Power Supply Fan Speed

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
April 14, 2004 2:17:38 PM

Hi:
Just finished putting in a new power supply as part of my upgrade.
It is an Antec 480w Truepower. I have noticed though that the internal
fan speed is at 1520 rpm. Is this normal for power supplies, I havent
noticed any power related problems and the exhaust fan is blowing
slightly warm air. Just seems to me that the fan speed is low.

Michael....

More about : power supply fan speed

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
April 14, 2004 3:25:15 PM

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:17:38 +0000, Michael J. Donohue
<mdonohue@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Hi:
> Just finished putting in a new power supply as part of my upgrade.
>It is an Antec 480w Truepower. I have noticed though that the internal
>fan speed is at 1520 rpm. Is this normal for power supplies, I havent
>noticed any power related problems and the exhaust fan is blowing
>slightly warm air. Just seems to me that the fan speed is low.
>
>Michael....

In general that sounds OK, so long as it is progressively increasing in
RPM if/when the temp rises. What i mean is, that's a realistic RPM range
when the system isn't running warm->hot, but only you can determine if the
temp of your system is low enough to make that an appropriate speed, since
a (rare) problem with the fan itself might cause a lower RPM than the
design was meant to use, but generally you'd notice such a problem, a loud
bearing or wobbling of the fan.
April 15, 2004 2:10:18 AM

My Antec TruPower PSU has some QuietFan technology, or whatever they call
it. It will increase the fan speed as the temperature rises, but to reduce
noise it keeps it down as low as possible. No worries.

Clint

"Michael J. Donohue" <mdonohue@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi:
> Just finished putting in a new power supply as part of my upgrade.
> It is an Antec 480w Truepower. I have noticed though that the internal
> fan speed is at 1520 rpm. Is this normal for power supplies, I havent
> noticed any power related problems and the exhaust fan is blowing
> slightly warm air. Just seems to me that the fan speed is low.
>
> Michael....

a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
April 15, 2004 2:52:51 PM

Thanks I just cant find anywhere where it mentions the fan speed,
guess I wont worry about it.

Mike...

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:25:15 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:17:38 +0000, Michael J. Donohue
><mdonohue@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>Hi:
>> Just finished putting in a new power supply as part of my upgrade.
>>It is an Antec 480w Truepower. I have noticed though that the internal
>>fan speed is at 1520 rpm. Is this normal for power supplies, I havent
>>noticed any power related problems and the exhaust fan is blowing
>>slightly warm air. Just seems to me that the fan speed is low.
>>
>>Michael....
>
>In general that sounds OK, so long as it is progressively increasing in
>RPM if/when the temp rises. What i mean is, that's a realistic RPM range
>when the system isn't running warm->hot, but only you can determine if the
>temp of your system is low enough to make that an appropriate speed, since
>a (rare) problem with the fan itself might cause a lower RPM than the
>design was meant to use, but generally you'd notice such a problem, a loud
>bearing or wobbling of the fan.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
April 15, 2004 2:53:15 PM

Thanks Clint, I just cant find anywhere where it mentions the fan

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:10:18 GMT, "Clint" <noone@nowhere.invalid>
wrote:

>My Antec TruPower PSU has some QuietFan technology, or whatever they call
>it. It will increase the fan speed as the temperature rises, but to reduce
>noise it keeps it down as low as possible. No worries.
>
>Clint
>
>"Michael J. Donohue" <mdonohue@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>> Just finished putting in a new power supply as part of my upgrade.
>> It is an Antec 480w Truepower. I have noticed though that the internal
>> fan speed is at 1520 rpm. Is this normal for power supplies, I havent
>> noticed any power related problems and the exhaust fan is blowing
>> slightly warm air. Just seems to me that the fan speed is low.
>>
>> Michael....

April 15, 2004 5:46:31 PM

I don't know where you're looking for that information, but the website for
your PSU is:
http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_powerSupply.php...

Look on the first page of the product manual, second last paragraph on the
left. The one that starts with "Note:"

You can also look at the Support, FAQ's, and Downloads link on the page I
gave you. Two of the three items on that page deal with "Low Noise
Technology", including a mention of the fan speeds that are acceptable.

!