New system won't boot windows.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows xp had
always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the scenario:

(sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)

I unhooked everything from my old computer, removed the board from the
chassis, put the new board in, new memory, new processor, heating system,
etc, reattached the cables in the same order (primary master, slave,
secondary slave, power to everything, few other things such as a cable going
from my front panel audigy to it's PCI card, etc), and loaded. Well, it did
load, first try. Came up, I immediately entered bios, checked the system
configuration, and it found everything it was supposed to find, it found all
of the IDE drive, identified the new memory, and the new ram. So I
continued on and let it attempt to boot windows. It passes the "verifying
DMI" stage, screen goes blank (usually this is when it loads the windows
splash screen, I'm pretty sure), and then the computer resets. I repeated
this procedure about 15 times to make sure it was reoccuring. I also
attempted to boot into the three versions of safemode, all of which amount
to the same effect as loading windows.. resetting.

Did switching motherboards on windows some how move windows entry point or
something similar? Anyone know a fix, besides running the "repair" on the
windows CD which re-installs windows (I know it leaves all of the data on
the disk and just rewrites files, and then reruns setup, but there are
multiple reasons I would rather not do that).

Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any help I
can get.

~Chris Martin
16 answers Last reply
More about system boot windows
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Your problem revolves around the motherboard drivers for the
    new board, which aren't there, while the old ones still are.
    At this point you either do a repair or put the old board back in
    and then delete all the the device drivers for the old mobo.

    "Adelphia" <Bob@youruncle.net> wrote in message
    > I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
    > replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows xp had
    > always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the scenario:
    >
    > (sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)
    >
    > I unhooked everything from my old computer, removed the board from the
    > chassis, put the new board in, new memory, new processor, heating system,
    > etc, reattached the cables in the same order (primary master, slave,
    > secondary slave, power to everything, few other things such as a cable
    going
    > from my front panel audigy to it's PCI card, etc), and loaded. Well, it
    did
    > load, first try. Came up, I immediately entered bios, checked the system
    > configuration, and it found everything it was supposed to find, it found
    all
    > of the IDE drive, identified the new memory, and the new ram. So I
    > continued on and let it attempt to boot windows. It passes the "verifying
    > DMI" stage, screen goes blank (usually this is when it loads the windows
    > splash screen, I'm pretty sure), and then the computer resets. I repeated
    > this procedure about 15 times to make sure it was reoccuring. I also
    > attempted to boot into the three versions of safemode, all of which amount
    > to the same effect as loading windows.. resetting.
    >
    > Did switching motherboards on windows some how move windows entry point or
    > something similar? Anyone know a fix, besides running the "repair" on the
    > windows CD which re-installs windows (I know it leaves all of the data on
    > the disk and just rewrites files, and then reruns setup, but there are
    > multiple reasons I would rather not do that).
    >
    > Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any help
    > can get.
    >
    > ~Chris Martin

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Adelphia" <Bob@youruncle.net> wrote in message
    > I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
    > replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows xp had
    > always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the scenario:
    >
    > (sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)
    >
    > I unhooked everything from my old computer, removed the board from the
    > chassis, put the new board in, new memory, new processor, heating system,
    > etc, reattached the cables in the same order (primary master, slave,
    > secondary slave, power to everything, few other things such as a cable
    going
    > from my front panel audigy to it's PCI card, etc), and loaded. Well, it
    did
    > load, first try. Came up, I immediately entered bios, checked the system
    > configuration, and it found everything it was supposed to find, it found
    all
    > of the IDE drive, identified the new memory, and the new ram. So I
    > continued on and let it attempt to boot windows. It passes the "verifying
    > DMI" stage, screen goes blank (usually this is when it loads the windows
    > splash screen, I'm pretty sure), and then the computer resets. I repeated
    > this procedure about 15 times to make sure it was reoccuring. I also
    > attempted to boot into the three versions of safemode, all of which amount
    > to the same effect as loading windows.. resetting.
    >
    > Did switching motherboards on windows some how move windows entry point or
    > something similar? Anyone know a fix, besides running the "repair" on the
    > windows CD which re-installs windows (I know it leaves all of the data on
    > the disk and just rewrites files, and then reruns setup, but there are
    > multiple reasons I would rather not do that).
    >
    > Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any help
    > can get.
    >
    > ~Chris Martin

