MAMEWORLD is DEAD ?

Have not update since 8th June ?
57 answers Last reply
More about mameworld dead

    Wesley's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
    were:
    > Have not update since 8th June ?

    As said in another thread, the main guy is getting married, and the
    others don't have the login codes.

    Wesley thought about it a bit, then said...
    > Have not update since 8th June ?

    KC's on his honeymoon.

    --
    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:13:22 -0400, Kevin Steele
    <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

    >Wesley thought about it a bit, then said...
    >> Have not update since 8th June ?

    >KC's on his honeymoon.

    I wonder what he's doing ;-)

    PRoToCoL thought about it a bit, then said...
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:13:22 -0400, Kevin Steele
    > <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Wesley thought about it a bit, then said...
    > >> Have not update since 8th June ?
    >
    > >KC's on his honeymoon.
    >
    > I wonder what he's doing ;-)

    Well, we know it doesn't involve MAMEworld. ;-)

    --
    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
    www.retroblast.com

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:22:47 +0100, Terra Cresta
    <terra.cresta@NOSPAMpcarcade.tv> wrote:

    >Something's going down.

    well he is on his honeymoon so I guess it's expected ;-)

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:32:57 GMT, PRoToCoL <protocol@nobloodyway.com>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:22:47 +0100, Terra Cresta
    ><terra.cresta@NOSPAMpcarcade.tv> wrote:
    >
    >>Something's going down.
    >
    >well he is on his honeymoon so I guess it's expected ;-)

    One admin for the entire website? C'mon!

    Cheers,
    Terra Cresta

    PC Arcade
    http://www.pcarcade.tv

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:48:05 +0100, Terra Cresta
    <terra.cresta@NOSPAMpcarcade.tv> wrote:

    >>>Something's going down.

    >>well he is on his honeymoon so I guess it's expected ;-)

    >One admin for the entire website? C'mon!

    Methinks you missed the point TC
    T'was a double entendre

    Terra Cresta's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
    body were:
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:32:57 GMT, PRoToCoL <protocol@nobloodyway.com>
    > wrote:
    >>On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:22:47 +0100, Terra Cresta
    >><terra.cresta@NOSPAMpcarcade.tv> wrote:
    >>>Something's going down.
    >>well he is on his honeymoon so I guess it's expected ;-)
    > One admin for the entire website? C'mon!

    Maybe the others are helping film...

    PRoToCoL <protocol@nobloodyway.com> wrote in

    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:13:22 -0400, Kevin Steele
    > <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Wesley thought about it a bit, then said...
    >>> Have not update since 8th June ?
    >
    >>KC's on his honeymoon.
    >
    > I wonder what he's doing ;-)

    BEING KC:

    /me walks into a small arcade-sized room behind the photocopier:

    'Bloody Hotel; They call it 5-Star and they don't even have a games room
    with arcade machines. Bet thoes morons from a.g.m. are already bitchin
    about the lack of mameworld updates. - I should have bloody sold MW to
    Tim for 5 bucks when he offerred; Fat chance now.' "Yeah, coming
    honey..."

    lob <lob30REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled meyhem

    > PRoToCoL <protocol@nobloodyway.com> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:13:22 -0400, Kevin Steele
    >> <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Wesley thought about it a bit, then said...
    >>
    >>>KC's on his honeymoon.
    >>
    >> I wonder what he's doing ;-)
    >
    > BEING KC:

    (Snip)
    "Yeah, coming honey..."

    Shouldnt he wait until hes in the room first?

    beleive me, one thing worse than making a mess on the pillow, is making a
    mess in the reception area

    AnonyMouse wrote:
    > AnonyMouse <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

    >>Will you quit talking about that gooky stuff you guys?

    Is this some type of racial slur on Asian P0rn? Careful, Baby Jesus
    hates racism.

    > How do I go about killfiling this thread in Outlook Express? All I find is
    > blocked senders!

    Here is how: Right click where it says "Alt.games.Mame" and pick
    "Unsubscribe". Good Luck.

