Will changing CPU or mobo mess up XP installation

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running Windows
XP Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of
RAM. I would like to speed this machine up without having to
re-install Windows. I am thinking about upgrading CPU or CPU and
motherboard but I'm wondering what effect it will have on my Windows
XP installation? Will my installation still run?

If I upgrade I'm planning to stay with the 32 bit AMD platform.
Probably Athlon 2800+ or higher with potentially Gigabyte motherboard.
I'm a little out of touch with current chipsets but maybe nForce2
chipset or higher.

Thanks,
Paul
24 answers Last reply
More about will changing mobo mess installation
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On 4 May 2004 15:21:11 -0700, truerelaxation@yahoo.com (Paul) wrote:

    >I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running Windows
    >XP Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of
    >RAM. I would like to speed this machine up without having to
    >re-install Windows. I am thinking about upgrading CPU or CPU and
    >motherboard but I'm wondering what effect it will have on my Windows
    >XP installation? Will my installation still run?
    >
    >If I upgrade I'm planning to stay with the 32 bit AMD platform.
    >Probably Athlon 2800+ or higher with potentially Gigabyte motherboard.
    > I'm a little out of touch with current chipsets but maybe nForce2
    >chipset or higher.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Paul

    The processor changeout won't be a problem unless the bios is too old
    and there isn't a current one that recognizes a 2800+. The mobo
    changeout will either require a complete OS reinstall, or, the trick I
    have used to upgrade my WinXP system through 3 different motherboard
    installs. I use a Promise Ultra100tx2 PCI IDE controller for my hard
    disks. In your case simply install it into the system before you
    remove the K7S5A but you don't connect the hard disk to it just yet.
    Let WindowsXP detect it, install drivers, etc.. Try rebooting with
    the hard drive cable moved over to the Promise controller to make sure
    it's working. If it boots OK then you can swap the motherboard and
    WinXP will boot fine and plug and play all the new hardware on the new
    motherboard. This has worked flawlessly for me each time. I get no
    problems at all (no BSOD, reboots, errors, etc...).

    MT
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    > I use a Promise Ultra100tx2 PCI IDE controller for my hard
    > disks. In your case simply install it into the system before you
    > remove the K7S5A but you don't connect the hard disk to it just yet.
    > Let WindowsXP detect it, install drivers, etc.. Try rebooting with
    > the hard drive cable moved over to the Promise controller to make sure
    > it's working. If it boots OK then you can swap the motherboard and
    > WinXP will boot fine and plug and play all the new hardware on the new
    > motherboard. This has worked flawlessly for me each time.

    MT,

    please confirm I understand what you said.
    1. install controller card
    2. have xp detect, etc.
    3. boot a few times to be sure card is installed right.
    4. connect the boot drive to the new card.
    5. xp comes up via the new controller card.
    6. boot a couple times to be sure system is stable.
    7. swap out mobo and cpu
    8. put all the old hardware in the new mobo/cpu.
    9. that's it, you will boot now from the controller card
    in the system, just like you did in the old one.

    Do I have it straight?

    Now, can you then loose the controller card
    and plug the drive into the ide channel and be
    back in business? Or do you have to forever
    work through the controller card?

    Thanks,

    Sammy
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    If you change the motherboard in an XP computer, you MUST reformat the
    harddrive and do a clean install of XP. Otherwise you can look forward to
    ongoing nasty Registry errors.

    --
    DaveW

    "Paul" <truerelaxation@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running Windows
    > XP Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of
    > RAM. I would like to speed this machine up without having to
    > re-install Windows. I am thinking about upgrading CPU or CPU and
    > motherboard but I'm wondering what effect it will have on my Windows
    > XP installation? Will my installation still run?
    >
    > If I upgrade I'm planning to stay with the 32 bit AMD platform.
    > Probably Athlon 2800+ or higher with potentially Gigabyte motherboard.
    > I'm a little out of touch with current chipsets but maybe nForce2
    > chipset or higher.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    I agree, processor change is fine, but going on the mobo part, you are
    looking at big time trouble. And will end up formating anyway later. :)

    Save yourself the trouble, and start fresh install

    Mike

    "DaveW" <none@zero.org> a écrit dans le message de
    > If you change the motherboard in an XP computer, you MUST reformat the
    > harddrive and do a clean install of XP. Otherwise you can look forward to
    > ongoing nasty Registry errors.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "Paul" <truerelaxation@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running Windows
    > > XP Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of
    > > RAM. I would like to speed this machine up without having to
    > > re-install Windows. I am thinking about upgrading CPU or CPU and
    > > motherboard but I'm wondering what effect it will have on my Windows
    > > XP installation? Will my installation still run?
    > >
    > > If I upgrade I'm planning to stay with the 32 bit AMD platform.
    > > Probably Athlon 2800+ or higher with potentially Gigabyte motherboard.
    > > I'm a little out of touch with current chipsets but maybe nForce2
    > > chipset or higher.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Paul

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    > If you change the motherboard in an XP computer, you MUST reformat the
    > harddrive and do a clean install of XP. Otherwise you can look forward to
    > ongoing nasty Registry errors.