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Adelphia wrote:
    > I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
    > replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows
    > xp had always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the
    > scenario:
    >
    > (sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)
    >
    > I unhooked everything from my old computer, removed the board from the
    > chassis, put the new board in, new memory, new processor, heating
    > system, etc, reattached the cables in the same order (primary master,
    > slave, secondary slave, power to everything, few other things such as
    > a cable going from my front panel audigy to it's PCI card, etc), and
    > loaded. Well, it did load, first try. Came up, I immediately
    > entered bios, checked the system configuration, and it found
    > everything it was supposed to find, it found all of the IDE drive,
    > identified the new memory, and the new ram. So I continued on and
    > let it attempt to boot windows. It passes the "verifying DMI" stage,
    > screen goes blank (usually this is when it loads the windows splash
    > screen, I'm pretty sure), and then the computer resets. I repeated
    > this procedure about 15 times to make sure it was reoccuring. I also
    > attempted to boot into the three versions of safemode, all of which
    > amount to the same effect as loading windows.. resetting.
    >
    > Did switching motherboards on windows some how move windows entry
    > point or something similar? Anyone know a fix, besides running the
    > "repair" on the windows CD which re-installs windows (I know it
    > leaves all of the data on the disk and just rewrites files, and then
    > reruns setup, but there are multiple reasons I would rather not do
    > that).
    >
    > Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any
    > help I can get.
    >
    > ~Chris Martin

    Why don't you want to run a repair? That's the easiest way of fixing this.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    If you change the motherboard in a Windows XP system then you MUST reformat
    the harddrive and do a fresh install of XP, otherwise you get ongoing nasty
    Registry errors as you have found out.

    --
    DaveW

    "Adelphia" <Bob@youruncle.net> wrote in message
    > I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
    > replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows xp had
    > always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the scenario:
    >
    > (sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)
    >
    > I unhooked everything from my old computer, removed the board from the
    > chassis, put the new board in, new memory, new processor, heating system,
    > etc, reattached the cables in the same order (primary master, slave,
    > secondary slave, power to everything, few other things such as a cable
    going
    > from my front panel audigy to it's PCI card, etc), and loaded. Well, it
    did
    > load, first try. Came up, I immediately entered bios, checked the system
    > configuration, and it found everything it was supposed to find, it found
    all
    > of the IDE drive, identified the new memory, and the new ram. So I
    > continued on and let it attempt to boot windows. It passes the "verifying
    > DMI" stage, screen goes blank (usually this is when it loads the windows
    > splash screen, I'm pretty sure), and then the computer resets. I repeated
    > this procedure about 15 times to make sure it was reoccuring. I also
    > attempted to boot into the three versions of safemode, all of which amount
    > to the same effect as loading windows.. resetting.
    >
    > Did switching motherboards on windows some how move windows entry point or
    > something similar? Anyone know a fix, besides running the "repair" on the
    > windows CD which re-installs windows (I know it leaves all of the data on
    > the disk and just rewrites files, and then reruns setup, but there are
    > multiple reasons I would rather not do that).
    >
    > Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any help
    > can get.
    >
    > ~Chris Martin

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Adelphia wrote:
    > I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
    > replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows xp had
    > always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the scenario:
    >
    > (sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)
    snipped - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -
    > Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any help I
    > can get.
    >
    > ~Chris Martin

    Now would be a GREAT time to try a LiveCD of Knoppix, that boots from
    the CD, runs in RAM! See if it can find all your new resources!
    It also will confirm that your new system is AOK! (I will be checking
    back, to see if you encountered any error messages).

    http://knopper.net/knoppix
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "The Prophecy" <someguy@afakeaddress.com> wrote in message
    > Adelphia wrote:
    > > I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
    > > replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows
    > > xp had always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the
    > > scenario:
    > >
    > > (sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)
    > >
    > > I unhooked everything from my old computer, removed the board from the
    > > chassis, put the new board in, new memory, new processor, heating
    > > system, etc, reattached the cables in the same order (primary master,
    > > slave, secondary slave, power to everything, few other things such as
    > > a cable going from my front panel audigy to it's PCI card, etc), and
    > > loaded. Well, it did load, first try. Came up, I immediately
    > > entered bios, checked the system configuration, and it found
    > > everything it was supposed to find, it found all of the IDE drive,
    > > identified the new memory, and the new ram. So I continued on and
    > > let it attempt to boot windows. It passes the "verifying DMI" stage,
    > > screen goes blank (usually this is when it loads the windows splash
    > > screen, I'm pretty sure), and then the computer resets. I repeated
    > > this procedure about 15 times to make sure it was reoccuring. I also
    > > attempted to boot into the three versions of safemode, all of which
    > > amount to the same effect as loading windows.. resetting.
    > >
    > > Did switching motherboards on windows some how move windows entry
    > > point or something similar? Anyone know a fix, besides running the
    > > "repair" on the windows CD which re-installs windows (I know it
    > > leaves all of the data on the disk and just rewrites files, and then
    > > reruns setup, but there are multiple reasons I would rather not do
    > > that).
    > >
    > > Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any
    > > help I can get.
    > >
    > > ~Chris Martin
    >
    > Why don't you want to run a repair? That's the easiest way of fixing this.

