lisabob2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have @home cable connection which was great.
Now it is slow on the downstream. Use to get T-1 speeds now around 60 kps.
Anybody have any idea what could cause slowdown?
I had a @home tech here and his laptop got great speed, so it is in my computer.
It was fine until a few months ago.
Hardware still the same.
I use a usb ethernet adapter, I thought maybe I have too much on usb, I use a keyboard and mouse through usb.
Another weird thing is my online gaming is very fast, I play team fortress classic and I always have good pings.
Things I was thinking of doing:
1. Get a 10/100 nic card
2. REformatt hardrive and start over with a clean drive.
3. Put another hardrive in computer and run of of it to see if it was something my daughter downloaded.
any ideas?

brabus241

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm also a cable modem user at home and I wish they would upgrade their infastructure...or stop adding more suscribers...You mentioned getting a new 10/100 NIC. That wouldn't probably be your bottle neck because the cable modem only has a 10mbps card inside it. Even if your HDD is like 2 or 3 years old, it'll have a 33mbps transfer rate, aka ATA 33. I can't explain why your particular computer is getting low bandwidth...sowwie!

G

Visit www.speedguide.net and try some of their recommendations.

lisabob2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the reply, well I put my other hardrive from the other computer, and my connection is super fast. Something on my hardrive is slowing me down.
I am going to reformat and start from scratch.
Both hard drives are ibm ide deskstars, actually I am going from a 5400 rpm drive to a 7200 one, plus 8.4 gb to 20 gb so it works out better anyway.
thanks again
Bob