SATA power from PS w/orange wire?

The SATA power cable that comes from my new power supply has an orange wire
(along with the black,red and yellow). The instructions show this wire to
have 3.3vdc . Other power cable adaptors for SATA (that connect to the
normal 4 wire power plugs) that I have seen do not have this orange 3.3v
wire. What is the extra wire for and why would I want to use it?

Thanks,
Lou
2 answers Last reply
More about sata power orange wire

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:22:33 -0700, "Lou" <no-spam@sonic.net> wrote:

    >The SATA power cable that comes from my new power supply has an orange wire
    >(along with the black,red and yellow). The instructions show this wire to
    >have 3.3vdc . Other power cable adaptors for SATA (that connect to the
    >normal 4 wire power plugs) that I have seen do not have this orange 3.3v
    >wire. What is the extra wire for and why would I want to use it?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Lou

    It is 3V on the orange wire.
    Eventually SATA drives may (should) use 3.3V but for the time being the
    industry is operating in "compatibility" mode as a transition (users don't
    like compatibility problems and manufacturers don't like product returns)
    and so drives are usually able to run from 5V given the right adapter.

    You'd want to use the plug because it fits the drive.... sounds too
    simple? Well, that's what it's there for, if a drive isn't able to use
    the 3V for power it won't matter that the plug has 3V on it.

    "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:22:33 -0700, "Lou" <no-spam@sonic.net> wrote:
    >
    > >The SATA power cable that comes from my new power supply has an orange
    wire
    > >(along with the black,red and yellow). The instructions show this wire to
    > >have 3.3vdc . Other power cable adaptors for SATA (that connect to the
    > >normal 4 wire power plugs) that I have seen do not have this orange 3.3v
    > >wire. What is the extra wire for and why would I want to use it?
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >Lou
    > >

    > It is 3V on the orange wire.
    > Eventually SATA drives may (should) use 3.3V but for the time being the
    > industry is operating in "compatibility" mode as a transition (users don't
    > like compatibility problems and manufacturers don't like product returns)
    > and so drives are usually able to run from 5V given the right adapter.
    >
    > You'd want to use the plug because it fits the drive.... sounds too
    > simple? Well, that's what it's there for, if a drive isn't able to use
    > the 3V for power it won't matter that the plug has 3V on it.

    OK thanks. So It does not make any difference in drive operation to use or
    not use the 3v for now.
    Thanks,
    Lou

Homebuilt SATA Power Cable Systems