Which mini cube-style barebones system is the best?

I am going to build a new PC and I want to use one of those mini, cube-style
cases that come with a built-in motherboard. Which are the best for an
AMD-based system? I've looked at Shuttle XPC series, but I know there are
others, too.

Features I need include (at least) 5.1 sound, AGP slot, built-in Firewire,
and built-in SATA.

David

Definitely check out the New Antec Aria-you get to choose the
motherboard....
dg

In article <c63qoi$7q6mq$1@ID-89710.news.uni-berlin.de>,
nobody@hotmail.com says...
> I am going to build a new PC and I want to use one of those mini, cube-style
> cases that come with a built-in motherboard. Which are the best for an
> AMD-based system? I've looked at Shuttle XPC series, but I know there are
> others, too.
>
> Features I need include (at least) 5.1 sound, AGP slot, built-in Firewire,
> and built-in SATA.

Shuttles are interesting... since they run P4/Athons.
MWave.com has a page where you can pick which shuttle
you want and it shows you what CPUs / memory is
compatible. Price for a shuttle is pretty reasonable
since it comes with a case/power-supply.

Micro-ATX is also interesting, has a few more expansion
slots then mini-ITX boards, still very small board size.

Dig around the avsforum HTPC board (search for shuttle
or mini-itx) and you'll probably get more info then you
can shake a stick at.

(Personally, I'm getting ready to build a VIA EPIA
600Mhz mini-ITX for a PVR... motherboard is completely
fanless, but not the fastest CPU on the block.)

Toshi> In article <c63qoi$7q6mq$1@ID-89710.news.uni-berlin.de>,
Toshi> nobody@hotmail.com says...
>> I am going to build a new PC and I want to use one of those mini,
>> cube-style cases that come with a built-in motherboard. Which are the
>> best for an AMD-based system? I've looked at Shuttle XPC series, but I
>> know there are others, too.

Toshi> Shuttles are interesting... since they run P4/Athons. MWave.com has
Toshi> a page where you can pick which shuttle you want and it shows you
Toshi> what CPUs / memory is compatible. Price for a shuttle is pretty
Toshi> reasonable since it comes with a case/power-supply.

Toshi> Micro-ATX is also interesting, has a few more expansion slots then
Toshi> mini-ITX boards, still very small board size.

I think Intel's Pentium M would be nice processor to have on a barebone
system. Hitachi announced
(http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20040421174117.html) some desktop
PCs with Pentium M, which is mainly used on portables. It uses less power, so
it would not need large fans. Also it is quite fast, so it would be ideal for
multimedia box.

--
Arto V. Viitanen av@cs.uta.fi
University of Tampere, Department of Computer Sciences