    Two main reasons - I no longer have my windows key, and I have absolutely no
    idea what my admin password was.. it requires it to do the "repair".
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Larry Fine" <larryf@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm
    >

    > "Adelphia" <Bob@youruncle.net> wrote in message
    > > I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
    > > replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows xp
    had
    > > always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the scenario:
    > >
    > > (sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)
    > >
    > > I unhooked everything from my old computer, removed the board from the
    > > chassis, put the new board in, new memory, new processor, heating
    system,
    > > etc, reattached the cables in the same order (primary master, slave,
    > > secondary slave, power to everything, few other things such as a cable
    > going
    > > from my front panel audigy to it's PCI card, etc), and loaded. Well, it
    > did
    > > load, first try. Came up, I immediately entered bios, checked the
    system
    > > configuration, and it found everything it was supposed to find, it found
    > all
    > > of the IDE drive, identified the new memory, and the new ram. So I
    > > continued on and let it attempt to boot windows. It passes the
    "verifying
    > > DMI" stage, screen goes blank (usually this is when it loads the windows
    > > splash screen, I'm pretty sure), and then the computer resets. I
    repeated
    > > this procedure about 15 times to make sure it was reoccuring. I also
    > > attempted to boot into the three versions of safemode, all of which
    amount
    > > to the same effect as loading windows.. resetting.
    > >
    > > Did switching motherboards on windows some how move windows entry point
    or
    > > something similar? Anyone know a fix, besides running the "repair" on
    the
    > > windows CD which re-installs windows (I know it leaves all of the data
    on
    > > the disk and just rewrites files, and then reruns setup, but there are
    > > multiple reasons I would rather not do that).
    > >
    > > Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any
    help
    > > can get.
    > >
    > > ~Chris Martin

    Having problems with a boot disk. I used another computer to make a boot
    disk.. it was a windows xp home computer, but the OS on the computer I'm
    trying to boot is a windows xp pro.. would the boot disk be a problem? The
    computer won't boot fromt he disk, it just gives an invalid disk error when
    it attempts to read it. Ideas?

    ~Chris
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Adelphia wrote:

    >> Why don't you want to run a repair? That's the easiest way of fixing
    >> this.
    >>

    > Two main reasons - I no longer have my windows key, and I have
    > absolutely no idea what my admin password was.. it requires it to do
    > the "repair".

    Download keyfinder from:

    it will tell you your windows key.

    Take care,

    John.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Bioboffin wrote:

    >> Two main reasons - I no longer have my windows key, and I have
    >> absolutely no idea what my admin password was.. it requires it to do
    >> the "repair".
    >
    > Download keyfinder from:
    >
    > http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
    >
    > it will tell you your windows key.

    Sorry - on re-reading I see than you cannot boot into windows, which is, of
    course necessary to use keyfinder.

    John.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 1 May 2004 01:53:51 -0400, "Adelphia" <Bob@youruncle.net> wrote:

