Overclocking a P4 2.8GHZ for a 1st timer

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I have just bought an Abit IS7 and a P4 2.8GHz 800fsb.
I intend to buy some ddr400 memory and a TI4200 8xAGP card.
I want to overclock using stock fans and heatsinks and believe that
3.2GHz is very reachable. Would the following steps describe briefly
what needs to be done to achieve my target:-

1. Via the bios, up the mainboard fsb to about 220-225MHz and adjust
the cpu voltage accordingly(also via the bios?)

2. the ddr400 runs at 200MHz so an increase of 20-25MHz would oc the
memory as well so the memory voltage has to be increased as well. The
timings can be changed as well but I don't understand enough to be
able to do so confidently.

3. I'm even more unclear about how to oc the graphics card but does it
involve using 3rd party software and does not need anything altering
in the bios.

Can anyone confirm that I am on the right track or add any tips that
may prove useful.

Thanks.

lee

Rob Beattie wrote:

> I have just bought an Abit IS7 and a P4 2.8GHz 800fsb.
> I intend to buy some ddr400 memory and a TI4200 8xAGP card.
> I want to overclock using stock fans and heatsinks and believe that
> 3.2GHz is very reachable. Would the following steps describe briefly
> what needs to be done to achieve my target:-

> 3. I'm even more unclear about how to oc the graphics card but does it
> involve using 3rd party software and does not need anything altering
> in the bios.
>
> Can anyone confirm that I am on the right track or add any tips that
> may prove useful.

Don't know about the P4, my XP2800+ is overclocked, but my P4 2.8
isn't ;)
For the graphics card, search for the "Cool Bits" registry hack which
opens the overclocking features built into the nVidia drivers.
Not sure if the latest drivers still support it, but you probably
wouldn't want to use them with a Ti4200 anyway.
Try the 44.03's and go from there...

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 04 May 2004 16:42:20 GMT, rob@/remove/ghosh.co.uk (Rob Beattie)
wrote:

>I have just bought an Abit IS7 and a P4 2.8GHz 800fsb.
>I intend to buy some ddr400 memory and a TI4200 8xAGP card.
>I want to overclock using stock fans and heatsinks and believe that
>3.2GHz is very reachable. Would the following steps describe briefly
>what needs to be done to achieve my target:-
>
>1. Via the bios, up the mainboard fsb to about 220-225MHz and adjust
>the cpu voltage accordingly(also via the bios?)

Yes, that's the basic procedure, but the larger part is identifying and
troubleshooting problems, not only resulting from overclock but also
because this is a new build, presumably new operating system installation,
etc. Best practice is the leave the system at stock spec, conservative
settings to establish the baseline for stability and leave it like that
for minimum of a few days of testing, THEN proceed to attempt overclock.
Perhaps that was the plan, but it seemed worth mentioning.

>2. the ddr400 runs at 200MHz so an increase of 20-25MHz would oc the
>memory as well so the memory voltage has to be increased as well. The
>timings can be changed as well but I don't understand enough to be
>able to do so confidently.

Proividing your bios is set to synchronous mode, yes that would've been @
200 MHz. If you're not comfortable adjusting timings then you might want
to do some research of it first.

>3. I'm even more unclear about how to oc the graphics card but does it
>involve using 3rd party software and does not need anything altering
>in the bios.

Yes and no. The ever-popular "coolbits" (Google search it) will enable a
clock rate settings page in the display properites, but without another
registry edit (the specifics of which escape me at the moment) or flashing
a different and/or editing bios to the card, it's top clock speed
selectable via the coolbits method is capped, it is possible to o'c a card
beyond the top speed available for selection, IIRC. Also keep in mind
that the primary difference between a TI4200 and TI4400/4600 (besides the
higher-spec'd memory chips) is a more robust onboard power supply
circuitry, that you may want to take extra measures to keep card cool and
expect shorter lifespan if overclocking the card too much... those cards
can be overclocked past TI4600 levels in best-case scenarios and be
stable, but they might not last as long at post-Ti4600 speeds as a TI4600
would... has to be considered on a case-by-case basis.

>Can anyone confirm that I am on the right track or add any tips that
>may prove useful.

Changing bios settings is the easy part, the majority of the time is
spend testing/confirming stability of the overclock. That is a large
topic in itself, but very briefly you might want to test with
http://www.memtest86.com for several hours, even days, before even
allowing the system to boot to the operating system in an overclocked
state. Prime95 torture test is a good way to test CPU, again running it
for several hours to days, which will also give you a good idea of the
temp increase seen running at nearer full load in the o'c state.

Stacey

Rob Beattie wrote:

> I have just bought an Abit IS7 and a P4 2.8GHz 800fsb.
> I intend to buy some ddr400 memory and a TI4200 8xAGP card.
> I want to overclock using stock fans and heatsinks and believe that
> 3.2GHz is very reachable. Would the following steps describe briefly
> what needs to be done to achieve my target:-
>
> 1. Via the bios, up the mainboard fsb to about 220-225MHz and adjust
> the cpu voltage accordingly(also via the bios?)

Don't turn up voltage unless you have stability issues. It just make a BUNCH
more heat which you'll have to also deal with.

> 2. the ddr400 runs at 200MHz so an increase of 20-25MHz would oc the
> memory as well so the memory voltage has to be increased as well. The
> timings can be changed as well but I don't understand enough to be
> able to do so confidently.

See above. You should be able to get 3.2 without doing anything drastic.

> 3. I'm even more unclear about how to oc the graphics card but does it
> involve using 3rd party software and does not need anything altering
> in the bios.

Be careful Oclokcing a Ti4200. I burned up the ram on mine where it wouldn't
run 3D anymore and didn't have it turned up past Ti4400 specs.. :-(

--

Stacey

Beattie) wrote:

>I have just bought an Abit IS7 and a P4 2.8GHz 800fsb.
>I intend to buy some ddr400 memory and a TI4200 8xAGP card.
>I want to overclock using stock fans and heatsinks and believe that
>3.2GHz is very reachable. Would the following steps describe briefly
>what needs to be done to achieve my target:-

by your own admission and definition, you are a complete newbie to
such issues, you have absolutely zero experience, and yet YOU believe
a 400 mhz overclock is achievable, while clearly lacking even the
basic understanding of the implications of overclocking or indeed any
performance gains to be had, you haven't even bothered to read the
motherboard specifications or discover what the abit overclocking on
the fly utility is, how it works, what it does etc.

My advice is leave well enough alone, run it at stock and content
yourself with a fast and stable system, you won't notice the speed
difference anyway in ANYTHING except some leet fanboy benchmarking
util that has zero reference to real world computing.

you'll save yourself a bunch of money, time and heartache if you
follow my advice.

gb

"Guy Fawkes" <davenull@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> you'll save yourself a bunch of money, time and heartache if you
> follow my advice.

You know perfectly well that he won't though.