    --
    FSogol

    SINNER wrote:

    > fix the damn virus and install a real newsreader already. Do you
    > drive your car with a flat tire for months at a time?

    Whoa. Deja Vu all over again.

    --
    FSogol

    SINNER wrote:
    Snipped

    >>How do I go about killfiling this thread in Outlook Express? All I
    >>find is blocked senders!
    >>

    > fix the damn virus and install a real newsreader already. Do you
    > drive your car with a flat tire for months at a time?

    No, he drives his car with a flat, then explains to everyone that will
    listen why he cannot change the tyre, but promises to do it "one day".

    Does anyone actually know of any virus (or malware for that matter) that
    will prevent the installation of anything? I've heard of some that
    block antivirus programs, some that stop adaware, but none that stop
    Xnews??? In fact xnews isnt installed IIRC it is a compressed folder
    that you extract and run from the location of your choice.
    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making

    MCR wrote:

    > Does anyone actually know of any virus (or malware for that matter) that
    > will prevent the installation of anything?

    Yes, Windows 98 after running for a few years loses some of its needed
    files (unistallers remove files, direct X changes them, etc) As it gets
    worse, .EXEs won't run, things won't install, etc. The only cure is to
    format C and reinstall Windows.
    --
    FSogol

    * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > SINNER wrote:
    > Snipped
    >
    >>>How do I go about killfiling this thread in Outlook Express? All
    >>>I find is blocked senders!
    >>>

    >> fix the damn virus and install a real newsreader already. Do you
    >> drive your car with a flat tire for months at a time?
    >>

    > No, he drives his car with a flat, then explains to everyone that
    > will listen why he cannot change the tyre, but promises to do it
    > "one day".
    >
    > Does anyone actually know of any virus (or malware for that
    > matter) that will prevent the installation of anything?

    Not without much deeper consequences. ie that would not be the ONLY
    symptom.

    > I've
    > heard of some that block antivirus programs, some that stop
    > adaware, but none that stop Xnews??? In fact xnews isnt installed
    > IIRC it is a compressed folder that you extract and run from the
    > location of your choice.

    EXACTLY but mouse boy over here hasnt even tried to fix to the
    problem. He's like the dog that lays on the porch right over a nail
    sticking up. He continues to yelp about the pain but still dosent
    move.

    --
    David

    * FSogol Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > AnonyMouse wrote:

    [...]

    >> How do I go about killfiling this thread in Outlook Express? All
    >> I find is blocked senders!
    >>
    > Here is how: Right click where it says "Alt.games.Mame" and pick
    > "Unsubscribe". Good Luck.

    ROTFLMMFAO!

    --
    David

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:34:04 GMT, SINNER
    <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:

    >>> Which side of the camera are you referring to you great big stud
    >>> ya! ;-)
    >>
    >> Will you quit talking about that gooky stuff you guys?

    >Get over it.

    Fnarr fnarr ;-)

    MCR <markcoleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    > SINNER wrote:
    > Snipped
    >
    >>> How do I go about killfiling this thread in Outlook Express? All I
    >>> find is blocked senders!
    >>>

    >> fix the damn virus and install a real newsreader already. Do you
    >> drive your car with a flat tire for months at a time?
    >>

    > No, he drives his car with a flat, then explains to everyone that will
    > listen why he cannot change the tyre, but promises to do it "one day".
    >
    > Does anyone actually know of any virus (or malware for that matter)
    > that will prevent the installation of anything? I've heard of some
    > that block antivirus programs, some that stop adaware, but none that
    > stop Xnews??? In fact xnews isnt installed IIRC it is a compressed
    > folder that you extract and run from the location of your choice.

    It installs OK, but it won't access the Internet connection.

    SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:
    > * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >
    >> SINNER wrote:
    >> Snipped

    >>> fix the damn virus and install a real newsreader already. Do you
    >>> drive your car with a flat tire for months at a time?
    >>>

    >> No, he drives his car with a flat, then explains to everyone that
    >> will listen why he cannot change the tyre, but promises to do it
    >> "one day".
    >>
    >> Does anyone actually know of any virus (or malware for that
    >> matter) that will prevent the installation of anything?
    >
    > Not without much deeper consequences. ie that would not be the ONLY
    > symptom.
    >
    >> I've
    >> heard of some that block antivirus programs, some that stop
    >> adaware, but none that stop Xnews??? In fact xnews isnt installed
    >> IIRC it is a compressed folder that you extract and run from the
    >> location of your choice.
    >
    > EXACTLY but mouse boy over here hasnt even tried to fix to the
    > problem. He's like the dog that lays on the porch right over a nail
    > sticking up. He continues to yelp about the pain but still dosent
    > move.

    I will reformat the hard drive this month! So quit teasing me soon I will
    have a real newsreader!

    AnonyMouse wrote:
    Snipped

    >>Does anyone actually know of any virus (or malware for that matter)
    >>that will prevent the installation of anything? I've heard of some
    >>that block antivirus programs, some that stop adaware, but none that
    >>stop Xnews??? In fact xnews isnt installed IIRC it is a compressed
    >>folder that you extract and run from the location of your choice.
    >

    > It installs OK, but it won't access the Internet connection.

    Your virus, i've found it, it's called Windows. It insists that you use
    the tools that came with your pc and stops other programs from working
    properly. Dont worry, this virus is very common, I have it too.
    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making

    AnonyMouse's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
    body were:
    > SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:
    >> EXACTLY but mouse boy over here hasnt even tried to fix to the
    >> problem. He's like the dog that lays on the porch right over a nail
    >> sticking up. He continues to yelp about the pain but still dosent
    >> move.
    > I will reformat the hard drive this month! So quit teasing me soon I will
    > have a real newsreader!

    We'll quit teasing when you stop giving us reason to.

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:40:09 GMT, MCR wrote:
    > AnonyMouse wrote:
    > Snipped
    >
    >>>Does anyone actually know of any virus (or malware for that matter)
    >>>that will prevent the installation of anything? I've heard of some
    >>>that block antivirus programs, some that stop adaware, but none that
    >>>stop Xnews??? In fact xnews isnt installed IIRC it is a compressed
    >>>folder that you extract and run from the location of your choice.
    >>

    >> It installs OK, but it won't access the Internet connection.
    >>

    > Your virus, i've found it, it's called Windows.

    And that from your mouth. ;-)

    Btw. what happend to your xmame?

    > It insists that you use
    > the tools that came with your pc and stops other programs from working
    > properly. Dont worry, this virus is very common, I have it too.

    None of you have. There are other - more painless - operating systems. Like
    BeOS and stuff. :-)

    I assume he has a kind of desktop firewall. Lets malware connect to
    their master but block other applications.
    --
    Andreas

    PGP Keys available, see key servers

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:15:22 GMT, AnonyMouse wrote:
    > SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:
    >> * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >>
    >>> I've
    >>> heard of some that block antivirus programs, some that stop
    >>> adaware,

    Only if both runs with same user permissions. And since most Windows
    users are permanently Administratorantivirus can get stoped by malware.

    >>> but none that stop Xnews???

    Malware might have no interest to stop this. It's not harming the job
    malware has to do.

    One thing is when he is Administrator malware rewrites dlls to their
    needs. If the same dll is used by Xnews it might affect it.

    >> EXACTLY but mouse boy over here hasnt even tried to fix to the
    >> problem. He's like the dog that lays on the porch right over a nail
    >> sticking up. He continues to yelp about the pain but still dosent
    >> move.
    >
    > I will reformat the hard drive this month!

    #v+
    ankman@kitten:~ $ date
    Tue Jun 28 22:15:04 EDT 2005
    #v-

    So two days left. :-)

    > So quit teasing me soon I will
    > have a real newsreader!