    Nonsense. You can do a repair install. See, for example:
    Just be sure to do the repair install *before* you try to
    boot your new system. I've done it several times and
    have never had a problem.

    -- Bob Day
    Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software at
    http://bobday.vze.com, bottom of page.

    > "Paul" <truerelaxation@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running Windows
    > > XP Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of
    > > RAM. I would like to speed this machine up without having to
    > > re-install Windows. I am thinking about upgrading CPU or CPU and
    > > motherboard but I'm wondering what effect it will have on my Windows
    > > XP installation? Will my installation still run?
    > >
    > > If I upgrade I'm planning to stay with the 32 bit AMD platform.
    > > Probably Athlon 2800+ or higher with potentially Gigabyte motherboard.
    > > I'm a little out of touch with current chipsets but maybe nForce2
    > > chipset or higher.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Paul

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    "Bob Day" <xxxxxxx@yyyyyyy.com> wrote in message

    > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    > > If you change the motherboard in an XP computer, you MUST reformat the
    > > harddrive and do a clean install of XP. Otherwise you can look forward
    > > ongoing nasty Registry errors.
    >
    > Nonsense. You can do a repair install. See, for example:
    > Just be sure to do the repair install *before* you try to
    > boot your new system. I've done it several times and
    > have never had a problem.
    >
    > -- Bob Day

    What he said. Also, you'll probably have to call and get a new key. It's
    painless. Just tell them that it was a hardware upgrade.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    repair install BEFORE you boot into windows after the mainboard
    change. You will most likely need a call into MS as the mainboard is a
    major component.

    "Paul" <truerelaxation@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running
    Windows
    > XP Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of
    > RAM. I would like to speed this machine up without having to
    > re-install Windows. I am thinking about upgrading CPU or CPU and
    > motherboard but I'm wondering what effect it will have on my Windows
    > XP installation? Will my installation still run?
    >
    > If I upgrade I'm planning to stay with the 32 bit AMD platform.
    > Probably Athlon 2800+ or higher with potentially Gigabyte
    motherboard.
    > I'm a little out of touch with current chipsets but maybe nForce2
    > chipset or higher.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Tue, 4 May 2004 19:06:22 -0400, "Mike" <dump@thisplace.com> wrote:

    >I agree, processor change is fine, but going on the mobo part, you are
    >looking at big time trouble. And will end up formating anyway later. :)
    >
    >Save yourself the trouble, and start fresh install
    >
    >Mike

    "Big time trouble" is relative. As always, you either put in the time and
    learn how to do it or give up and do the clean install. Which method is
    better can depend on the user's motivation and the overall state of the OS
    without even considering the motherboard swap... if it were loaded with
    spyware, viri, bloated with unused files, etc, the clean install might be
    easiest method of *fixing* regardless of whether a motherboard is being
    swapped or not.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Paul wrote:
    > I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running Windows
    > XP Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of
    > RAM. I would like to speed this machine up without having to
    > re-install Windows. I am thinking about upgrading CPU or CPU and
    > motherboard but I'm wondering what effect it will have on my Windows
    > XP installation? Will my installation still run?

    Would be okay changing the processor, but I've had nothing but bad
    experiences when the motherboard is changed as well. I always end up
    reinstalling Windows.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Bob Day wrote:
    > Nonsense. You can do a repair install. See, for example:
    > Just be sure to do the repair install *before* you try to
    > boot your new system. I've done it several times and
    > have never had a problem.

    Agreed. I prefer a clean install when possible, but a repair install, as
    detailed on the Michael Stevens site, does work.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    S.Heenan wrote:
    > Bob Day wrote:
    >> Nonsense. You can do a repair install. See, for example:
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >> Just be sure to do the repair install *before* you try to
    >> boot your new system. I've done it several times and
    >> have never had a problem.
    >

    > Agreed. I prefer a clean install when possible, but a repair install,
    > as detailed on the Michael Stevens site, does work.

