LCD Panel + Overhead Projector Setup

Hi, I'm looking into getting a setup with an LCD projector panel and an
overhead projector to make a home theater. I've heard that you can take the
back out of a Flat Panel monitor and use it as a very high resolution
Projector Panel, but I really have no idea what I'm doing, so if anybody
could tell me anything they know about this, like what kind of monitor I
need, and what kind of overhead projector I need, or any website that
explains this stuff, I'd greatly appreciate it

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about panel overhead projector setup

    "Dan O'Connor" <dsoc21@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm looking into getting a setup with an LCD projector panel and an
    > overhead projector to make a home theater. I've heard that you can take
    the
    > back out of a Flat Panel monitor and use it as a very high resolution
    > Projector Panel, but I really have no idea what I'm doing, so if anybody
    > could tell me anything they know about this, like what kind of monitor I
    > need, and what kind of overhead projector I need, or any website that
    > explains this stuff, I'd greatly appreciate it
    >
    > Thanks.

    I am not a techno person. However, I had been looking for an LCD projector
    on Ebay a while back (that's the way to go in my opinion). They have ads all
    the time on how to build your own LCD projector. Some ads sell the LCD
    Projector building instructions selling for .99. There is another ad I used
    to see for under the heading Lumenware for 19.99. Don't know if they are
    any good, just thought I'd let you know they do sell instructions. Probably
    better instructions than what you find on the web???

    In case you decide to bid on a projector, I'd buy a new one, or one with few
    hours on the bulb. Bid very late and much higher than you would expect the
    item to go for, but less than retail. (it was a frustrating process
    discovering this... they always sell higher than you would like to pay).
    Discontinued models are okay..especially if they are new. First I'd look
    around the web and print out ads that display many models and specs to see
    what many of these projectors cost. Then, go back and forth to
    projectorcentral.com (the best source of projector advice I found) to find
    out what other people thought of these projectors. A good find would be a
    2000 lumen unit or better. More expensive, but worth it. Expect to pay up
    to $800-1000 for a good unit. Since you are going to use the projector for
    videos you might consider the newer DSP or DLP(?) technology. Make sure you
    get one with a wheel speed greater than 2X as some people complain about the
    rainbow effect.

    You can still buy a cheaper unit and take a chance on bulb life and quality.
    Still might be worth the risk. Some units come very cheap 200-550.
    Good luck! I had thought of doing what you are planning, then I saw what it
    entailed and backed away. If I had the technical skills I might have tried
    to build one myself and bought the Lumenware package for 19.99 to get going.

    If you plan to look for a projector on ebay, I would plug in the word
    'projector' and see what pops up. Then open a word document and paste all
    the words that you don't want to see... like Chevy, Ford, film etc. Then
    when you go to advanced list plug in words you don't want in your search. My
    old list is below. For some reason not all the words are read into the
    first search you do. So, do a refined search again and the second time it
    takes all the words. Never figured out why?

    Lumenlab Screen overhead bulb filmstrip film 8mm16mm slide crt screen halo
    lights headlights headlight 35mm mm halogen fog super super8 projection bell
    reels reel viewmaster view master vintage antique opaque bigscreen kit
    headlamps foglights fog mount artograph carousel lens dual over cable civic
    Honda chevy ford art panel ektagraphic trace prelude accord slide slides
    ekta films Toyota tracer draw Brownie Kodak

Homebuilt LCD Monitor Projector Monitors Systems