    And do yourself a favor and be not Administrator again.
    --

    * Andreas Kohlbach wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:40:09 GMT, MCR wrote:
    >> AnonyMouse wrote:
    >> Snipped

    >>> It installs OK, but it won't access the Internet connection.

    >> Your virus, i've found it, it's called Windows.

    > And that from your mouth. ;-)

    My thoughts exactly. However it seems as though he is back on track
    lately ;)

    I recently grabbed the Ubuntu DVD install as well but I dont really have
    the space to play ATM.
    --
    David
    And anyone can be tooted?

    -- Homer Simpson, on tutoring
    The Way We Was

    Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    Snipped

    >>Your virus, i've found it, it's called Windows.
    >

    > And that from your mouth. ;-)
    >
    > Btw. what happend to your xmame?

    On my Linux partition, it's an older binary so i have just left it, oh
    yeah, ubuntu doesnt even READ ntfs and I am not recompiling a kernel for
    that!

    >>It insists that you use
    >>the tools that came with your pc and stops other programs from working
    >>properly. Dont worry, this virus is very common, I have it too.
    >

    > None of you have. There are other - more painless - operating systems. Like
    > BeOS and stuff. :-)

    BeOS RIP, along with other hangers on like OS/2 Warp, DOS (Sniff) and CP/M

    > I assume he has a kind of desktop firewall. Lets malware connect to
    > their master but block other applications.

    I just found I had malware that was making other programs steal 99% cpu
    cycles... Wildtangent, bloody kids are going to get it when they get in
    from school!
    --

    * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    > Snipped

    >>>Your virus, i've found it, it's called Windows.

    >> And that from your mouth. ;-)

    >> Btw. what happend to your xmame?

    > On my Linux partition, it's an older binary so i have just left it, oh
    > yeah, ubuntu doesnt even READ ntfs and I am not recompiling a kernel for
    > that!

    You should have a fat32 partition so you can swap between OS's anyway.
    I am rather surprised to hear that it wont READ ntfs though, that's been
    in the kernel for years and seems stable to me.

    --
    David
    Hope is a waking dream.

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:57:00 GMT, MCR wrote:
    > Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    > Snipped
    >
    >>>Your virus, i've found it, it's called Windows.
    >>

    >> And that from your mouth. ;-)
    >>
    >> Btw. what happend to your xmame?
    >
    > On my Linux partition, it's an older binary so i have just left it, oh
    > yeah, ubuntu doesnt even READ ntfs and I am not recompiling a kernel for
    > that!

    You sure it can't? Would surprise me. May be

    mkdir /windows && mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /windows

    (assuming you have an IDE system and Windows is on the first partition
    of the first drive) works?

    >>>It insists that you use
    >>>the tools that came with your pc and stops other programs from working
    >>>properly. Dont worry, this virus is very common, I have it too.
    >>

    >> None of you have. There are other - more painless - operating systems. Like
    >> BeOS and stuff. :-)
    >
    > BeOS RIP, along with other hangers on like OS/2 Warp, DOS (Sniff) and CP/M

    Actually stuff for BeOS is still develloped.

    >> I assume he has a kind of desktop firewall. Lets malware connect to
    >> their master but block other applications.
    >
    > I just found I had malware that was making other programs steal 99% cpu
    > cycles... Wildtangent, bloody kids are going to get it when they get in
    > from school!

    Format it, set in up again and give them a restricted account. For you
    too. Only be Admin when you install or configure stuff. Even if they get
    malware then you can get rid of it by removing their accounts including
    their directories. But if you catch malware while beoing Admin the whole
    system is compromized and the only way to get it clean for sure is to
    reformat the partition again.

    On 2005-06-29, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    > You should have a fat32 partition so you can swap between OS's anyway.
    > I am rather surprised to hear that it wont READ ntfs though, that's been
    > in the kernel for years and seems stable to me.

    NTFS itself isn't stable, which is a large part of the problem.

    OG.

