Power Supply Fan Speed

Hi:
Just finished putting in a new power supply as part of my upgrade.
It is an Antec 480w Truepower. I have noticed though that the internal
fan speed is at 1520 rpm. Is this normal for power supplies, I havent
noticed any power related problems and the exhaust fan is blowing
slightly warm air. Just seems to me that the fan speed is low.

Michael....
5 answers Last reply
More about power supply speed

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:17:38 +0000, Michael J. Donohue
    <mdonohue@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Hi:
    > Just finished putting in a new power supply as part of my upgrade.
    >It is an Antec 480w Truepower. I have noticed though that the internal
    >fan speed is at 1520 rpm. Is this normal for power supplies, I havent
    >noticed any power related problems and the exhaust fan is blowing
    >slightly warm air. Just seems to me that the fan speed is low.
    >
    >Michael....

    In general that sounds OK, so long as it is progressively increasing in
    RPM if/when the temp rises. What i mean is, that's a realistic RPM range
    when the system isn't running warm->hot, but only you can determine if the
    temp of your system is low enough to make that an appropriate speed, since
    a (rare) problem with the fan itself might cause a lower RPM than the
    design was meant to use, but generally you'd notice such a problem, a loud
    bearing or wobbling of the fan.

    My Antec TruPower PSU has some QuietFan technology, or whatever they call
    it. It will increase the fan speed as the temperature rises, but to reduce
    noise it keeps it down as low as possible. No worries.

    Clint

    "Michael J. Donohue" <mdonohue@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    > Just finished putting in a new power supply as part of my upgrade.
    > It is an Antec 480w Truepower. I have noticed though that the internal
    > fan speed is at 1520 rpm. Is this normal for power supplies, I havent
    > noticed any power related problems and the exhaust fan is blowing
    > slightly warm air. Just seems to me that the fan speed is low.
    >
    > Michael....

    Thanks I just cant find anywhere where it mentions the fan speed,
    guess I wont worry about it.

    Mike...

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:25:15 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:17:38 +0000, Michael J. Donohue
    ><mdonohue@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi:
    >> Just finished putting in a new power supply as part of my upgrade.
    >>It is an Antec 480w Truepower. I have noticed though that the internal
    >>fan speed is at 1520 rpm. Is this normal for power supplies, I havent
    >>noticed any power related problems and the exhaust fan is blowing
    >>slightly warm air. Just seems to me that the fan speed is low.
    >>
    >>Michael....
    >
    >In general that sounds OK, so long as it is progressively increasing in
    >RPM if/when the temp rises. What i mean is, that's a realistic RPM range
    >when the system isn't running warm->hot, but only you can determine if the
    >temp of your system is low enough to make that an appropriate speed, since
    >a (rare) problem with the fan itself might cause a lower RPM than the
    >design was meant to use, but generally you'd notice such a problem, a loud
    >bearing or wobbling of the fan.

    Thanks Clint, I just cant find anywhere where it mentions the fan

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:10:18 GMT, "Clint" <noone@nowhere.invalid>
    wrote:

    >My Antec TruPower PSU has some QuietFan technology, or whatever they call
    >it. It will increase the fan speed as the temperature rises, but to reduce
    >noise it keeps it down as low as possible. No worries.
    >
    >Clint
    >
    >"Michael J. Donohue" <mdonohue@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Hi:
    >> Just finished putting in a new power supply as part of my upgrade.
    >> It is an Antec 480w Truepower. I have noticed though that the internal
    >> fan speed is at 1520 rpm. Is this normal for power supplies, I havent
    >> noticed any power related problems and the exhaust fan is blowing
    >> slightly warm air. Just seems to me that the fan speed is low.
    >>
    >> Michael....

    I don't know where you're looking for that information, but the website for
    your PSU is:
    http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_powerSupply.php?ProdID=20480

    Look on the first page of the product manual, second last paragraph on the
    left. The one that starts with "Note:"

    You can also look at the Support, FAQ's, and Downloads link on the page I
    gave you. Two of the three items on that page deal with "Low Noise
    Technology", including a mention of the fan speeds that are acceptable.

    > Thanks Clint, I just cant find anywhere where it mentions the fan
    > speed, guess I wont worry about it.
    >
    > Mike...
    > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:10:18 GMT, "Clint" <noone@nowhere.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >My Antec TruPower PSU has some QuietFan technology, or whatever they call
    > >it. It will increase the fan speed as the temperature rises, but to
    reduce
    > >noise it keeps it down as low as possible. No worries.
    > >
    > >Clint
    > >
    > >"Michael J. Donohue" <mdonohue@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > >> Hi:
    > >> Just finished putting in a new power supply as part of my upgrade.
    > >> It is an Antec 480w Truepower. I have noticed though that the internal
    > >> fan speed is at 1520 rpm. Is this normal for power supplies, I havent
    > >> noticed any power related problems and the exhaust fan is blowing
    > >> slightly warm air. Just seems to me that the fan speed is low.
    > >>
    > >> Michael....

Homebuilt Power Supplies Fan Speed Systems