    Yes it does, and very well. I have changed motherboards 3 times since
    originally getting XP, I reformatted one time, the other two I used the
    repair install, and it worked great. Key is, to do it immediately, do not
    let the system boot into windows after the mb swap. Boot from the XP cd,
    and do the repair install immediately.

    --
    Don Burnette
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    "Paul" <truerelaxation@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    " I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running Windows XP
    Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of RAM. I
    would like to speed this machine up without having to re-install Windows. "

    Speed the machine up in what way? What do you use it for? If you listed
    your entire system, explaining what you use it for, then people could help
    you a lot better.

    Upgrading the motherboard and CPU could well give you problems that may, at
    the very least, need a repair-installation of XP. Even that could give you
    problems down the line which would need a full re-installation of XP.

    You could upgrade your K7S5A with a 266FSB Athlon XP 2600+, assuming that
    your 1GB of RAM is already at least PC2100 to suit a 266FSB CPU. The
    K7S5A's AGP4x can still get 98% of full performance from any AGP8x card.

    It's highly recommended to replace the chipset heatsink, as all K7S5A models
    suffer from poor heat-transfer through the thermal pad (which acts more like
    an insulator). Buy some thermal adhesive, and either put the original
    heatsink back on, or use a slightly larger heatsink. I used an old socket 7
    CPU heatsink, and the occasional game stuttering disappeared once I did
    that.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On 4 May 2004 15:21:11 -0700, truerelaxation@yahoo.com (Paul) wrote:

    | I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running Windows
    | XP Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of
    | RAM. I would like to speed this machine up without having to
    | re-install Windows. I am thinking about upgrading CPU or CPU and
    | motherboard but I'm wondering what effect it will have on my Windows
    | XP installation? Will my installation still run?

    In spite of claims that a repair install of XP will work when a
    motherboard is changed, it has failed miserably in the six or so times
    I've tried it. It seemed to work last time, but one severe problem
    after another kept popping up over the next few weeks. I finally had
    no choice except to resort to a clean install.

    Not only do new drivers and settings have to be put in place with a
    new motherboard, many OLD ones have to be removed or they'll cause
    problems. In my experience, a repair install often fails to remove
    things it should.

    Try a repair install if you decide on a new motherboard. By some
    magic stroke, it just might work for you. But have all your
    irreplaceable data backed up first and be ready for — I'm tempted to
    say EXPECT — a clean install.

    Larc

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Tue, 04 May 2004 23:23:52 GMT, "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote:

    >You will most likely need a call into MS as the mainboard is a
    >major component.

    Depends on how long it has been since he last installed the OS. If
    more than 120 days the automatic online registration will do fine. If
    less expect to talk to someone.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Tue, 4 May 2004 22:34:09 -0400, "~A_Sammy" <bogus@nowhere.net>
    wrote:

    >> I use a Promise Ultra100tx2 PCI IDE controller for my hard
    >> disks. In your case simply install it into the system before you
    >> remove the K7S5A but you don't connect the hard disk to it just yet.
    >> Let WindowsXP detect it, install drivers, etc.. Try rebooting with
    >> the hard drive cable moved over to the Promise controller to make sure
    >> it's working. If it boots OK then you can swap the motherboard and
    >> WinXP will boot fine and plug and play all the new hardware on the new
    >> motherboard. This has worked flawlessly for me each time.
    >

    >MT,
    >
    >please confirm I understand what you said.
    >1. install controller card
    >2. have xp detect, etc.
    >3. boot a few times to be sure card is installed right.
    >4. connect the boot drive to the new card.
    >5. xp comes up via the new controller card.
    >6. boot a couple times to be sure system is stable.
    >7. swap out mobo and cpu
    >8. put all the old hardware in the new mobo/cpu.
    >9. that's it, you will boot now from the controller card
    >in the system, just like you did in the old one.
    >
    >Do I have it straight?
    >
    >Now, can you then loose the controller card
    >and plug the drive into the ide channel and be
    >back in business? Or do you have to forever
    >work through the controller card?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Sammy

    May have already been answered but yes all is correct. Once XP has
    detected the new motherboard controller you can pull the PCI
    controller if you wish and use it instead.

    MT
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    that's assuming if he will have internet access with his new system.

    "Jim" <chief_jim@go.nospam.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 04 May 2004 23:23:52 GMT, "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net>
    wrote:

    > >You will most likely need a call into MS as the mainboard is a
    > >major component.
    > >

    > Depends on how long it has been since he last installed the OS. If
    > more than 120 days the automatic online registration will do fine.
    If
    > less expect to talk to someone.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
    : that's assuming if he will have internet access with his new system.
    :
    :

    That's not a very strange assumption, is it? He has access to the net now.
    In what way will changing your mobo inhibit your existing access to the net?

