Monitor Comparison

Bruce

Hi,

I'm considering getting my daughter a Dell 4600 Dimension for college.
It's tempting to build, but she needs it to be a standard machine since I
won't be around to tweak/maintain.

The 4600 will have an NVidia FX5200 (128MB DDR) TV-out/DVI graphics card.
She doesn't play video games, buts will watch DVDs.

I'd like to get her a 17" digital LCD to save space. She doesn't play
video games, buts will watch DVDs.

Dell will include their 17" 1703FP Ultrasharp Digital FP for $459, or a
17" Samsung 173T Digital FP for $469. I'm pretty sure the included
warranty on the Ultrasharp is the basic 1-year Dell hardware warranty,
but I don't know if when the Samsung is purchased through Dell, the
Samsung 3-year warranty is reduced to only one year. Anyone?

Some specs:

Dell Samsung
Resolution: 1280x1024 1280x1024
Brightness: 250 270
Contrast: 600:1 450:1
View Angle: 170H/170V 150H/120V
Sync: 80H/75V 81H/75V

I belive the Dell's height is adjustable; don't know yet about the
Samsung.

I've got a 20" Ultrasharp at work, and it's ok. I'm not familiar with
the Samsung. Should the lower contrast ratio and viewing angle be of a
concern? Anyone know who makes the Dell Ultrasharp monitors?

Other comments?

Thanks a lot,
Bruce

Bruce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering getting my daughter a Dell 4600 Dimension for college.
> It's tempting to build, but she needs it to be a standard machine
> since I won't be around to tweak/maintain.
>
> The 4600 will have an NVidia FX5200 (128MB DDR) TV-out/DVI graphics
> card. She doesn't play video games, buts will watch DVDs.
>
> I'd like to get her a 17" digital LCD to save space. She doesn't play
> video games, buts will watch DVDs.
>
> Dell will include their 17" 1703FP Ultrasharp Digital FP for $459, or
> a 17" Samsung 173T Digital FP for $469. I'm pretty sure the included
> warranty on the Ultrasharp is the basic 1-year Dell hardware warranty,
> but I don't know if when the Samsung is purchased through Dell, the
> Samsung 3-year warranty is reduced to only one year. Anyone?
>
> Some specs:
>
> Dell Samsung
> Resolution: 1280x1024 1280x1024
> Brightness: 250 270
> Contrast: 600:1 450:1
> View Angle: 170H/170V 150H/120V
> Sync: 80H/75V 81H/75V
>
> I belive the Dell's height is adjustable; don't know yet about the
> Samsung.
>
> I've got a 20" Ultrasharp at work, and it's ok. I'm not familiar with
> the Samsung. Should the lower contrast ratio and viewing angle be of
> a concern? Anyone know who makes the Dell Ultrasharp monitors?
>
> Other comments?

On paper the two LCD monitors are quite similar. The real test is to compare
them side by side, at their native resolution. Second best is to view them
individually. What makes a "good" monitor is quite subjective, including the
viewing angle. If Dell doesn't offer a 3 year warranty on the Samsung, look
elsewhere for a 17" TFT monitor.

Bruce

"S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote in

> Bruce wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm considering getting my daughter a Dell 4600 Dimension for
>> college. It's tempting to build, but she needs it to be a standard
>> machine since I won't be around to tweak/maintain.
>>
>> The 4600 will have an NVidia FX5200 (128MB DDR) TV-out/DVI graphics
>> card. She doesn't play video games, buts will watch DVDs.
>>
>> I'd like to get her a 17" digital LCD to save space. She doesn't
>> play video games, buts will watch DVDs.
>>
>> Dell will include their 17" 1703FP Ultrasharp Digital FP for $459, or
>> a 17" Samsung 173T Digital FP for $469. I'm pretty sure the included
>> warranty on the Ultrasharp is the basic 1-year Dell hardware
>> warranty, but I don't know if when the Samsung is purchased through
>> Dell, the Samsung 3-year warranty is reduced to only one year.
>> Anyone?
>>
>> Some specs:
>>
>> Dell Samsung
>> Resolution: 1280x1024 1280x1024
>> Brightness: 250 270
>> Contrast: 600:1 450:1
>> View Angle: 170H/170V 150H/120V
>> Sync: 80H/75V 81H/75V
>>
>> I belive the Dell's height is adjustable; don't know yet about the
>> Samsung.
>>
>> I've got a 20" Ultrasharp at work, and it's ok. I'm not familiar
>> with the Samsung. Should the lower contrast ratio and viewing angle
>> be of a concern? Anyone know who makes the Dell Ultrasharp monitors?
>>
>> Other comments?
>
> On paper the two LCD monitors are quite similar. The real test is to
> compare them side by side, at their native resolution. Second best is
> to view them individually. What makes a "good" monitor is quite
> subjective, including the viewing angle. If Dell doesn't offer a 3
> year warranty on the Samsung, look elsewhere for a 17" TFT monitor.

Thanks for the reply.

I found out that Dell does offer a 3-year warranty on both. By the way,
I moved my question over to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt. There have
been lots of helpful responses.

Thanks again,
Bruce