memory Question

Can i mix different speed memorys on a morherboard, example: one ddram
pc2100 and a pc2700?

My MSI 865PE Neo2 supports pc 3200 and pc 2700. MSI says not to use pc 3200
in all 4 memory banks.

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:48:23 GMT, "L.E" <leifengberg@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Can i mix different speed memorys on a morherboard, example: one ddram
>pc2100 and a pc2700?

Yes, but the slowest spec'd module will be the limitation on how fast the
system should be able to run. The issue here is that the system doesn't
base it's operating speed on what spec the modules are, rather it's
determined by the CPU, BIOS or jumper/switch settings. In other words if
the memory bus is 133MHz (DDR266), you're fine with 1 PC2100 and 1 PC2700
module. On the other hand if memory bus is 1666MHz (DDR333), you're
overclocking the PC2100 module and may be subject to errors.

With any memory changes be sure to test with http://www.memtest86.com for
several hours prior to booting the OS.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> skrev i meddelandet
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:48:23 GMT, "L.E" <leifengberg@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Can i mix different speed memorys on a morherboard, example: one ddram
> >pc2100 and a pc2700?

> Yes, but the slowest spec'd module will be the limitation on how fast the
> system should be able to run. The issue here is that the system doesn't
> base it's operating speed on what spec the modules are, rather it's
> determined by the CPU, BIOS or jumper/switch settings. In other words if
> the memory bus is 133MHz (DDR266), you're fine with 1 PC2100 and 1 PC2700
> module. On the other hand if memory bus is 1666MHz (DDR333), you're
> overclocking the PC2100 module and may be subject to errors.
>
> With any memory changes be sure to test with http://www.memtest86.com for
> several hours prior to booting the OS.

Thanks for tha answers!

Yes, but they will both run at the speed of the slowest stick.

--
DaveW