Broadband Set up

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2004 12:35:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

Hi All

I am just about to subscribe to broadband through
www.e7even.com
on their biennial 1Mb package (at £640.00 for the 2 years).
They are offering a 1 port Professional Modem - Origo ASR-8100 which
can be viewed here:
https://www.e7even.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?sessioni...
free as part of the package.
I already own a planet dh-2400 network hub, and have the house wired to the
main rooms for wired network.
Will this modem/router be suitable, plugged into the hub to give multi use
access to the internet?
Also, I have no use for wireless just yet, but if I did in the future, could
I purchase something to add to the hub and to the pc/laptop that i require
wireless for?

Hope you all understand. I just want to make sure this kit will work as I
want before I purchase.My other alternative I have seen was a Belkin
all-in-one box from Dabs at £75.00ish.

Manty thanks in advance

Matt

More about : broadband set

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2004 12:35:12 AM

"Matt Newman" <matt@slippeddisknospamplease.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I am just about to subscribe to broadband through
> www.e7even.com
> on their biennial 1Mb package (at £640.00 for the 2 years).
> They are offering a 1 port Professional Modem - Origo ASR-8100
which
> can be viewed here:

https://www.e7even.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?sessioni...
> free as part of the package.
> I already own a planet dh-2400 network hub, and have the house wired to
the
> main rooms for wired network.
> Will this modem/router be suitable, plugged into the hub to give multi use
> access to the internet?
> Also, I have no use for wireless just yet, but if I did in the future,
could
> I purchase something to add to the hub and to the pc/laptop that i require
> wireless for?

OK, a hub is a passive component. IF your DSL works through it, you would
only be able to use one computer at a time on your DSL connection. What you
want is a broadband sharing router with 802.11g wireless capability and
802.11b backward compatibility. One such product is linked to below. For
each laptop, you would want to buy a 802.11b or 802.11g access card for it,
also. (2nd link) Note that I linked to these products as an example only,
I'm not sure if they are available in the UK or even if they'd work in the
UK. But you should be able to find similar products quite easily.
Depending on how many computers you want to use, you might not need the hub
at all. For example, most routers have at least 3 wired ports and
capability to handle several wireless access cards as well. So unless
you've got more than ~7 computers in your house, the hub would probably be
redundant. :)  But you could use the hub with the router to add more wired
connections, if necessary. -Dave

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID...
http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID...
May 9, 2004 2:17:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

forget the hub, get a wireless router, wireless routers can be wired and
wireless so in the future you want to
go wireless you are set
"Matt Newman" <matt@slippeddisknospamplease.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I am just about to subscribe to broadband through
> www.e7even.com
> on their biennial 1Mb package (at £640.00 for the 2 years).
> They are offering a 1 port Professional Modem - Origo ASR-8100
which
> can be viewed here:

https://www.e7even.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?sessioni...
> free as part of the package.
> I already own a planet dh-2400 network hub, and have the house wired to
the
> main rooms for wired network.
> Will this modem/router be suitable, plugged into the hub to give multi use
> access to the internet?
> Also, I have no use for wireless just yet, but if I did in the future,
could
> I purchase something to add to the hub and to the pc/laptop that i require
> wireless for?
>
> Hope you all understand. I just want to make sure this kit will work as I
> want before I purchase.My other alternative I have seen was a Belkin
> all-in-one box from Dabs at £75.00ish.
>

> Manty thanks in advance
>
> Matt

Related resources
May 9, 2004 2:50:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

1. Yes, the cable modem should work
2. You should get a router: cable modem hooked to cable, router hooked to
cable modem, and ethernet coming out of cable modem to hub, computers, etc.
This is in my opinion a requirement for broadband security -- preferably
look for a router/firewall. I run a small computer service business, and
this is the cause of most home user's problems -- lack of minimal home
security measures.
3. You can get an "access point" for wireless. Plug it into either the
router or hub (whichever is more central in your home). Then if/when you
get a laptop or wireless NIC, you can pursue the configuration of the
wireless network.

"Matt Newman" <matt@slippeddisknospamplease.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I am just about to subscribe to broadband through
> www.e7even.com
> on their biennial 1Mb package (at £640.00 for the 2 years).
> They are offering a 1 port Professional Modem - Origo ASR-8100
which
> can be viewed here:

https://www.e7even.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?sessioni...
> free as part of the package.
> I already own a planet dh-2400 network hub, and have the house wired to
the
> main rooms for wired network.
> Will this modem/router be suitable, plugged into the hub to give multi use
> access to the internet?
> Also, I have no use for wireless just yet, but if I did in the future,
could
> I purchase something to add to the hub and to the pc/laptop that i require
> wireless for?
>
> Hope you all understand. I just want to make sure this kit will work as I
> want before I purchase.My other alternative I have seen was a Belkin
> all-in-one box from Dabs at £75.00ish.
>

> Manty thanks in advance
>
> Matt

May 9, 2004 7:46:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

It sounds like you might know what you are talking about. The second
item (laptop card), doesn't say it can be used on WindowsXP. Do you
know why it would be usable with all the other windows os's and not
XP?