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:54:28 GMT, Olivier Galibert wrote:
    > On 2005-06-29, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    >> You should have a fat32 partition so you can swap between OS's anyway.
    >> I am rather surprised to hear that it wont READ ntfs though, that's been
    >> in the kernel for years and seems stable to me.
    >
    > NTFS itself isn't stable, which is a large part of the problem.

    It is quite stable. But only when reading. You can also compile it that
    it can write to an NTFS partition, but there is a high risk that you
    kill NTFS and Windows with it.

    Don't blame Linux, it's because MS does not give out specs for NTFS,
    while they did for VFAT.
    --

    Andreas Kohlbach <ankman@email.com> wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:15:22 GMT, AnonyMouse wrote:
    >> SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:

    > Only if both runs with same user permissions. And since most Windows
    > users are permanently Administratorantivirus can get stoped by
    > malware.

    > Malware might have no interest to stop this. It's not harming the job
    > malware has to do.
    >
    > One thing is when he is Administrator malware rewrites dlls to their
    > needs. If the same dll is used by Xnews it might affect it.
    >
    >>> EXACTLY but mouse boy over here hasnt even tried to fix to the
    >>> problem. He's like the dog that lays on the porch right over a nail
    >>> sticking up. He continues to yelp about the pain but still dosent
    >>> move.
    >>
    >> I will reformat the hard drive this month!
    >
    > #v+
    > ankman@kitten:~ $ date
    > Tue Jun 28 22:15:04 EDT 2005
    > #v-
    >
    > So two days left. :-)
    >
    >> So quit teasing me soon I will
    >> have a real newsreader!
    >
    > And do yourself a favor and be not Administrator again.

    On Windows 98 you have no choice but to be admin.

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:37:23 GMT, AnonyMouse wrote:
    > Andreas Kohlbach <ankman@email.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> And do yourself a favor and be not Administrator again.
    >
    > On Windows 98 you have no choice but to be admin.

    Yes. I thought you had XP.
    --
    Andreas

    PGP Keys available, see key servers

    MCR <markcoleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    > AnonyMouse wrote:
    > Snipped
    >
    >>> Does anyone actually know of any virus (or malware for that matter)
    >>> that will prevent the installation of anything? I've heard of some
    >>> that block antivirus programs, some that stop adaware, but none that
    >>> stop Xnews??? In fact xnews isnt installed IIRC it is a compressed
    >>> folder that you extract and run from the location of your choice.
    >>

    >> It installs OK, but it won't access the Internet connection.
    >>

    > Your virus, i've found it, it's called Windows. It insists that you
    > use the tools that came with your pc and stops other programs from
    > working properly. Dont worry, this virus is very common, I have it
    > too.

    This problem didn't happen when I first got the computer...I even installed
    and got Opera to work. I would be using that if not for the fact that my
    computer crashed and wiped out my program files folder due to the fact that
    I unplugged the power cord (dummy me) during boot-up, where there is a
    flurry of disk activity...so let me tell you I would be using Opera if I
    could.

    AnonyMouse <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
    > MCR <markcoleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >> AnonyMouse wrote:
    >> Snipped

    >>> It installs OK, but it won't access the Internet connection.
    >>>

    >> Your virus, i've found it, it's called Windows. It insists that you
    >> use the tools that came with your pc and stops other programs from
    >> working properly. Dont worry, this virus is very common, I have it
    >> too.
    >
    > This problem didn't happen when I first got the computer...I even
    > installed and got Opera to work. I would be using that if not for the
    > fact that my computer crashed and wiped out my program files folder
    > due to the fact that I unplugged the power cord (dummy me) during
    > boot-up, where there is a flurry of disk activity...so let me tell
    > you I would be using Opera if I could.

    I also forgot to mention that after a virus messed up my system (blame it on
    me, not Windows, for not installing antivirus), and kept any programs
    installed after the virus got on from accessing the Internet, which messed
    up Opera after I had to reinstall it.

