ATX Mainboard using an Mini-ITX Power-supplay

Hi,

I have an AMD K6/2 Mainboard and try to connect it to an Mini-ITX Power
Supply having 150W

When I start the Computer it powers up but turns off 3 sec after start.

Can someone tell me why? Or is it not possible to connect the ITX
Power-supplay to an normal ATX Mainboard.

Thanks

Steve
5 answers Last reply
More about mainboard mini power supplay

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:14:19 +0200, Steve-Kai Vyska <steve@vyska.de>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have an AMD K6/2 Mainboard and try to connect it to an Mini-ITX Power
    >Supply having 150W
    >
    >When I start the Computer it powers up but turns off 3 sec after start.
    >
    >Can someone tell me why? Or is it not possible to connect the ITX
    >Power-supplay to an normal ATX Mainboard.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Steve

    It sounds like the problem isn't necessarily that it's a mini-ITX supply
    but that, that particular power supply is insufficient capacity (or
    failing) for the system attached. If you have multiple hard drives or
    anything but a low-end video card in use you might try reducing the load,
    unplugging drives or swapping in a low-powered video card.

    > PSU overload protection maybe.

    And this means what?

    Steve

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:07:46 +0200, Steve-Kai Vyska wrote:

    >> PSU overload protection maybe.
    >
    > And this means what?

    When the power drain reaches a critical stage, the psu discconnects output
    to keep from overloading the circuits in itself and blowing up some
    components.

    Hi

    > When the power drain reaches a critical stage, the psu discconnects output
    > to keep from overloading the circuits in itself and blowing up some
    > components.

    ah OK i see. But is it normally possible to use an Mini-ITX Power Supplay
    with an K6/2 Mainboard?

    Steve

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:02:46 +0200, Steve-Kai Vyska wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    >> When the power drain reaches a critical stage, the psu discconnects output
    >> to keep from overloading the circuits in itself and blowing up some
    >> components.
    >
    > ah OK i see. But is it normally possible to use an Mini-ITX Power Supplay
    > with an K6/2 Mainboard?

    I have no clue. 150w sounds too small to me though.

Homebuilt Connection Power ATX Systems