msn messenger

Hi

I am trying to send files via msn messenger to a mate, but it fails when i
send.
If i turn off the firewall i can recieve from him.
Using Win xp pro, and latest msn messenger, NAV2004.
Any ideas?
Am on a n/w pc, via a netgear switch to another pc that has the modem and
internet connection.

Ta In Advance

Matt

Your friend will also need to turn off his firewall or configure the ports.

To enable file transfers, enable both incoming and outgoing TCP connections
to the 6891-6900 range of TCP ports. This allows each sender to perform up
to 10 simultaneous file transfers. Note that if only TCP port 6891 is open,
users are only able to perform one file transfer at a time.

--

Snøøp¥ (Gid Auld Fife)

Cut ¬THE CR@P¬ To Reply

Checked by McAfee anti-virus system www.mcafee.com
Version: 7.03.6000 Scan Engine 4.3.20
Virus Database: 4357 - Release Date: 04/05/2004.

"Matt Newman" <matt@slippeddisknospamplease.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am trying to send files via msn messenger to a mate, but it fails when i
> send.
> If i turn off the firewall i can recieve from him.
> Using Win xp pro, and latest msn messenger, NAV2004.
> Any ideas?
> Am on a n/w pc, via a netgear switch to another pc that has the modem and
> internet connection.
>
> Ta In Advance
>
> Matt

matty

Thank-you. I found similar when I was searching post posting the message.
Now I have to ask is how to enable those ports in the XP firewall??

Matt

"Snøøp¥" <snoopy2004¬THE@CR@P¬blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Your friend will also need to turn off his firewall or configure the
ports.

> To enable file transfers, enable both incoming and outgoing TCP
connections
> to the 6891-6900 range of TCP ports. This allows each sender to perform up
> to 10 simultaneous file transfers. Note that if only TCP port 6891 is
open,
> users are only able to perform one file transfer at a time.
>

> --
>

> Snøøp¥ (Gid Auld Fife)
>
> Cut ¬THE CR@P¬ To Reply

> Checked by McAfee anti-virus system www.mcafee.com
> Version: 7.03.6000 Scan Engine 4.3.20
> Virus Database: 4357 - Release Date: 04/05/2004.
>

> "Matt Newman" <matt@slippeddisknospamplease.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to send files via msn messenger to a mate, but it fails when
> > send.
> > If i turn off the firewall i can recieve from him.
> > Using Win xp pro, and latest msn messenger, NAV2004.
> > Any ideas?
> > Am on a n/w pc, via a netgear switch to another pc that has the modem
and
> > internet connection.
> >
> > Ta In Advance
> >
> > Matt

On Thu, 6 May 2004 14:55:46 +0100, "Matt Newman"
<matt@slippeddisknospamplease.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am trying to send files via msn messenger to a mate, but it fails when i
>send.
>If i turn off the firewall i can recieve from him.
>Using Win xp pro, and latest msn messenger, NAV2004.
>Any ideas?
>Am on a n/w pc, via a netgear switch to another pc that has the modem and
>internet connection.
>
>Ta In Advance
>
>Matt

Set up a personal FTP server on your PC, then open port 21 to allow it
to communicate in/out..