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:39:15 GMT, AnonyMouse wrote:
    > MCR <markcoleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> Your virus, i've found it, it's called Windows. It insists that you
    >> use the tools that came with your pc and stops other programs from
    >> working properly. Dont worry, this virus is very common, I have it
    >> too.
    >
    > This problem didn't happen when I first got the computer...I even installed
    > and got Opera to work. I would be using that if not for the fact that my
    > computer crashed and wiped out my program files folder due to the fact that
    > I unplugged the power cord (dummy me) during boot-up, where there is a
    > flurry of disk activity...so let me tell you I would be using Opera if I
    > could.

    Not the virus wiped out your files folder. It got damaged while
    rebooting. It still might be inconsistent.

    I don't know what takes you so long to reinstall Windows.
    --

    * AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    >> And do yourself a favor and be not Administrator again.
    >
    > On Windows 98 you have no choice but to be admin.

    So dont run Windows 98. You already see the consequences, why would you
    ask for a repeat perfomance?

    Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this.....

    --
    David

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:39:15 GMT, AnonyMouse wrote:
    > MCR <markcoleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> Your virus, i've found it, it's called Windows. It insists that you
    >> use the tools that came with your pc and stops other programs from
    >> working properly. Dont worry, this virus is very common, I have it
    >> too.
    >
    > This problem didn't happen when I first got the computer...I even installed
    > and got Opera to work. I would be using that if not for the fact that my
    > computer crashed and wiped out my program files folder due to the fact that
    > I unplugged the power cord (dummy me) during boot-up, where there is a
    > flurry of disk activity...so let me tell you I would be using Opera if I
    > could.

    Not the virus wiped out your files folder. It got damaged while
    rebooting. It still might be inconsistent.

    I don't know what takes you so long to reinstall Windows.

    "Modern' malware has no interest to destroy your (well the one to whom
    your computer belongs then) computer. They want to use it as host, to
    send spam or host kidporn on your computer. So they try to keep "your"
    computer sane and online.
    --
    Andreas

    PGP Keys available, see key servers

    * AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > This problem didn't happen when I first got the computer...I even
    > installed and got Opera to work. I would be using that if not for
    > the fact that my computer crashed and wiped out my program files
    > folder due to the fact that I unplugged the power cord (dummy me)
    > during boot-up, where there is a flurry of disk activity...so let
    > me tell you I would be using Opera if I could.

    WTF are you talking about? I call MAJOR BS. No way that just because
    the HD was chugging away when you pulled the plug that the Program
    Files directory was wiped out, in fact, if that had happened I would
    bet you'd have a hell of time even booting the machine.

    --
    David

    * Andreas Kohlbach Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:54:28 GMT, Olivier Galibert wrote:
    >> On 2005-06-29, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    >>> You should have a fat32 partition so you can swap between OS's
    >>> anyway. I am rather surprised to hear that it wont READ ntfs
    >>> though, that's been in the kernel for years and seems stable to
    >>> me.
    >>
    >> NTFS itself isn't stable, which is a large part of the problem.
    >
    > It is quite stable. But only when reading.

    I think what OG was alluding to is that NTFS is unstable not that the
    Linux (read) drivers are.

    --
    David

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:51:09 GMT, SINNER wrote:
    > * Andreas Kohlbach Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    >>> NTFS itself isn't stable, which is a large part of the problem.
    >>
    >> It is quite stable. But only when reading.
    >
    > I think what OG was alluding to is that NTFS is unstable not that the
    > Linux (read) drivers are.

    Now rereading this you could be right. But still I think it's way better
    than VFAT.
    --

    SINNER wrote:
    > * AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >

    >>This problem didn't happen when I first got the computer...I even
    >>installed and got Opera to work. I would be using that if not for
    >>the fact that my computer crashed and wiped out my program files
    >>folder due to the fact that I unplugged the power cord (dummy me)
    >>during boot-up, where there is a flurry of disk activity...so let
    >>me tell you I would be using Opera if I could.
    >>

    > WTF are you talking about? I call MAJOR BS. No way that just because
    > the HD was chugging away when you pulled the plug that the Program
    > Files directory was wiped out, in fact, if that had happened I would
    > bet you'd have a hell of time even booting the machine.