Thanks.

On Sat, 8 May 2004 16:19:14 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

> OK, a hub is a passive component. IF your DSL works through it, you would
> only be able to use one computer at a time on your DSL connection. What you
> want is a broadband sharing router with 802.11g wireless capability and
> 802.11b backward compatibility. One such product is linked to below. For
> each laptop, you would want to buy a 802.11b or 802.11g access card for it,
> also. (2nd link) Note that I linked to these products as an example only,
> I'm not sure if they are available in the UK or even if they'd work in the
> UK. But you should be able to find similar products quite easily.
> Depending on how many computers you want to use, you might not need the hub
> at all. For example, most routers have at least 3 wired ports and
> capability to handle several wireless access cards as well. So unless
> you've got more than ~7 computers in your house, the hub would probably be
> redundant. :)  But you could use the hub with the router to add more wired
> connections, if necessary. -Dave
>
> http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID...
> http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID...

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2004 12:12:09 PM

"newbie" <nowhere@here.org> wrote in message
> It sounds like you might know what you are talking about. The second
> item (laptop card), doesn't say it can be used on WindowsXP. Do you
> know why it would be usable with all the other windows os's and not
> XP?
>
> Thanks.
>
> > http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID...

Oh, I see what you mean. In the specs, they list every OS except XP. Not
to worry. If you go to the link below, it specifically says it was designed
for Windows XP (in the logo off to the side). It would seem that it's
backward compatible with every other Windows OS, also. :)  And if you go to
the second link, they have a ton of drivers including XP certified drivers
and red hat linux drivers! So it looks like that one should work on just
about any laptop with a Type II PCMCIA slot, regardless of OS. -Dave

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MA401.php?view=
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products_automatic/MA401.as...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2004 1:41:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

WARNING

Be very careful which Router Wireless or other that you purchase.

I guess you will be connecting via a BT phone line.

In this case you need an ADSL modem/Router that can handle PPPoA

Many sold via PC World and via the online shops are aimed at Cable (NTL,
Telewest) customers and will not work with a BT line. The cheapest wired
ADSL router I am aware of is from DABS at about £30 quid (DABS value
connexant 1 port router) this would plug into your current router and work
fine, but the setup may be a little more tricky than normal.

To replace your current router with wireless then I think you will be
looking close to £100 depending on features.

the_gnome

"MtM" <mtm@home.com> wrote in message
> 1. Yes, the cable modem should work
> 2. You should get a router: cable modem hooked to cable, router hooked
> cable modem, and ethernet coming out of cable modem to hub, computers,
etc.
> This is in my opinion a requirement for broadband security -- preferably
> look for a router/firewall. I run a small computer service business, and
> this is the cause of most home user's problems -- lack of minimal home
> security measures.
> 3. You can get an "access point" for wireless. Plug it into either the
> router or hub (whichever is more central in your home). Then if/when you
> get a laptop or wireless NIC, you can pursue the configuration of the
> wireless network.
>
> "Matt Newman" <matt@slippeddisknospamplease.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi All
> >
> > I am just about to subscribe to broadband through
> > www.e7even.com
> > on their biennial 1Mb package (at £640.00 for the 2 years).
> > They are offering a 1 port Professional Modem - Origo ASR-8100
> which
> > can be viewed here:

https://www.e7even.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?sessioni...
> > free as part of the package.
> > I already own a planet dh-2400 network hub, and have the house wired to
> the
> > main rooms for wired network.
> > Will this modem/router be suitable, plugged into the hub to give multi
use
> > access to the internet?
> > Also, I have no use for wireless just yet, but if I did in the future,
> could
> > I purchase something to add to the hub and to the pc/laptop that i
require
> > wireless for?
> >
> > Hope you all understand. I just want to make sure this kit will work as
> > want before I purchase.My other alternative I have seen was a Belkin
> > all-in-one box from Dabs at £75.00ish.
> >

> > Manty thanks in advance
> >
> > Matt

May 9, 2004 4:04:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

Dave,

He owns a hub, why trash it? I have my firewall router in one room
connected to my modem, a switch in another (serving two computers), and a
hub in the living room (serving a computer and a wireless access point),
giving me much more upgrade and network configuration options.

You are right about the hub, he might not have realized it offers no
firewall protection at all, since he called it a router in his first
posting.

He isn't ready to go wireless yet, so I think the firewall router is the
most important purchase and the only one needed at this point, for
protection and easy networking of other computers. But, even with ONE
computer, it should be installed for the protection features alone.

