Donut

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003

is a computer case with .7mm thickness steel as good as a .8mm?
is there more emi/rfi in the thinner case?

donut wrote:
> is a computer case with .7mm thickness steel as good as a .8mm?
> is there more emi/rfi in the thinner case?
In all wires, or metal conductors, electricity follows the "Skin Effect"
in that all electron flow of electricity is in the first molecule of the
outermost skin.

The greater flow of a #4 guage wire, over a #14 guage wire is due to the
vastly greater skin area of the #4 wire.

If we are dealing with a flat area, there is no significant difference
between a 10 guage steel sheet, and a 6 guage steel sheet, provided they
are both used predominately in their flat sheet shape!

We often use screen mesh, in blocking EMI/RFI, and you might see
multiple layers of screen, folded, used as a gasket, in some computers
from the 1980's. The screen may permit emission of some higher
frequency energy.

In fact, if you examine your Microwave Oven, you will see the 'screen'
of punched holes in the door window, where the holes are smaller than
the wavelength of the tuned microwave frequency, effectively blocking
it, while allowing visual range 'light' frequencies to pass!

In article <44tkc.504828$B81.8946718@twister.tampabay.rr.com>,
Patrick <pberry26@yahoo.com> wrote:
>donut wrote:
>> is a computer case with .7mm thickness steel as good as a .8mm?
>> is there more emi/rfi in the thinner case?

The short answer is No. Is this a general inquery or are you trying
to solve a problem ?

What are you trying to shield ?

Are you trying to prevent interferance from getting in or out ?

Frequently interferance gets in or out via the wires you connect to
the PC, which is why VGA monitor cables and USB cables frequently hove
those lumps on them. If a consmer device causes interferance
in can come under FCC regulations.

FWIW I have the cover off my desktop PC right now. I just carried
an AM/FM radio over to it and tuned the bands. There is a tiny
bit of interference what drops to nothing at 6 ft seperation.

>In all wires, or metal conductors, electricity follows the "Skin Effect"
>in that all electron flow of electricity is in the first molecule of the
>outermost skin.

To be precice, the Skin Effect is only for alternating current, and it's
not "the first molecule. Frequency determines the current density
on the crosssection. It's insignificant until you get into the 10's
of Mhz.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Donut

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003

if i get the thinner case i can save some money
but is i going to interfere with the tv reception?

asus a7n266vm
amd 2000+ xp
onboard video audio lan
wd 10gb
wd 30gb
mitsumi 3.5
sony cdrom

In article <t0q490lilra8tcb48o98deea9o1bo6pbuo@4ax.com>,
donut <donut@glazed.com> wrote:
>if i get the thinner case i can save some money
>but is i going to interfere with the tv reception?
>
>asus a7n266vm
>amd 2000+ xp
>onboard video audio lan
>wd 10gb
>wd 30gb
>mitsumi 3.5
>sony cdrom
>
>On 30 Apr 2004 10:42:38 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

I think the answer is that the thinkness of the metal won't make the
difference, other features of the case may. I doubt if you'll
have a problem.

Most of the RF in a PC is in the GHz range, well above the TV bands.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:48:34 GMT, donut <donut@glazed.com> wrote:

>is a computer case with .7mm thickness steel as good as a .8mm?
>is there more emi/rfi in the thinner case?

No, thickness isn't an issue for emi/rfi at .7mm., but a larger issue
might be how much of that case isn't covered by metal, like a side window,
large openings in front behind plastic bezel.

The biggest issue to me would be that .7mm makes for a flimsy case. .8mm
isn't all that great either, all the cases for my own systems have 1.0mm
in steel... I have one 1.0mm aluminum and won't buy another Al that's
thinner than 1.2mm, as it needs be thicker for same rigidity as steel. If
the cases you're looking at are very small as is possible with that
all-integrated board, at least the smaller size in combination with a lot
of folds and/or creases in the metal may reduce the impact of the thin
metal. Then again a very small case may not have very good cooling for
the 2 HDDs you mentioned.

yogi

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

I would be looking at the thicker case as the thinner the case the
more drummy it will sound with the case and CPU fans. As well as what
has been said by others, the thicker the case the more rigid it will
be.

Cheers

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:48:34 GMT, donut <donut@glazed.com> wrote:

>is a computer case with .7mm thickness steel as good as a .8mm?
>is there more emi/rfi in the thinner case?

eTrust EZ Antivirus Protection
Version 6.1.7.0
©2003 Computer Associates International, Inc
Major dat file v4008
Minor dat file v5386
Macro data file Apr 15 2004 (VMD Ver 1.6)

Donut

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003

what do you use to cover the openings that is not needed?

On Sat, 01 May 2004 18:50:38 GMT, donut <donut@glazed.com> wrote:

>what do you use to cover the openings that is not needed?

Personally I use aluminum tape, commonly found at hardware stores in the
HVAC or tape isle. Since aluminum tape is electrically conductive you'd
want to be sure it's applied to a clean surface and it's adhesive is
holding well, or apply to outer wall of case instead of interior wall,
minimizing chance it could come off and create a short. FWIW, I've never
had any come off, it holds quite well.