Really Homebuilt?

Does anyone really homebuild computers today? I drew and etched the
printed circuit board of my FM tuner in 1978, drilled it, soldered on
the components - including ICs - and still use it today. Does anyone do
that kind of thing now- I don't see it being possible?

Geoff Pearson wrote:

> Does anyone really homebuild computers today? I drew and etched the
> printed circuit board of my FM tuner in 1978, drilled it, soldered on
> the components - including ICs - and still use it today. Does anyone do
> that kind of thing now- I don't see it being possible?

Perhaps the more applicable term would be "home assembled" these days.

-WD

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:57:34 +0100, Geoff Pearson wrote:

> Does anyone really homebuild computers today? I drew and etched the
> printed circuit board of my FM tuner in 1978, drilled it, soldered on
> the components - including ICs - and still use it today. Does anyone do
> that kind of thing now- I don't see it being possible?

It's possible, but not feasible. Just laying out the MB would take
probably at least 100 hours. Then having a bare board made would cost at
least $200. And bare means no components on it at all.:)
You'd probably end up spending several thousand before ending up with a
useable MB.

"Geoff Pearson" <gspearson1647@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<c63rr2$7o5i8$1@ID-120835.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Does anyone really homebuild computers today? I drew and etched the
> printed circuit board of my FM tuner in 1978, drilled it, soldered on
> the components - including ICs - and still use it today. Does anyone do
> that kind of thing now- I don't see it being possible?

It depends on your definition of "computer". Robotics
hobbyists typically use microcontrollers attached to
fully custom electronics--either self etched circuit
board or some prototyping option like wire-wrap. A
number of ICs working together is required to get this
to work, except when using "all-in-one" microcontrollers.
These microcontrollers are similar in power to an old
286 or 386 computer system, so you could call them
"computers".

OTOH, they're usually just running a single firmware
program (a custom program by the hobbyist). That's
nothing like a general purpose OS.

Isaac Kuo

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:57:34 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
<gspearson1647@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Does anyone really homebuild computers today? I drew and etched the
>printed circuit board of my FM tuner in 1978, drilled it, soldered on
>the components - including ICs - and still use it today. Does anyone do
>that kind of thing now- I don't see it being possible?

How would you make a multilayer motherboard at home?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

No they don't. They assemble the various components into the case.

--
DaveW

"Geoff Pearson" <gspearson1647@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone really homebuild computers today? I drew and etched the
> printed circuit board of my FM tuner in 1978, drilled it, soldered on
> the components - including ICs - and still use it today. Does anyone do
> that kind of thing now- I don't see it being possible?

>Does anyone really homebuild computers today? I drew and etched the
>printed circuit board of my FM tuner in 1978, drilled it, soldered on
>the components - including ICs - and still use it today. Does anyone do
>that kind of thing now- I don't see it being possible?

I saw a couple of articles at slashdot about making your own cpu via fpga,
making a comp out of 74xx chips, and a few others.

http://www.homebrewcpu.com/
http://www.opencores.com/

I can't find the german guy's site with homebrew cpu. It was an interesting
read.

This stuff is essentially dead now.

M.

Geoff Pearson <gspearson1647@hotmail.com> wrote:
| Does anyone really homebuild computers today? I drew and etched the
| printed circuit board of my FM tuner in 1978, drilled it, soldered on
| the components - including ICs - and still use it today. Does anyone
| do that kind of thing now- I don't see it being possible?

Me too ! :)
My single-valve (tube if you're American) multi-band AM receiver was
lovingly put together by me as a teenager in 1972. Worked for ages. Not seen
it since I got married, though. Still make my own Hi-Fi equipment, burgular
alarm, stuff for the car, and some computer bits and pieces.
Did a lot of construction back in the days when the 6502, 6809 and Z80
processors were popular - though of course the Z80 is still available today.
Problem today is that 32-bit PC architecture seems to 'rule the roost'
giving us home constructors three big problems:
1) Complexity - with all those data and address lines, there's one helluva
lot of tracks on a PCB. To be practical, you need to go multi-layered - this
is very difficult 'at home'.
2) Speed - dealing with multi-gigahertz signals takes some very precise
engineering which is far more difficult and time-consuming than the
megahertz signals used in eight-bit days.
3) Availability - can you just 'pop down' to your local electronics retailer
and buy a VIA m/board chipset 'off the shelf' ?
There's still fun to be had with 8-bit Z80-based contruction, but it is of
limited practical value as there just isn't enough power there to run modern
devices or software. Even a PDA or phone far outstrips the performance of a
Z80 based machine.
There is some activity, in Britain and Germany at least, of home
construction using the Motorola 68000 series architecture - particularly
derivitives of the old Sinclair QL machine (the Q40 and Q60, for example).
My current projects include rebuilding an old SWTPc 6809-based system, which
will use the FLEX op system. Memory and disk interface cards need to be
designed and made for this. Also, there is an S-100 bus Z80 system which
will run CP/M awaiting similar attention. Finally, there's my long-running
project to make a hand-portable CP/M machine - a bit like a Cambridge Z88
but with a bigger screen.
Yes, some people are still building computers at home.
Kevin.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:52:36 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>No they don't. They assemble the various components into the case.