    In windows98 it might boot, but there would be no internet explorer, no
    Outlook express, no... wait a minute, what folder was that again? ;-)

    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making

    AnonyMouse's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
    body were:

    > I also forgot to mention that after a virus messed up my system (blame it on
    > me, not Windows, for not installing antivirus), and kept any programs
    > installed after the virus got on from accessing the Internet, which messed
    > up Opera after I had to reinstall it.

    Ok how come you have a mysterious virus that no one has heard of? Also,
    why havent you tried fixing it yet?

    Olivier Galibert's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
    his body were:
    > On 2005-06-29, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    >> You should have a fat32 partition so you can swap between OS's anyway.
    >> I am rather surprised to hear that it wont READ ntfs though, that's been
    >> in the kernel for years and seems stable to me.
    > NTFS itself isn't stable, which is a large part of the problem.

    However, reading NTFS partitions isnt a risk. Its only writing to one that
    has issues.

    MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
    > Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    > Snipped
    >>>Your virus, i've found it, it's called Windows.
    >> And that from your mouth. ;-)
    >> Btw. what happend to your xmame?
    > On my Linux partition, it's an older binary so i have just left it, oh
    > yeah, ubuntu doesnt even READ ntfs and I am not recompiling a kernel for
    > that!

    I stick with Kanotix when I want easy debian installs. Supports a shitload
    of hardware right out of the box.

    >>>It insists that you use
    >>>the tools that came with your pc and stops other programs from working
    >>>properly. Dont worry, this virus is very common, I have it too.
    >> None of you have. There are other - more painless - operating systems. Like
    >> BeOS and stuff. :-)
    > BeOS RIP, along with other hangers on like OS/2 Warp, DOS (Sniff) and CP/M
    >> I assume he has a kind of desktop firewall. Lets malware connect to
    >> their master but block other applications.
    > I just found I had malware that was making other programs steal 99% cpu
    > cycles... Wildtangent, bloody kids are going to get it when they get in
    > from school!

    Heh, and Wildtangent has been throwing a tissy fit that they've been
    classed as malware

    Hellmark thought about it a bit, then said...
    > Heh, and Wildtangent has been throwing a tissy fit that they've been
    > classed as malware

    I don't know if you read CPU magazine, but the CEO and founder of Wild
    Tangent, Alex St. John, has a column, and has spent god knows how many
    weeks using the column to argue against the accepted definitions of
    spyware and malware, rail against the antispyware companies and complain
    about programs that uninstalled other programs (such as antispyware). He
    even goes on to claim that software that installs itself without the
    user knowing about it isn't bad at all...

    Never once does he mention why he's so pissed off, but if you know that
    his "driver" has been classified as spyware, his rantings become pretty
    transparent attempts to sway public opinion. Pretty disgusting, IMHO.

    --

    Hellmark wrote:
    > AnonyMouse's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
    > body were:
    >

    >>I also forgot to mention that after a virus messed up my system (blame it on
    >>me, not Windows, for not installing antivirus), and kept any programs
    >>installed after the virus got on from accessing the Internet, which messed
    >>up Opera after I had to reinstall it.
    >

    > Ok how come you have a mysterious virus that no one has heard of? Also,
    > why havent you tried fixing it yet?

    Shhhh... The virus was accidently installed by his mate Harvey.

    --

    * Hellmark Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > Olivier Galibert's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged
    > through his body were:
    >> On 2005-06-29, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    >>> You should have a fat32 partition so you can swap between OS's
    >>> anyway. I am rather surprised to hear that it wont READ ntfs
    >>> though, that's been in the kernel for years and seems stable to
    >>> me.
    >> NTFS itself isn't stable, which is a large part of the problem.
    >
    > However, reading NTFS partitions isnt a risk. Its only writing to
    > one that has issues.

    You guys are misreading OG's post.

