the router as my laptop can get 80% reception in the same place and it
>can detect the router but when I press connect nothing happens. My thoughts
>are that its a problem with the hardware wireless card which is a Belkin
>wireless f7000 I've been on the belkin website and found nothing of any use
>(nothing at all infact) has anyone heard of or experienced a similar problem
>with this device or any other? Ive checked for hardware and driver problems,
>all seems fine.

I've had lots of problems with this brand of NIC (7000 series),
although generally Belkin kit seems fine. I ended up replacing the cards
after one problem on top of another with different PCs.

Anyway, to try to resolve your current issue, have you got WEP enabled,
or any other security? If so, turn it off for a little while and see
what happens. I had one card which just wouldn't work with WEP, but was
fine otherwise, even though it had been fine with WEP for six months!
One day, it just ... stopped.

Have you tried reinstalling/updating the drivers (there are fairly
recently updated drivers for these cards on the Belkin site)? I know
it's frustrating when the system was working and then fails for no
reason, but try everything methodically, including changing channels on
the router and cards in case you're getting interference (again, the
7000s seem much more sensitive to this than some of the other NICs we
use), swapping for the good NIC from your other desktop, and even
stepping down the speed from 54g etc.

If all else fails, bin it and get a different one. 54g cards are dirt
cheap these days.

Good luck
--
Alun Bell