    >"The Prophecy" <someguy@afakeaddress.com> wrote in message
    >> Adelphia wrote:
    >> > I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
    >> > replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows
    >> > xp had always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the
    >> > scenario:
    >> >
    >> > (sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)
    >> >
    >> > I unhooked everything from my old computer, removed the board from the
    >> > chassis, put the new board in, new memory, new processor, heating
    >> > system, etc, reattached the cables in the same order (primary master,
    >> > slave, secondary slave, power to everything, few other things such as
    >> > a cable going from my front panel audigy to it's PCI card, etc), and
    >> > loaded. Well, it did load, first try. Came up, I immediately
    >> > entered bios, checked the system configuration, and it found
    >> > everything it was supposed to find, it found all of the IDE drive,
    >> > identified the new memory, and the new ram. So I continued on and
    >> > let it attempt to boot windows. It passes the "verifying DMI" stage,
    >> > screen goes blank (usually this is when it loads the windows splash
    >> > screen, I'm pretty sure), and then the computer resets. I repeated
    >> > this procedure about 15 times to make sure it was reoccuring. I also
    >> > attempted to boot into the three versions of safemode, all of which
    >> > amount to the same effect as loading windows.. resetting.
    >> >
    >> > Did switching motherboards on windows some how move windows entry
    >> > point or something similar? Anyone know a fix, besides running the
    >> > "repair" on the windows CD which re-installs windows (I know it
    >> > leaves all of the data on the disk and just rewrites files, and then
    >> > reruns setup, but there are multiple reasons I would rather not do
    >> > that).
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any
    >> > help I can get.
    >> >
    >> > ~Chris Martin
    >>
    >> Why don't you want to run a repair? That's the easiest way of fixing this.
    >>

    >Two main reasons - I no longer have my windows key, and I have absolutely no
    >idea what my admin password was.. it requires it to do the "repair".

    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    Will let you reset your administrator password. You might also want to get
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    and put it on a cd. Tons of useful tools, including NT Password/registry
    tool listed above on a self booting CD.

    JT
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "JT" <spam@dcplus.dyndns.info> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 1 May 2004 01:53:51 -0400, "Adelphia" <Bob@youruncle.net> wrote:
    >
    > >"The Prophecy" <someguy@afakeaddress.com> wrote in message

    > >> Why don't you want to run a repair? That's the easiest way of fixing
    this.

    > >Two main reasons - I no longer have my windows key, and I have absolutely
    no
    > >idea what my admin password was.. it requires it to do the "repair".
    > >

    > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    > Will let you reset your administrator password. You might also want to get
    > http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    > and put it on a cd. Tons of useful tools, including NT Password/registry
    > tool listed above on a self booting CD.
    >
    > JT

    I know XP has an NT base on it, but will the NT Password/registry tool in
    that program work for windows xp pro? So far, that's my best bet.. boy I'm
    lucky I have lots of computers and cd writers to make boot disks with! Off
    to work.. just finished my last class for my associates degree this morning!
    Sorry, that was off topic, but I would rather be here working on this
    computer then heading off to work right now. Thanks again for the help,
    everyone.

    ~Chris
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 1 May 2004 13:34:05 -0400, "Adelphia" <Bob@youruncle.net> wrote:

    >"JT" <spam@dcplus.dyndns.info> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 1 May 2004 01:53:51 -0400, "Adelphia" <Bob@youruncle.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"The Prophecy" <someguy@afakeaddress.com> wrote in message

    >the

    >this.
    >> >>

    >> >Two main reasons - I no longer have my windows key, and I have absolutely
    >no
    >> >idea what my admin password was.. it requires it to do the "repair".
    >> >

    >> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    >> Will let you reset your administrator password. You might also want to get
    >> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    >> and put it on a cd. Tons of useful tools, including NT Password/registry
    >> tool listed above on a self booting CD.
    >>
    >> JT
    >
    >I know XP has an NT base on it, but will the NT Password/registry tool in
    >that program work for windows xp pro? So far, that's my best bet.. boy I'm
    >lucky I have lots of computers and cd writers to make boot disks with! Off
    >to work.. just finished my last class for my associates degree this morning!
    >Sorry, that was off topic, but I would rather be here working on this
    >computer then heading off to work right now. Thanks again for the help,
    >everyone.
    >
    >~Chris

    Works with XP Pro. There are some limitations, but nothing you are likely
    to run into. Your best bet, the one that always works for me, is to use the
    program to clear the admin password. Once you get everything working, do a
    new admin password. Also, by default on XP (pro or home) the administrator
    account has no password. They hid the administrator account from the logon
    menu, and hope that no one notices it.

    JT
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    If you re-install the old board, you merely download and save
    to disk the new drivers. Delete the old stuff close down, install
    new board and let xp discover the new hardware.

    > On Sat, 1 May 2004 13:34:05 -0400, "Adelphia" <Bob@youruncle.net> wrote:
    >
    > >"JT" <spam@dcplus.dyndns.info> wrote in message

    > >the

    > >this.

