Upgrade

Cyrus

Hi I have a Ti4600 128Mb creative card in a 64 bit PC at the moment I
am looking to upgrade it what card are better then this please. I do
video editing manly I don't need a video impute as the mother board has
fire wire and I have a Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge. I use the PC for the
net as well and for playing games. I want to know witch board model
numbers and make I should look out for as the prices of the currant
cards will come down soon now.

Thank you for your help
--
cyrus

cyrus wrote:
> Hi I have a Ti4600 128Mb creative card in a 64 bit PC at the moment
> I am looking to upgrade it what card are better then this please. I do
> video editing manly I don't need a video impute as the mother board
> has fire wire and I have a Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge. I use the PC
> for the net as well and for playing games. I want to know witch board
> model numbers and make I should look out for as the prices of the
> currant cards will come down soon now.
>
> Thank you for your help

Compare your Ti 4600 to the newest cards starting here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html

A gamer could easily make a case for an upgrade to a Radeon 9800Pro or an FX
5900.

Jim

If the issue is only video editing, not games, the problem is generally NOT
the video card (as along as it's a decent card). The problem is raw power,
or lack of it.

The best thing you can do is get the biggest, honkin' Intel P4 CPU you can
afford, and the memory to complement it (e.g., P4 3.2GHz 800MHz + 2GB
PC3200). The more, the better. And a super fast HD too, like a WD Raptor
(<6ms response time as I recall, 10k RPM), maybe even two of 'em in RAID0!,
the speed blows away any little ol' standalone IDE drive! That's the
primary problem w/ audio/video editing, the shear lack of raw power. Take
that same card and place it on the highest-end Intel platform you can
find/afford, and you'd probably be happy as a peach.

Only then, when you've exhausted the CPU/memory/HD issue, would I pursue the
issue of the video card. These high end video cards emphasize gaming
optimizations, like pixel shaders, anti-aliasing, etc., which is irrelevant
to you for video editing. Only upgrade the video card based on gaming
needs, NOT video editing. You're simply wasting your money otherwise, it's
better spent on the CPU/memory/HD, and if need be, a mobo to support it
properly.

If you let the video card drive the process, you'll end up with great gaming
and continued frsutration w/ video editing. If you let the *other* items I
mentioned drive the process, you'lll get great video editing capabilities,
and better gaming (gaming will also benefit from shear, raw power), and
great gaming if you upgrade the video card further.

HTH

Jim