how 2 transfer prog's from old to new ???

sorry its off topic but i couldnt find a basic software group.....

Is there a way to transfer a complete program and its parts from the hard
drive in my old dell to my new pentium 4... I cant find orig prog disc.
I can install the old hard drive in the new pent 4 but its sooooooo
slow... can i transfer from old hd to new hd in same computer??

don ward

--
---
don ward <dward7@earthlink.net>

--
---
don ward <dward7@earthlink.net>

clint

Some applications can simply be "drag and dropped" from your old system to
the new, using whatever method you want. Some options are:
1) Install the HD from the old system into the new, and copy the files
using Windows Explorer (make sure to set the jumper switches accordingly)
2) Network the computers together using a hub, switch, or cross-over cable,
and copy the files using Windows Explorer
3) Copy the files onto floppy, CD, USB flash memory card, etc from the old
machine, and onto the new.

Keep in mind that many applications can't be installed that way. The more
complex the application, the more likely that there are .dll files that need
to be registered, that may or may not be in the applications Program Files
folder (assuming that's where it's at). It's possible to register those
manually if you can find all the ones you need, but it will be a pain in the
butt. There may be other registry settings that aren't created because the
program hasn't been properly installed. However, if the application works
fine from the old hard drive once it's installed in the new system, it may
work fine if you just copy it to the new machine's hard drive.

Clint