Need some advice about computer upgrade and video card.

Hi there. I've just ordered a bunch of new parts, including:

3.2c P4 Processor
2x256 Kingston PC3200 Dual Channel Kit
P4P (non-deluxe) Motherboard
Seagate barracuda 120gb 7200rpm SATA drive

I'm upgrading from a 1.8ghz P4, P4T-E with 2x128mb of 800mhz RDRAM.

My question is I currently have a GeForce Ti4600. It was a very
expensive card when I bought it a few years back (Not expensive now, I
know ;) I'm definately going to be upgrading my video card within the
next few months when the newer ATI and Nvidia models hit and the
current ones drop in price. I'm a casual gamer and like to play a lot
of the latest games. I know the card only has DX8.1 support, but I
also realize not too many games use DX9 yet, and even those that do,
don't fully utilize is. My question is, should I see a decent
performance increase by upgrading the rest of my system? I debated
buying a new video card now, but decided against it, due to my budget
+ the fact that I *know* cards will be dropping in price soon enough.
(I spent $695 Canadian on my Ti4600 two years ago and since then, have
decided I will *never* shell out that much cash for a card again.) Any
input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 01:29:35 -0230, "Steve King"
<sking@nospam.ethernet.org> wrote:

>Hi there. I've just ordered a bunch of new parts, including:
>
>3.2c P4 Processor
>2x256 Kingston PC3200 Dual Channel Kit
>P4P (non-deluxe) Motherboard
>Seagate barracuda 120gb 7200rpm SATA drive
>
>I'm upgrading from a 1.8ghz P4, P4T-E with 2x128mb of 800mhz RDRAM.
>
>My question is I currently have a GeForce Ti4600. It was a very
>expensive card when I bought it a few years back (Not expensive now, I
>know ;) I'm definately going to be upgrading my video card within the
>next few months when the newer ATI and Nvidia models hit and the
>current ones drop in price. I'm a casual gamer and like to play a lot
>of the latest games. I know the card only has DX8.1 support, but I
>also realize not too many games use DX9 yet, and even those that do,
>don't fully utilize is. My question is, should I see a decent
>performance increase by upgrading the rest of my system? I debated
>buying a new video card now, but decided against it, due to my budget
>+ the fact that I *know* cards will be dropping in price soon enough.
>(I spent $695 Canadian on my Ti4600 two years ago and since then, have
>decided I will *never* shell out that much cash for a card again.) Any
>input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The new system should increase performance in games significantly, though
the amount will vary based upon the resolution you run and amount each
particular game stresses different parts of system.

In particular a newer upper-mid to high-end video card will give you
substantially faster FSAA. There's no rush though, just enjoy the new
parts then decide for yourself when it's time to replace the video card.

russell

I'm with Kony on this one. If money's an issue, wait a month or so, and you
should see some pretty good price breaks on current cards when ATI
introduces their new ones and nVidia releases some additional cards based
upon their just-released 6800 series technology. Performance on all
CPU-intensive software and performance in general will be boosted nicely by
the upgraded chipset, processor, memory and hard drive.

Russell
http://tastycomputers.com