Damaged image files after copy

SkuldBR

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Hey guys, I hope you can help me!

I have some pictures in my computer that I had too in my external hd as a backup. Last time I just formatted my PC and restored the backup from the external HD. I had a batch file script that automated both backup and restore process, so I could just let it working overnight. The big problem is that I needed to format the external, but after doing this, I realized that some installers that I had restored was corrupted, like some videos and other files. Then I checked the pictures, and lots of them are damaged. I can open the files, but some have distortions, or colors are messed up. I tried to defrag the drive, tried pixrecovery to restore the picture, but no way, they're still damaged. I want to know if anyone have any idea for me. Really important pictures to me are damaged now... any help will be welcome!

SkuldBR

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Actually I tried Recuva already, but I formatted the drive and then I back up everything again... Recover the files is not an option, unless I spend some money taking the HD to a laboratory to recover those data.
I was thinking about a solution like recovering the files. The curious thing is that the thumbnails in explorer are ok, they have no problem.

Did you check to make sure the desktop resolutions is set to the correct one for the monitor and you are at 32 bit color depth? What are you using to view the pictures? What happens if you print the pictures, do they come out just like how they look on the screen?

SkuldBR

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
The desktop resolution is ok, the same as always. It's not a display problem, only some files are damaged. Here's some pictures to show you what happened to the images:

In some pictures just a thin line appeared, but others are totally damaged as you can see. I'm pretty sure this was some error during the copy of the data to the external drive. I just wanna know if there's any software that can restore these files, since the thumbnails in windows are ok...

Thumbnails are cached, you are probably using the old images for that. If you clear the cache I'm thinking you will see the new bad images in the thumbnails. Although if the thumbnails are your only good version, you may want to save them as they are.

The bottom image you posted looks to be fixable as it looks just like a saturation issue. The other 2, I don't think can be restored. Photoshop or the like may do the trick. Here is some free options http://sixrevisions.com/graphics-design/10-excellent-open-source-and-free-alternatives-to-photoshop/

SkuldBR

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Yeah, just as I expected, no miracle for this problem... ^^
Anyway, thanks for helping, hang-the-9! I Appreciate!!
I think I'll just ask my fiance, I think she have the same pictures that I want. The important pics was the pics from our engagement. Hopefully she may have the same pictures in her computer, so isn't everything lost yet! That's what I hope... or she's gonna kill me.