    --
    David

    SINNER wrote:
    Snipped
    > Well to say I had a problem getting the thing to burn was an
    > understatement. Nero and EZCD both failed with some BS error telling
    > me I was trying to burn a DVD but the image was a CD...yeah right, 1
    > 2.5 gig CD, sure. SO I hunted down:
    >
    > http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
    >
    > Dont you just love it when the PAY solutions fail and the Free ones
    > work?
    >
    > All that said, Ubuntu seems to be making the biggest splash and is
    > moving quickly over at distrowatch so I figured I'd DL and try it
    > out. Now to go buy a bigger HD <sigh>

    I use that software. To be honest I have been using it since my OEM
    copy of Nero went tits up. What I like about it is it's clean interface,
    simple functionality and pocket friendly price !

    --

    Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:26:38 GMT, MCR wrote:
    >
    >>Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    >>Snipped
    >>

    >>>Format it, set in up again and give them a restricted account. For you
    >>>too. Only be Admin when you install or configure stuff. Even if they get
    >>>malware then you can get rid of it by removing their accounts including
    >>>their directories. But if you catch malware while beoing Admin the whole
    >>>system is compromized and the only way to get it clean for sure is to
    >>>reformat the partition again.
    >>
    >>Although good advice in the Linux/Unix world, account permissions dont
    >>really work properly in Windows. The malware was installed with
    >>permission (by the children) if you remove the ability to install/remove
    >>programs in windows it affects the usability of the OS.
    >

    > Although Windows might lack alot of multiuser ability compared to Unixes
    > you can consider Windows 2000/XP (not 9x or prior) as multiuser OS. On a
    > multiuser OS it's the job of the administrator to install programs. No
    > user shall have the permission to do this. If they want something they
    > have to ask the administator to do so. The administrator is responsible
    > to decide (and test) what to install, and if it can be harmful to the
    > OS.

    On my systems, /every/ user (except my admin & backup admin accounts) is
    restricted. If I want to install something, I just create a shortcut to
    the install file, set it to run with different credentials, then run it
    as admin. I also do that for some software that needs more permissions
    and I don't feel like figuring out /exactly/ what it needs.

    To make my life easier, I created 'admin.bat' for anything I want to run
    as admin (i.e. 'admin cmd'):

    @runas /user:administrator %1

    Simple, no?

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    Evertebrata@leefange.com
    matriculate@landlopers.com
    shiverweed@epigramk.zw
    pessomancy@pumpwright.haematinong.edu
    photographee@grandiosez.edu

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:50:16 GMT, Dead_Dad wrote:
    > Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    >> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:26:38 GMT, MCR wrote:
    >>
    >>>Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    >>>Snipped

    >>>Although good advice in the Linux/Unix world, account permissions dont
    >>>really work properly in Windows. The malware was installed with
    >>>permission (by the children) if you remove the ability to install/remove
    >>>programs in windows it affects the usability of the OS.
    >>

    >> Although Windows might lack alot of multiuser ability compared to Unixes
    >> you can consider Windows 2000/XP (not 9x or prior) as multiuser OS. On a
    >> multiuser OS it's the job of the administrator to install programs. No
    >> user shall have the permission to do this. If they want something they
    >> have to ask the administator to do so. The administrator is responsible
    >> to decide (and test) what to install, and if it can be harmful to the
    >> OS.
    >
    > On my systems, /every/ user (except my admin & backup admin accounts) is
    > restricted. If I want to install something, I just create a shortcut to
    > the install file, set it to run with different credentials, then run it
    > as admin. I also do that for some software that needs more permissions
    > and I don't feel like figuring out /exactly/ what it needs.

    That's how it should be.

    > To make my life easier, I created 'admin.bat' for anything I want to run
    > as admin (i.e. 'admin cmd'):
    >
    > @runas /user:administrator %1
    >
    > Simple, no?

    Seems not, since not enough people do it this way.
    --
    Andreas

    PGP Keys available, see key servers

Games Video Games Product