Please help-Networking/Router issue

raf

Thanks to all those who participate in assisting others in this forum. I've
learned a great deal viewing some of the posts.

I keep dropping my internet/network connection every 20 min. or so. Here's
my setup: dsl modem to WAN port of wireless router (D-link DI 524).
Outgoing port via ethernet to Microsoft MN 110 USB/ethernet adapter (as I
have no ethernet port on m computer). Adapter via USB cord to desktop. I
can maintain a signal for 15-20 min. and can pick it up on my laptop. I know
for sure I'm picking up the desktop network as I named it something specific
and can find that wireless network via my laptop. I've tried to go into my
router set up program (http://192.168.0.1) and change the channel from 6 to
11 and now back to 6 to no avail. I lose everything ever so often. I've had
these same two computers networked at my office for a year with no problems
but now that I've brought them home to my family they can't maintain a
consistent connection. Any ideas?

raf

As an update to my previous post, I wanted to add that I've turned off
Windows WZC
and I've disabled authentication on the host network. I've also tried to go
in and change the router info from Dynamic IP to PPPoe (since it's a dsl
modem) to no avail. I still lose the connection every 15-20 min. like
clockwork and the only way to restore it is to power off the router and then
power it back on. When everything is working right my laptop recognizes my
desktop and vice versa with no problem. Thanks again for your help.

"RAF" wrote:

> Thanks to all those who participate in assisting others in this forum. I've
> learned a great deal viewing some of the posts.
>
> I keep dropping my internet/network connection every 20 min. or so. Here's
> my setup: dsl modem to WAN port of wireless router (D-link DI 524).
> Outgoing port via ethernet to Microsoft MN 110 USB/ethernet adapter (as I
> have no ethernet port on m computer). Adapter via USB cord to desktop. I
> can maintain a signal for 15-20 min. and can pick it up on my laptop. I know
> for sure I'm picking up the desktop network as I named it something specific
> and can find that wireless network via my laptop. I've tried to go into my
> router set up program (http://192.168.0.1) and change the channel from 6 to
> 11 and now back to 6 to no avail. I lose everything ever so often. I've had
> these same two computers networked at my office for a year with no problems
> but now that I've brought them home to my family they can't maintain a
> consistent connection. Any ideas?

Hi

I would suggest to every one to have at least one Wired computer (or an additional wired
NIC in the Wireless computer), since it is very hard to deal with debugging issues when
you are Wireless only.

In any case the PPPOE issue has nothing to do with Wireless and have to be resolved
first.

DSL-PPPOE http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

As for Wireless.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"RAF" <RAF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As an update to my previous post, I wanted to add that I've turned off
> Windows WZC
> and I've disabled authentication on the host network. I've also tried to go
> in and change the router info from Dynamic IP to PPPoe (since it's a dsl
> modem) to no avail. I still lose the connection every 15-20 min. like
> clockwork and the only way to restore it is to power off the router and then
> power it back on. When everything is working right my laptop recognizes my
> desktop and vice versa with no problem. Thanks again for your help.
>
> "RAF" wrote:
>
> > Thanks to all those who participate in assisting others in this forum. I've
> > learned a great deal viewing some of the posts.
> >
> > I keep dropping my internet/network connection every 20 min. or so. Here's
> > my setup: dsl modem to WAN port of wireless router (D-link DI 524).
> > Outgoing port via ethernet to Microsoft MN 110 USB/ethernet adapter (as I
> > have no ethernet port on m computer). Adapter via USB cord to desktop. I
> > can maintain a signal for 15-20 min. and can pick it up on my laptop. I know
> > for sure I'm picking up the desktop network as I named it something specific
> > and can find that wireless network via my laptop. I've tried to go into my
> > router set up program (http://192.168.0.1) and change the channel from 6 to
> > 11 and now back to 6 to no avail. I lose everything ever so often. I've had
> > these same two computers networked at my office for a year with no problems
> > but now that I've brought them home to my family they can't maintain a
> > consistent connection. Any ideas?

raf

Thanks for the reply Jack. It was a PPPOE "bridge" issue. I set the DSL
modem to "bridge". and then reset everything on the router. I then connected
everything, restarted and then reset the DSL modem back to "PPPOE on the
modem" and logged back into the modem setup screen where I input my username
and password. It's now connecting fine with no disconnect issues.
Apparently it was a common issue with my particular SBC DSL modem. Thanks
again.