For workstation PCs and servers, that would be true.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:57:34 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
<gspearson1647@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Does anyone really homebuild computers today? I drew and etched the
>printed circuit board of my FM tuner in 1978, drilled it, soldered on
>the components - including ICs - and still use it today. Does anyone do
>that kind of thing now- I don't see it being possible?

I do some above the norm modding.

Cases in point:

About 6 years ago I heavily modded an ISA bus paralell adaptor into an
interface for one of those Panasonic/MKE 2X CD drives.

Last summer I "moved" the LEDs from the back of my NIC to the front of
my case. Of note, the LEDS aren't exposed. I carefully drilled to just
behind the suface of a drive bay cover so you can see the light.

Last fall, I sawed off the back of a souncard, and used that to add
front audio jacks (used the motherboard JFP connectors too.)
I also moved the back slot plate USB connectors up there too.

"Geoff Pearson" wrote:
> Does anyone really homebuild computers today? I drew and etched the
> printed circuit board of my FM tuner in 1978, drilled it, soldered on
> the components - including ICs - and still use it today. Does anyone do
> that kind of thing now- I don't see it being possible?

I built the computer I'm using right now with refrigerator magnets, bailing wire, and wax..

Jon

Gary Tait wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:57:34 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
> <gspearson1647@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Does anyone really homebuild computers today? I drew and etched the
>>printed circuit board of my FM tuner in 1978, drilled it, soldered on
>>the components - including ICs - and still use it today. Does anyone do
>>that kind of thing now- I don't see it being possible?
>>

> I do some above the norm modding.
>
> Cases in point:
>
> About 6 years ago I heavily modded an ISA bus paralell adaptor into an
> interface for one of those Panasonic/MKE 2X CD drives.
>
> Last summer I "moved" the LEDs from the back of my NIC to the front of
> my case. Of note, the LEDS aren't exposed. I carefully drilled to just
> behind the suface of a drive bay cover so you can see the light.
>
> Last fall, I sawed off the back of a souncard, and used that to add
> front audio jacks (used the motherboard JFP connectors too.)
> I also moved the back slot plate USB connectors up there too.

Not since I wirewound a 6502 test computer, that booted a PROM program
to test cables, circuits, etc in my video/audio/ remote mantrap system,
whilst employed as the 'field' engineer at a burglar alarm corporation.

Though I do love to build circuits, I keep receiving FREE computers of
all shapes, sizes, from friends and neighbors, so, I put Linux Live CD
Knoppix on them, and am building a cluster.

There are 22 systems up and running, that all have CD drives, hard
drives, etc. Also, with the parts for another 40 cases, mainboards,
and CPUs, here, I find a shortage of time to complete such a large
project.

Then, the other week, I started to look at the AC power mains needed for
62 AT and ATX systems averaging 300 watts each... for a total of 18,600
watts, at 120 volts AC. Haven't included the lights, switch hubs, and
the five monitors I have running here. About 20 KW total!?

Glad that I know the NEC (National Electrical Code)! Might have to
rewire, to handle the load!

I bet that some of you are running some fairly complex systems, of
multi- monitors, or two computers (or more) on networks. The complexity
of our systems is what has expanded, with the 32 bit technology, though
the hand worked computers may have passed into oblivion for most of us.

Running Knoppix LiveCD, and am going with ClusterKnoppix on the cluster.
http://knopper.net/knoppix

>Then, the other week, I started to look at the AC power mains needed for
>62 AT and ATX systems averaging 300 watts each... for a total of 18,600
>watts, at 120 volts AC. Haven't included the lights, switch hubs, and

At 7 cents a kilowatt/hour, that's about 938 dollars in electricity costs per
month. Is that 300 watts a worst case figure? With a purely resistive load
that's 155 amps, requiring several AC outlets.

I guesstimated my own computer as running at around 100 watts average, with
monitor on less than 8 hours a day, and figure it is costing me $5 a month.

At its peak my LAN was only 5 computers: a 40 mhz microsparc, 500 mhz intel,
1.6 ghz intel, 12 mhz intel, and 700 mhz AMD. I'd like to rebuild it again
sometime. I'm tempted to include non x86 stuff like ultrasparc, alpha, and
ppc.

Michael

>Yes, some people are still building computers at home.

Here's another link of homebrew computer:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr?url=http%3A//kuschel.citybug.d
e/mycpu-g.htm&lp=de_en

I was still in junior high / high school back when most of the homebrew
movement was happening. Couldn't have afforded the parts at that time. I did
have a small microprocessor kit which I programmed in hex machine code. Later
in college used PAL's and other logic in simple circuits. We designed a lot of
stuff in some mac program I forget the name of now. It was a pretty decent
simulator for 40xx / 74xx type stuff. I wish I had taken more digital classes.

M.

Conor <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1aef890b967d554498a3cd@news.claranews.com>...

> THe last homebuilt computer I did was back in the late 80's and
> was a 6502 based jobbie with a hex keypad and LED display.

There was a time when even anything containing a single-chip
microprocessor wasn't really considered a homebuilt; you had to use
bit slices or generic TTL chips for that.