LCD Panel + Overhead Projector Setup

Hi, I'm looking into getting a setup with an LCD projector panel and an
overhead projector to make a home theater. I've heard that you can take the
back out of a Flat Panel monitor and use it as a very high resolution
Projector Panel, but I really have no idea what I'm doing, so if anybody
could tell me anything they know about this, like what kind of monitor I
need, and what kind of overhead projector I need, or any website that
explains this stuff, I'd greatly appreciate it

Thanks.

"Dan O'Connor" <dsoc21@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm looking into getting a setup with an LCD projector panel and an
> overhead projector to make a home theater. I've heard that you can take
the
> back out of a Flat Panel monitor and use it as a very high resolution
> Projector Panel, but I really have no idea what I'm doing, so if anybody
> could tell me anything they know about this, like what kind of monitor I
> need, and what kind of overhead projector I need, or any website that
> explains this stuff, I'd greatly appreciate it
>
> Thanks.

I am not a techno person. However, I had been looking for an LCD projector
on Ebay a while back (that's the way to go in my opinion). They have ads all
the time on how to build your own LCD projector. Some ads sell the LCD
Projector building instructions selling for .99. There is another ad I used
to see for under the heading Lumenware for 19.99. Don't know if they are
any good, just thought I'd let you know they do sell instructions. Probably
better instructions than what you find on the web???

In case you decide to bid on a projector, I'd buy a new one, or one with few
hours on the bulb. Bid very late and much higher than you would expect the
item to go for, but less than retail. (it was a frustrating process
discovering this... they always sell higher than you would like to pay).
Discontinued models are okay..especially if they are new. First I'd look
around the web and print out ads that display many models and specs to see
what many of these projectors cost. Then, go back and forth to
projectorcentral.com (the best source of projector advice I found) to find
out what other people thought of these projectors. A good find would be a
2000 lumen unit or better. More expensive, but worth it. Expect to pay up
to $800-1000 for a good unit. Since you are going to use the projector for
videos you might consider the newer DSP or DLP(?) technology. Make sure you
get one with a wheel speed greater than 2X as some people complain about the
rainbow effect.

You can still buy a cheaper unit and take a chance on bulb life and quality.
Still might be worth the risk. Some units come very cheap 200-550.
Good luck! I had thought of doing what you are planning, then I saw what it
entailed and backed away. If I had the technical skills I might have tried
to build one myself and bought the Lumenware package for 19.99 to get going.

If you plan to look for a projector on ebay, I would plug in the word
'projector' and see what pops up. Then open a word document and paste all
the words that you don't want to see... like Chevy, Ford, film etc. Then
when you go to advanced list plug in words you don't want in your search. My
old list is below. For some reason not all the words are read into the
first search you do. So, do a refined search again and the second time it
takes all the words. Never figured out why?

Lumenlab Screen overhead bulb filmstrip film 8mm16mm slide crt screen halo
lights headlights headlight 35mm mm halogen fog super super8 projection bell
reels reel viewmaster view master vintage antique opaque bigscreen kit
headlamps foglights fog mount artograph carousel lens dual over cable civic
Honda chevy ford art panel ektagraphic trace prelude accord slide slides
ekta films Toyota tracer draw Brownie Kodak