Your question

Is my harware compatible with LINUX?

Tags:
  • Linux
  • Compatibility
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 8, 2001 12:41:43 PM

I plan to build a second pc and i want to ask if the hardware i have is compatible with LINUX. I have:
MSI Turbo-R KT133A
Duron 800
Voodoo 3 3500 TVout
128 pc100 generic ram

I need to buy a cd-rom/dvd and a HDD and i am ready to go. I have already bought SuSe 7.1 pro and i will also install win2k pro.

Are all DVDs and HDD compatible with linux? Also do i need to split the HDD before installing anything or i can install both OS in the same dir (c:) . Also which is the best dual boot program? Is it installed in DOS?

Thank you for your answers
Palpatine

More about : harware compatible linux

Anonymous
June 8, 2001 2:27:24 PM

You may want to stay away from Western Digital for the hard drives. They have had issues with some models.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)
June 8, 2001 2:28:27 PM

AFAIK there's no such thing as compability issues under linux when dealing with HDD's/DVD's/CD-ROM's (unless you got some REALLY acient&rare one). It's useful to split HDD before installing OS'es, I don't know is FIPS capable of splitting parition with NTFS (but probably is:) . There may even be option to install linux inside FAT32 file system ( c: ) but I wouldn't recommend that. I guess LILO should be able to take care of both booting linux and W2k.

P.S. are you sure that you want MSI Turbo-R mobo? Weren't some of those models recalled?
Related resources
June 8, 2001 3:04:31 PM

I have already bought the turbo-r (actually i have bought 2). I dont have any problem with the one i use. Also i plan to buy a WD 20EB for an auction site and a creative 12x, 40x DVD (without the mpeg card). Are they a good choice? I dont care so much about top quality/performance i just want to perform good and avoid any harware problems. Ergeorge said not to put a WD in linux. Also can you give me the URLs for the partition programs?

Thanks
Palpatine
June 8, 2001 3:35:37 PM

Dunno about WD HDD's, I haven't heard of problems with them (maybe Egeorge can provide some more information). If you haven't installed any OS yet, you don't need any extra partitioning software: just use fdisk :)  If you're installing W2k first, just make partition for it smaller than entire HDD's capacity (leave at least 2-3Gb (or more) for linux paritions empty). During installations of linux you can make it's partitions to the space you left empty earlier without trashing your W2k installation...
Anonymous
June 8, 2001 4:13:58 PM

Here are some links to back up my previous statement.

<A HREF="http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20000731_78_print.h..." target="_new">Kernel Traffic on WD Drives</A>

<A HREF="http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20000214_54_print.h..." target="_new">more Kernel Traffic</A>

For those that don't know, Andre Hedrick is the principal developer for the IDE subsystem on Linux. He's had an ongoing feud with Western Digital over this.

And another link.
<A HREF="http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Ultra-DMA-9.html" target="_new">Western Digital UDMA Blacklist</A>

I don't think this list is very current though. Considering the small price difference between WD drives and quality drives (anything but WD :smile: ), and the fact that WD drives have pretty lousy performance, I would'nt risk any of them.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)
June 8, 2001 5:39:26 PM

Which HDD is good? IBM, quantum fireball? Also can you give me a link with a dual boot program? Can i setup more than 2 OS in a HDD?

Thanks for your replies
Palpatine
Anonymous
June 12, 2001 8:40:26 AM

Hi,

I have two IBM 75 GXP hard disks in my machine which performs very vell. The are fast and reliable, and were recognized by SuSE at installation.

You can have several OSes on your disk, I have 3 on my test machine. You can access the different OSes either through a dual boot setup or a virtual machine solution.

Regards,

Jostein Berntsen
June 15, 2001 10:19:26 PM

Do i need linux drivers for my hardware like i do in windows? and where do i find them?
Anonymous
June 19, 2001 8:57:39 AM

Most drivers for your PC hardware is included in your Linux distrubution. For some external components like scanners, printers, for which you need special drivers, you can find them at the vendor's website. You can also look for drivers at www.linuxhardware.net/search.phtml#driver
June 30, 2001 6:09:32 AM

My personal advice on partitioning: it sounds like this computer is going to be mostly Windows based but you're running linux on the side to mess around with. I do the same=) Buy the HD (I recommend the IBM drive as well, for under $300 you can get a nice 75 gig drive with great performance), then boot SuSe's CD. It should come with some sort of drive partitioning tool. (If you're a total linux newbie (which it sounds like you are), I'd go with Mandrake 8.0 over SuSe as the installations arguably easier than windows'). Give linux about a 2.5 gig partition devouted to /. and then give another partition devoted to swap (~256 MBs should be fine; the rule of thumb is twice as much as the RAM you've got) and give windows the rest. Linux can read/write to FAT16/32 but windows cannot write to native linux partitions. For that reason, I'd advise you to keep data (i.e. mp3s=)) you want to share between OSes on your windows partition. One last word of warning, if you're using a modem, make SURE you don't buy a software modem (e.g. any by motorola) as they're a bitch for linux compatability more than anything else. If you're seriously want to learn linux, buy the _Running_Linux_ book by the publisher O'Reilly (it's about $25 at www.bookpool.com). It's the best linux manual I've ever read.
July 4, 2001 2:00:40 PM

I have already bought the Suse 7.1 (after a week the 7.2 was released.. bad luck). I have built the pc and here are the parts:

MSI Turbo-R
128 Mb Ram PC100
WD 200EB 20Gb (i know its crap but i got it real cheap)
Voodoo 3 3500 AGP Tv-out
Pioneer DVD 105S
Onboard Audio Ac97 (i know this is crap too)

The HDD is split in three 5Gb - 5Gb and 8GB. The 8 gb is for linux. So i should make a fourth partition with 300mb space for the swap and the rest 7.7 is for linux stuff.

I also plan to buy a sb live! and a radeon graphic card (i want to watch DVD in this pc). Is the radeon supported by Linux? Are there specific drivers for the cards (like windows) or some other procedure to install the card?

Sorry if i made a stupid question. I will make a first try with SuSe tonight and i will tell you the results tomorrow

Thanks for your help
Palpatine
!