    > >no
    > >> >

    > >> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    > >> Will let you reset your administrator password. You might also want to
    get
    > >> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    > >> and put it on a cd. Tons of useful tools, including NT
    Password/registry
    > >> tool listed above on a self booting CD.
    > >>
    > >> JT
    > >
    > >I know XP has an NT base on it, but will the NT Password/registry tool in
    > >that program work for windows xp pro? So far, that's my best bet.. boy
    I'm
    > >lucky I have lots of computers and cd writers to make boot disks with!
    Off
    > >to work.. just finished my last class for my associates degree this
    morning!
    > >Sorry, that was off topic, but I would rather be here working on this
    > >computer then heading off to work right now. Thanks again for the help,
    > >everyone.
    > >
    > >~Chris
    > >

    > Works with XP Pro. There are some limitations, but nothing you are likely
    > to run into. Your best bet, the one that always works for me, is to use
    the
    > program to clear the admin password. Once you get everything working, do a
    > new admin password. Also, by default on XP (pro or home) the administrator
    > account has no password. They hid the administrator account from the logon
    > menu, and hope that no one notices it.
    >
    > JT
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    When you put in new hardware and leave in old drives the OS is still looking
    for the old hardware because the drivers are all there for the old
    motherboard and its features as well as any onboard stuff. Without doing
    anything to change this information it is even possible to get a Windows
    Protection error but in any case it is not surprising that it doesn't finish
    booting. If you must have the hard drives exactly as they are at least get
    a brand new hdd and make it the primary drive and do a fresh format and OS
    install on it. If for any reason you cannot do this then the other option
    is what you don't want to do.
    "Adelphia" <Bob@youruncle.net> wrote in message
    > I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
    > replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows xp had
    > always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the scenario:
    >
    > (sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)
    >
    > I unhooked everything from my old computer, removed the board from the
    > chassis, put the new board in, new memory, new processor, heating system,
    > etc, reattached the cables in the same order (primary master, slave,
    > secondary slave, power to everything, few other things such as a cable
    going
    > from my front panel audigy to it's PCI card, etc), and loaded. Well, it
    did
    > load, first try. Came up, I immediately entered bios, checked the system
    > configuration, and it found everything it was supposed to find, it found
    all
    > of the IDE drive, identified the new memory, and the new ram. So I
    > continued on and let it attempt to boot windows. It passes the "verifying
    > DMI" stage, screen goes blank (usually this is when it loads the windows
    > splash screen, I'm pretty sure), and then the computer resets. I repeated
    > this procedure about 15 times to make sure it was reoccuring. I also
    > attempted to boot into the three versions of safemode, all of which amount
    > to the same effect as loading windows.. resetting.
    >
    > Did switching motherboards on windows some how move windows entry point or
    > something similar? Anyone know a fix, besides running the "repair" on the
    > windows CD which re-installs windows (I know it leaves all of the data on
    > the disk and just rewrites files, and then reruns setup, but there are
    > multiple reasons I would rather not do that).
    >
    > Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any help
    > can get.
    >
    > ~Chris Martin

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Alright, got the new system up and running. I plugged my hard drive into
    another computer, took off what I wanted, burned a few archive CD's, saved
    the music, of course, etc., etc, then put the harddrive back into the new
    system.

    Format, install windows, find hardware, walla. I've had some glitches, but
    I'm fixing them one at a time.

    Again, lots to read, sorry people, mostly success, a bit of failure that I
    would love input on.

    The system is now:

    AMD XP 2500+ (OC'ed to 3200).
    1 GB Corsair low latency 2700 ddrram (2X512 twinx)
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs Platinum
    40gig WD hard drive.

    First problem I had was: I could not for the life of me find the CD that
    came with my sound blaster.. if anyone has this CD, i'll throw some money at
    you have it in your heart to either mail me a copy or burn me an ISO..
    please.. creative's site has was down for a few days, not only that, but
    when it is up, there isn't a single encompassing file for the drive, it's 11
    or so small ones, and I just know I'm gonna mess something up. I have the
    front drive with the remote and all, so I need to get that working again.

    Second problem, I couldn't find my windows key, so I used a hacked one (I
    know, bad). Of course, SP1 didn't want to upgrade because it was illegal, I
    could understand that, fair enough.. then I found my key! So I changed my
    key, and it doesn't want to install it now.. not because of an illegal key,
    but because I downloaded the network version of SP1, hoping it wouldn't
    check the key and just do the installation offline.. it checked the key.
    But it didn't upgrade, and now whenever I attempt to get SP1 it starts it,
    already has the 1.9 mb download, starts running the install, then just stops
    and says something like "the install was not complete".. no error number or
    anything to look up.