    That's assuming his computer is still a computer with his new system.
    That's assuming he still will be able to type with his new system.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On 4 May 2004 15:21:11 -0700, truerelaxation@yahoo.com (Paul) wrote:

    >I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running Windows
    >XP Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of
    >RAM. I would like to speed this machine up without having to
    >re-install Windows. I am thinking about upgrading CPU or CPU and
    >motherboard but I'm wondering what effect it will have on my Windows
    >XP installation? Will my installation still run?
    >
    >If I upgrade I'm planning to stay with the 32 bit AMD platform.
    >Probably Athlon 2800+ or higher with potentially Gigabyte motherboard.
    > I'm a little out of touch with current chipsets but maybe nForce2
    >chipset or higher.

    No problem. I've done this dozens of times, and a "repair" installation of
    XP brings everything right back. Nothing is lost, not even your icon layout.
    Back up your photographs, music, and documents, and do the upgrade without
    fear.

    Bob

    Remove "kins" to reply by e-mail.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Well just as I sit here with 3 systems this is the ONLY one that has
    internet access.

    "John Donson" <harigejan@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
    > : that's assuming if he will have internet access with his new
    system.
    > :
    > :
    >
    > That's not a very strange assumption, is it? He has access to the
    net now.
    > In what way will changing your mobo inhibit your existing access to
    the net?

    > That's assuming his computer is still a computer with his new
    system.
    > That's assuming he still will be able to type with his new system.

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    : Well just as I sit here with 3 systems this is the ONLY one that has
    : internet access.
    :

    Tres cool.

    You are saying that most people have more than one pc of which only one has
    acces to the net?
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Yes and yes!

    >I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running Windows
    >XP Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of
    >RAM. I would like to speed this machine up without having to
    >re-install Windows. I am thinking about upgrading CPU or CPU and
    >motherboard but I'm wondering what effect it will have on my Windows
    >XP installation? Will my installation still run?
    >
    >If I upgrade I'm planning to stay with the 32 bit AMD platform.
    >Probably Athlon 2800+ or higher with potentially Gigabyte motherboard.
    > I'm a little out of touch with current chipsets but maybe nForce2
    >chipset or higher.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Paul
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    NO and Yes. You can upgrade the CPU no problem, but usually not the mobo.

    "Charles" <LastBoyScout@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
    > Yes and yes!
    >

    > >I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running Windows
    > >XP Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of
    > >RAM. I would like to speed this machine up without having to
    > >re-install Windows. I am thinking about upgrading CPU or CPU and
    > >motherboard but I'm wondering what effect it will have on my Windows
    > >XP installation? Will my installation still run?
    > >
    > >If I upgrade I'm planning to stay with the 32 bit AMD platform.
    > >Probably Athlon 2800+ or higher with potentially Gigabyte motherboard.
    > > I'm a little out of touch with current chipsets but maybe nForce2
    > >chipset or higher.
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >Paul

  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 08:42:45 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:

    >NO and Yes. You can upgrade the CPU no problem, but usually not the mobo.

    Depend if it is OEM or not. If it is not, you should have no trouble
    changing the Mobo, if it is there may be trouble.

    >"Charles" <LastBoyScout@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
    >> Yes and yes!
    >>

    >> >I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7S5A motherboard running Windows
    >> >XP Pro. The K7S5A has the SiS 735 chipset. It is maxed at 1GB of
    >> >RAM. I would like to speed this machine up without having to
    >> >re-install Windows. I am thinking about upgrading CPU or CPU and
    >> >motherboard but I'm wondering what effect it will have on my Windows
    >> >XP installation? Will my installation still run?
    >> >
    >> >If I upgrade I'm planning to stay with the 32 bit AMD platform.
    >> >Probably Athlon 2800+ or higher with potentially Gigabyte motherboard.
    >> > I'm a little out of touch with current chipsets but maybe nForce2
    >> >chipset or higher.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks,
    >> >Paul

  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    most? just thought that he may possibly be a person that
    does....never said 'most' that's your exaggeration...and besides
    this was Jim's first 'assumption' which now you add exaggeration on a
    point that is MOOT.

    > "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
    > : Well just as I sit here with 3 systems this is the ONLY one that
    has
    > : internet access.
    > :
    >
    > Tres cool.
    >
    > You are saying that most people have more than one pc of which only
    one has
    > acces to the net?

Homebuilt Hardware Motherboards CPUs Windows XP Systems