And he will be happy with 802.11b, in my opinion, unless he plans on moving
large files all the time, but 802.11g is the future...

mtm

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Matt Newman" <matt@slippeddisknospamplease.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi All
> >
> > I am just about to subscribe to broadband through
> > www.e7even.com
> > on their biennial 1Mb package (at £640.00 for the 2 years).
> > They are offering a 1 port Professional Modem - Origo ASR-8100
> which
> > can be viewed here:

https://www.e7even.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?sessioni...
> > free as part of the package.
> > I already own a planet dh-2400 network hub, and have the house wired to
> the
> > main rooms for wired network.
> > Will this modem/router be suitable, plugged into the hub to give multi
use
> > access to the internet?
> > Also, I have no use for wireless just yet, but if I did in the future,
> could
> > I purchase something to add to the hub and to the pc/laptop that i
require
> > wireless for?
>
> OK, a hub is a passive component. IF your DSL works through it, you would
> only be able to use one computer at a time on your DSL connection. What
you
> want is a broadband sharing router with 802.11g wireless capability and
> 802.11b backward compatibility. One such product is linked to below. For
> each laptop, you would want to buy a 802.11b or 802.11g access card for
it,
> also. (2nd link) Note that I linked to these products as an example
only,
> I'm not sure if they are available in the UK or even if they'd work in the
> UK. But you should be able to find similar products quite easily.
> Depending on how many computers you want to use, you might not need the
hub
> at all. For example, most routers have at least 3 wired ports and
> capability to handle several wireless access cards as well. So unless
> you've got more than ~7 computers in your house, the hub would probably be
> redundant. :)  But you could use the hub with the router to add more
wired
> connections, if necessary. -Dave
>
> http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID...
> http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID...

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 10, 2004 9:33:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

I believe you are right. The Professional Modem - Origo ASR-8100 should
take care of routing the IP packets. There is a note here
(http://lists.virus.org/bugtraq-0310/msg00198.html) about being attacked
remotely with a (reset to factory default.) You might check with your cable
company about this. But to get back to your question. You should be able
to just connect the modem to your hub and share the internet. There are
issues with firewall protection and virus protection. Do a lot of home work
and check it out.

Aloha,
Richard

"Matt Newman" <matt@slippeddisknospamplease.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I am just about to subscribe to broadband through
> www.e7even.com
> on their biennial 1Mb package (at 640.00 for the 2 years).
> They are offering a 1 port Professional Modem - Origo ASR-8100
which
> can be viewed here:

https://www.e7even.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?sessioni...
> free as part of the package.
> I already own a planet dh-2400 network hub, and have the house wired to
the
> main rooms for wired network.
> Will this modem/router be suitable, plugged into the hub to give multi use
> access to the internet?
> Also, I have no use for wireless just yet, but if I did in the future,
could
> I purchase something to add to the hub and to the pc/laptop that i require
> wireless for?
>
> Hope you all understand. I just want to make sure this kit will work as I
> want before I purchase.My other alternative I have seen was a Belkin
> all-in-one box from Dabs at 75.00ish.
>

> Manty thanks in advance
>
> Matt

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 12, 2004 8:58:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

"Matt Newman" <matt@slippeddisknospamplease.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I am just about to subscribe to broadband through
> www.e7even.com
> on their biennial 1Mb package (at £640.00 for the 2 years).

It must be a good deal to pay so much so far in advance? Won't prices come
down? What happens if they go bust?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2004 5:42:45 AM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:58:46 GMT, "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be>
wrote:

>"Matt Newman" <matt@slippeddisknospamplease.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi All
>>
>> I am just about to subscribe to broadband through
>> www.e7even.com
>> on their biennial 1Mb package (at £640.00 for the 2 years).
>
>It must be a good deal to pay so much so far in advance? Won't prices come
>down?

BWAAHAHAHHHA! We found the missing optimist ;-)

>What happens if they go bust?

They'll get swallowed by a bigger fish, who likely has to honor the contract?

/daytripper
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2004 6:09:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

I dont know anything about this modem, but my "cheapo" zyxtel 645 has a
router / firewall built in. My understanding though is most modems are just
bridges instead.

just my $0.02

- Mike

> [...]
For
> > each laptop, you would want to buy a 802.11b or 802.11g access card for
> it,
> > also. (2nd link) Note that I linked to these products as an example
> only,
> > I'm not sure if they are available in the UK or even if they'd work in
the
> > UK. But you should be able to find similar products quite easily.
> > Depending on how many computers you want to use, you might not need the
> hub
> > at all. For example, most routers have at least 3 wired ports and
> > capability to handle several wireless access cards as well. So unless
> > you've got more than ~7 computers in your house, the hub would probably
be
> > redundant. :)  But you could use the hub with the router to add more

---
a b B Homebuilt system
June 2, 2004 11:59:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

Hi Matt

I have broadband set up on one system, but use it on all three computers I
have on my home network. I use ICS and it works just fine.

Bob

!