Intel motherboard and RAM

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

I have just reassembled my "old" Pentium II-450 for a friend to use.

The Motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2 and is currently fitted with a 128mb
DIMM. I am not sure what speed it is, but would guess that with the age of
the motherboard it is PC100.

I have bought a 256MB DIMM of PC133 and installed this in addition to the
128MB. The bios reconginses the memory, and then displays an error - memory
error at offset 1B. If the system is then rebooted the memory install is
shown as 128MB (i.e the old DIMM)

If the new DIMM is installed by itself, the computer will not boot and the
BIOS does not beep or display anything on screen.

I suspected faulty RAM and have tried another DIMM (of the same make) with
the same results. I have not been able to test the ram in another PC as I
now use PC2100

Any ideas what it might be?

Pete wrote:

> I have just reassembled my "old" Pentium II-450 for a friend to use.
>
> The Motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2 and is currently fitted with a 128mb
> DIMM. I am not sure what speed it is, but would guess that with the age of
> the motherboard it is PC100.
>
> I have bought a 256MB DIMM of PC133 and installed this in addition to the
> 128MB. The bios reconginses the memory, and then displays an error - memory
> error at offset 1B. If the system is then rebooted the memory install is
> shown as 128MB (i.e the old DIMM)
>
> If the new DIMM is installed by itself, the computer will not boot and the
> BIOS does not beep or display anything on screen.
>
> I suspected faulty RAM and have tried another DIMM (of the same make) with
> the same results. I have not been able to test the ram in another PC as I
> now use PC2100
>
> Any ideas what it might be?

..

How many chips are on this 256MB DIMM? What are the part numbers on the chips?

The 440BX chipset supports memory chip densities up to 128Mbit. For this
board, an unbuffered 256MB DIMM with sixteen 16Mx8(128Mbit) chips is
required--eighteen 16Mx8 chips if ECC. Many of the newer 256MB DIMMs will have
eight 32Mx8(256Mbit) chips--nine chips if ECC. You may also find some cheap
256MB DIMMs with sixteen 32Mx4 chips. This board will only support the 256MB
DIMMs that use 16Mx8 chips.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Pete,

As others have posted, there's "high-density" and non-high-density DIMMs.
Might suggest you go to Crucial.com, and use their memory selector. It'll
point you to the exact memory needed.

Jim

In article <408BF982.B57134F3@REMOVE_THISmindspring.com>, steven67@
<steven67@REMOVE_THISmindspring.com> writes
>Pete wrote:
>
>The 440BX chipset supports memory chip densities up to 128Mbit. For
>this
>board, an unbuffered 256MB DIMM with sixteen 16Mx8(128Mbit) chips is
>required--eighteen 16Mx8 chips if ECC. Many of the newer 256MB
>DIMMs will have
>eight 32Mx8(256Mbit) chips--nine chips if ECC. You may also find some
>cheap
>256MB DIMMs with sixteen 32Mx4 chips. This board will only support
>the 256MB
>DIMMs that use 16Mx8 chips.

Out of interest, what density does the 440GX chipset support? I would
have expected it to be the same, yet I have a 512MB DIMM with 16 chips
on it, so they must be 256Mbit chips. Is this the limit for the 440GX?

I recently bought another 512MB stick for this board, and although the
machine would boot with it installed, it wouldn't load Windows and
produced loads of errors under memtest86, so I sent it back as faulty.

I can't remember how many chips it had on it, but I suppose it's
possibly it was higher density still. If this was the case, then I'd
presume the board wouldn't even POST with it installed, rather than work
and produce memory errors?
--
Toby

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 12:16:59 +0100, "Pete" <pete@spamnet.co.uk> wrote:

>I have just reassembled my "old" Pentium II-450 for a friend to use.
>
>The Motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2 and is currently fitted with a 128mb
>DIMM. I am not sure what speed it is, but would guess that with the age of
>the motherboard it is PC100.
>
>I have bought a 256MB DIMM of PC133 and installed this in addition to the
>128MB. The bios reconginses the memory, and then displays an error - memory
>error at offset 1B. If the system is then rebooted the memory install is
>shown as 128MB (i.e the old DIMM)
>
>If the new DIMM is installed by itself, the computer will not boot and the
>BIOS does not beep or display anything on screen.
>
>I suspected faulty RAM and have tried another DIMM (of the same make) with
>the same results. I have not been able to test the ram in another PC as I
>now use PC2100
>
>Any ideas what it might be?

Hi there. The *new* dimm has a different memory density. Please
refer to the mobo manual to identify that your ram is supported. I
have the same problem. Only my 815EPT would recogize the old RAM.

PS: The 128MB might work b'cos they usually have the correct memory
density.

John