HELP with DFI ultra infinity and AMD XP2500 not posting

hi i recently purchased a DFI Ultra Infinity motherboard but i can't get my
AMD XP 2500 to post. My AMD XP1500 will post on it but not my 2500. Could it
be that i have a bad cpu? This was a cpu given to me so im not 100% sure
that it isn't dead. When i turn on the system i just get a blank screen. No
beeps or anything. All fans are running and the led's on the board light up
but thats about it. Is there a way of checking for sure that the cpu is bad
and not something with the mother board not recognizing it? thanks.Here is
my specs:

DFI Ultra Infinity Rev. A+
AMD XP 2500 (Barton)
GeForce4 ti4800
128mb DDR pc2100 Crucial
128mb DDR pc2100 generic
2 Maxtor 40 gig's
550w PSU

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:55:15 GMT, <812many@earthlink.net> wrote:

>hi i recently purchased a DFI Ultra Infinity motherboard but i can't get my
>AMD XP 2500 to post. My AMD XP1500 will post on it but not my 2500. Could it
>be that i have a bad cpu? This was a cpu given to me so im not 100% sure
>that it isn't dead. When i turn on the system i just get a blank screen. No
>beeps or anything. All fans are running and the led's on the board light up
>but thats about it. Is there a way of checking for sure that the cpu is bad
>and not something with the mother board not recognizing it? thanks.Here is
>my specs:
>
>DFI Ultra Infinity Rev. A+
>AMD XP 2500 (Barton)
>GeForce4 ti4800
>128mb DDR pc2100 Crucial
>128mb DDR pc2100 generic
>2 Maxtor 40 gig's
>550w PSU

Xp2500 Barton uses 166MHz FSB. Your memory bus should be defaulting to at
least 166MHz with the new CPU installed, yet your memory is only PC2100.
You might try removing the generic module, just to see if that helps it to
post, not a suggestion for constant overclock of the memory though.

If the board has manual settings to downclock the FSB to 100MHz, you might
see if that helps... at the moment the priority might be to get the board
to POST at *any* speed while the new CPU is in it, then reset and add
items back one-at-a-time.

How about the power supply? Is it a known good name-brand? Off brand or
generic 550W might be insufficient capacity. _IF_ you suspect the power
supply, take voltage readings with a multimeter if possible.

Is it possible you've disturbed something else while in the case,
installing the new CPU? Check wires, memory, cards, etc.

Sometimes it can help to clear the CMOS. If you're uncertain of whether
current bios version will support Bartons then return old CPU to system
and update the bios.

You write that CPU was "given to" you, does it seem likely that the source
would've given you a non-working CPU? Does it look damaged in any way,
like chips in core or burnt marks, including discoloration on the back?
If you had another motherboard and all of the above failed it'd be useful
to know for sure if the CPU worked in another system known to work with
similar Barton(s).

TRENDING THREADS