connection problems

Hello,

I've got VPN remote access to our office and tend to just use remote desktop
to work on my office PC.

The PC uses a wireless card to connect to the internal network and works
fine with no problems when logging on locally. I only have a problem when I
remote desktop to my PC across the VPN. As soon as I log onto the PC via
remote desktop the wireless connection on the PC continually drops out but
the VPN connection is still up.

The adapter is a dlink adapter and I have downloaded the latest drivers from
their website. I have tried the connection using both the dlink provided
software and the windows wireless software and everything works fine (i.e.
the wireless connection stays up) until you access the network via the vpn
and remote desktop to the PC. I've checked all of the settings as per
is. Any one came across this problem before.

The pc is running XP Pro SP1 and the laptop is running XP Pro SP2 and the
only message you get on the pc is the standard wireless connection not
available.

Thanks for any help on this.

Steve
5 answers Last reply
More about connection problems

    HI
    VPN is very heavy on Wireless, if you are using 802.11b or and your signal is not very
    stable it might be No Can Do.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got VPN remote access to our office and tend to just use remote desktop
    > to work on my office PC.
    >
    > The PC uses a wireless card to connect to the internal network and works
    > fine with no problems when logging on locally. I only have a problem when I
    > remote desktop to my PC across the VPN. As soon as I log onto the PC via
    > remote desktop the wireless connection on the PC continually drops out but
    > the VPN connection is still up.
    >
    > The adapter is a dlink adapter and I have downloaded the latest drivers from
    > their website. I have tried the connection using both the dlink provided
    > software and the windows wireless software and everything works fine (i.e.
    > the wireless connection stays up) until you access the network via the vpn
    > and remote desktop to the PC. I've checked all of the settings as per
    > is. Any one came across this problem before.
    >
    > The pc is running XP Pro SP1 and the laptop is running XP Pro SP2 and the
    > only message you get on the pc is the standard wireless connection not
    > available.
    >

    > Thanks for any help on this.
    >
    > Steve

    Hi Jack,

    Thanks for your response. We are using 802.11g and the access point is next
    to the PC.

    Steve

    "Jack (MVP)" wrote:

    > HI
    > VPN is very heavy on Wireless, if you are using 802.11b or and your signal is not very
    > stable it might be No Can Do.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I've got VPN remote access to our office and tend to just use remote desktop
    > > to work on my office PC.
    > >
    > > The PC uses a wireless card to connect to the internal network and works
    > > fine with no problems when logging on locally. I only have a problem when I
    > > remote desktop to my PC across the VPN. As soon as I log onto the PC via
    > > remote desktop the wireless connection on the PC continually drops out but
    > > the VPN connection is still up.
    > >
    > > The adapter is a dlink adapter and I have downloaded the latest drivers from
    > > their website. I have tried the connection using both the dlink provided
    > > software and the windows wireless software and everything works fine (i.e.
    > > the wireless connection stays up) until you access the network via the vpn
    > > and remote desktop to the PC. I've checked all of the settings as per
    > > is. Any one came across this problem before.
    > >
    > > The pc is running XP Pro SP1 and the laptop is running XP Pro SP2 and the
    > > only message you get on the pc is the standard wireless connection not
    > > available.
    > >

    > > Thanks for any help on this.
    > >
    > > Steve

    Hi Steve

    I'm wondering if this is related to a problem I posted today: "WiFi card
    disconnects on logout"? If your PC in remote mode (i.e. not logged-in
    locally) is behaving as mine is when logged out, it could be symptoms of the
    same problem.

    Let me know what you think (I still haven't found the answer though).

    --
    Rick Jones
    www.activeservice.co.uk

    > Hi Jack,
    >
    > Thanks for your response. We are using 802.11g and the access point is
    next
    > to the PC.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > "Jack (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > HI
    > > VPN is very heavy on Wireless, if you are using 802.11b or and your
    signal is not very
    > > stable it might be No Can Do.
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >

    > > "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I've got VPN remote access to our office and tend to just use remote
    desktop
    > > > to work on my office PC.
    > > >
    > > > The PC uses a wireless card to connect to the internal network and
    works
    > > > fine with no problems when logging on locally. I only have a problem
    when I
    > > > remote desktop to my PC across the VPN. As soon as I log onto the PC
    via
    > > > remote desktop the wireless connection on the PC continually drops out
    but
    > > > the VPN connection is still up.
    > > >
    > > > The adapter is a dlink adapter and I have downloaded the latest
    drivers from
    > > > their website. I have tried the connection using both the dlink
    provided
    > > > software and the windows wireless software and everything works fine
    (i.e.
    > > > the wireless connection stays up) until you access the network via the
    vpn
    > > > and remote desktop to the PC. I've checked all of the settings as per
    problem
    > > > is. Any one came across this problem before.
    > > >
    > > > The pc is running XP Pro SP1 and the laptop is running XP Pro SP2 and
    the
    > > > only message you get on the pc is the standard wireless connection not
    > > > available.
    > > >

    > > > Thanks for any help on this.
    > > >
    > > > Steve

    Hi Rick,

    I looked at your post earlier and it does seem to be a similar problem to
    mine. I'm going to pop into the office later and try the energy saving
    setting to see if that resolves the problem. I've never really checked to
    see what happens to the wireless connection when you log out of the machine,
    so this could be a good direction for me to go in to resolve my problem.

    FYI my problem is happening both when the machine is logged off and just
    locked

    I'll let you know how I get on.

    Steve

    "Rick Jones" wrote:

    > Hi Steve
    >
    > I'm wondering if this is related to a problem I posted today: "WiFi card
    > disconnects on logout"? If your PC in remote mode (i.e. not logged-in
    > locally) is behaving as mine is when logged out, it could be symptoms of the
    > same problem.
    >
    > Let me know what you think (I still haven't found the answer though).
    >
    > --
    > Rick Jones
    > www.activeservice.co.uk
    >
    > "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Jack,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your response. We are using 802.11g and the access point is
    > next
    > > to the PC.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >
    > > "Jack (MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > HI
    > > > VPN is very heavy on Wireless, if you are using 802.11b or and your
    > signal is not very
    > > > stable it might be No Can Do.
    > > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > > >

    > > > "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > desktop

    > works
    > when I
    > via
    > but

    > drivers from
    > provided
    > (i.e.
    > vpn
    > problem

    > the

    Hi Steve

    I've come to the conclusion that my problem is probably a symptom of
    poor signal level. On my latest test I could access by remote desktop,
    and it also remained connected when I logged out.

    But I think the Windows signal-strength indication on the tray icon
    behaves strangely, in a confusing way. It seems as if it reports a good
    signal level when there's low traffic, but if the link starts being
    hammered it decides the signal is poor!

    When working at the PC, the load is usually quite light, but remote
    desktop access, or logging out where a large remote profile is saved
    uses much more bandwidth.

    I noticed using remote desktop that the icon was fluctuating from poor
    to medium, with the data rate bouncing around between 11 / 18 / 24.
    When I disconnected and went back to the monitor, it showed good at 54!

    I've re-positioned the machine a bit, and it seems better. I hadn't
    looked at this before because I kept seeing good or excellent signal
    strength, with 54 bit-rate.

    So I think either Windows method of detecting signal condition is a bit
    odd, or possibly the extra activity in the machine that accompanies
    higher traffic is generating radio interference.

    Strange thing wireless :)

    Cheers
    Rick

Wireless Remote Desktop Connection Wireless Networking