onboard spdif in and dvdrom digital audio out

My new motherboard has a spdif in/out header on the motherboard.

Was just wondering if the old digital out two pin connector on my
toshiba sd-m1402 DVDRom is capable of supplying cleaner audio to the
motherboard audio through the spdif in header ? The spdif cable fits
both, but I'm wondering if both are on the same page technologically
speaking ;)
4 answers Last reply
More about onboard spdif dvdrom digital audio

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 04:24:38 -0700, joe_s@nospam.com wrote:

    >My new motherboard has a spdif in/out header on the motherboard.
    >
    >Was just wondering if the old digital out two pin connector on my
    >toshiba sd-m1402 DVDRom is capable of supplying cleaner audio to the
    >motherboard audio through the spdif in header ? The spdif cable fits
    >both, but I'm wondering if both are on the same page technologically
    >speaking ;)

    Yes, they are the same signal. It will most likely be better than the
    analog cables, and quite possibly that digital audio over the IDE bus.

    *Do realiize that that auidio is for audio CDs only, the audio from
    DVDs comes off the IDE with the video, and is decoded in your player
    software.

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:54:05 -0400, Gary Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 04:24:38 -0700, joe_s@nospam.com wrote:
    >

    >>My new motherboard has a spdif in/out header on the motherboard.
    >>
    >>Was just wondering if the old digital out two pin connector on my
    >>toshiba sd-m1402 DVDRom is capable of supplying cleaner audio to the
    >>motherboard audio through the spdif in header ? The spdif cable fits
    >>both, but I'm wondering if both are on the same page technologically
    >>speaking ;)
    >
    >Yes, they are the same signal. It will most likely be better than the
    >analog cables, and quite possibly that digital audio over the IDE bus.
    >
    >*Do realiize that that auidio is for audio CDs only, the audio from
    >DVDs comes off the IDE with the video, and is decoded in your player
    >software.

    Thanks for the info. I'll try it out, but since I don't listen to too
    many audio CD's, it'd probably be a waste of a good audio input ;)

    You wouldn't know where I can find the header cable/pci slot cover for
    the spdif I/O would you ?

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 05:01:38 -0700, joe_s@nospam.com wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:54:05 -0400, Gary Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 04:24:38 -0700, joe_s@nospam.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>My new motherboard has a spdif in/out header on the motherboard.
    >>>
    >>>Was just wondering if the old digital out two pin connector on my
    >>>toshiba sd-m1402 DVDRom is capable of supplying cleaner audio to the
    >>>motherboard audio through the spdif in header ? The spdif cable fits
    >>>both, but I'm wondering if both are on the same page technologically
    >>>speaking ;)
    >>
    >>Yes, they are the same signal. It will most likely be better than the
    >>analog cables, and quite possibly that digital audio over the IDE bus.
    >>
    >>*Do realiize that that auidio is for audio CDs only, the audio from
    >>DVDs comes off the IDE with the video, and is decoded in your player
    >>software.
    >
    >Thanks for the info. I'll try it out, but since I don't listen to too
    >many audio CD's, it'd probably be a waste of a good audio input ;)
    >
    >You wouldn't know where I can find the header cable/pci slot cover for
    >the spdif I/O would you ?

    AFAIK, it is proprietary each manufacturer, or at least each seems to
    sell a bracket for their boards.

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 05:01:38 -0700, joe_s@nospam.com wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:54:05 -0400, Gary Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 04:24:38 -0700, joe_s@nospam.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>My new motherboard has a spdif in/out header on the motherboard.
    >>>
    >>>Was just wondering if the old digital out two pin connector on my
    >>>toshiba sd-m1402 DVDRom is capable of supplying cleaner audio to the
    >>>motherboard audio through the spdif in header ? The spdif cable fits
    >>>both, but I'm wondering if both are on the same page technologically
    >>>speaking ;)
    >>
    >>Yes, they are the same signal. It will most likely be better than the
    >>analog cables, and quite possibly that digital audio over the IDE bus.
    >>
    >>*Do realiize that that auidio is for audio CDs only, the audio from
    >>DVDs comes off the IDE with the video, and is decoded in your player
    >>software.
    >
    >Thanks for the info. I'll try it out, but since I don't listen to too
    >many audio CD's, it'd probably be a waste of a good audio input ;)
    >
    >You wouldn't know where I can find the header cable/pci slot cover for
    >the spdif I/O would you ?

    Audio from an optical drive (other than that in a file such as a DVD or
    other video format) can be transferred over the PCI bus with zero quality
    loss... that's the whole point of digital, it makes no difference how it
    gets to it's destination so far as quality is concerned.

    If you can't find the header cable for your board you might start by
    noting the motherboard's pin-header configuration and go from there.
    Another make of (motherboard) optical dongle may work as-is or after
    swapping a position of the wires in the connector, providing connector has
    proper # of rows/columns. Another option is to make your own, relatively
    easy since anyone could drill a suitable hole in a slot cover bracket,
    attach an RCA jack or two and solder two wires to an appropriate
    pin-header socket, if they're inclined to do so.

Homebuilt Audio Motherboards DVD Drives Systems