    Follow up on this one - think I might have gotten it working.. cleared
    out the WUTEMP folder (windows update), so it had to redownload it's
    installer, it's gotten further this time, so we'll see.

    Thirdly, (a success so far), games like Command and Conquer - Generals, and
    Everquest were freezing. I thought it was because of the overclocking, but
    it just happened faster when I overclocked it, so I did some research and
    found out about some instabilities in the way ATI was handling the AGP.. so
    I flipped a few manual settings on and off and, walla, no more freezing (so
    far, played a hell of a lot longer then I had before and haven't gotten a
    freeze yet). So I just pushed the overclocking back up, we'll see how that
    goes.

    Fouthly, thank you. I really do appreciate all of the posts and suggestions
    you all have made. That boot disk with all the utilities on it, I burned
    the ISO and it's a great disk, very helpful (wasn't for me in this case, but
    I can certainly see myself using it in the future).

    ~Chris

    PS - Really, about that creative CD, if anyone knows where I can get an ISO
    or another CD (would creative send me another??), I'd appeciate it.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "ProfGene" <mfevs@winco.net> wrote in message news:<c733pv$b94d$1@news3.infoave.net>...
    > When you put in new hardware and leave in old drives the OS is still looking
    > for the old hardware because the drivers are all there for the old
    > motherboard and its features as well as any onboard stuff. Without doing
    > anything to change this information it is even possible to get a Windows
    > Protection error but in any case it is not surprising that it doesn't finish
    > booting. If you must have the hard drives exactly as they are at least get
    > a brand new hdd and make it the primary drive and do a fresh format and OS
    > install on it. If for any reason you cannot do this then the other option
    > is what you don't want to do.
    > "Adelphia" <Bob@youruncle.net> wrote in message
    > > I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
    > > replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows xp had
    > > always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the scenario:
    > >
    > > (sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)
    > >
    > > I unhooked everything from my old computer, removed the board from the
    > > chassis, put the new board in, new memory, new processor, heating system,
    > > etc, reattached the cables in the same order (primary master, slave,
    > > secondary slave, power to everything, few other things such as a cable
    > going
    > > from my front panel audigy to it's PCI card, etc), and loaded. Well, it
    > did
    > > load, first try. Came up, I immediately entered bios, checked the system
    > > configuration, and it found everything it was supposed to find, it found
    > all
    > > of the IDE drive, identified the new memory, and the new ram. So I
    > > continued on and let it attempt to boot windows. It passes the "verifying
    > > DMI" stage, screen goes blank (usually this is when it loads the windows
    > > splash screen, I'm pretty sure), and then the computer resets. I repeated
    > > this procedure about 15 times to make sure it was reoccuring. I also
    > > attempted to boot into the three versions of safemode, all of which amount
    > > to the same effect as loading windows.. resetting.
    > >
    > > Did switching motherboards on windows some how move windows entry point or
    > > something similar? Anyone know a fix, besides running the "repair" on the
    > > windows CD which re-installs windows (I know it leaves all of the data on
    > > the disk and just rewrites files, and then reruns setup, but there are
    > > multiple reasons I would rather not do that).
    > >
    > > Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any help
    > > can get.
    > >
    > > ~Chris Martin

    As a last resort there is another way to proceed which I have used
    twice in transferring to a new computer. It involves using NTbackup. I
    have an external USB drive which makes the process simpler. The steps
    are:

    1. Make an NTbackup of the original system to external media.
    2. Install windows XP on the new computer.
    3. On the new computer install the original NT backup data from the
    old computer which will overwite your data but won't if you're
    fortunate displace the new hardare configuration.

    This procedure used to be in the MSKB Article 314070 but was later
    removed.

    Quote from the article--"Windows Backup (NTbackup.exe) can handle
    differences in hardware configuration information between computers
    and maintain critical registry entries that are unique to the computer
    to which you are migrating information, This capability means that you
    can migrate to new hardware by performing a full backup of the source
    computer and then restoring the backup over a fresh installation of
    windows XP on the destination computer".

    My second use of this method involved going from a Via chipset system
    to an Nvidia chipset and went without a hitch. The fact that the
    article was removed from the KB probably indicates that the method
    isn't always successful. Also you will need the original key from the
    first setup.

Homebuilt Systems