Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 freezes on boot

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
February 22, 2011 10:16:44 PM

Hello I have asked this question before but I relocated my question here. I recently built a new computer. i5 quad core, Ga-p55 mobo, 8 gigs of ram- ddr3 1600 corsair, nvidia 460gtx se. When i start my computer up it freezes on the Windows Logo. I tested my ram, for 8 or so tests, no problems. I used 2 different hard drives and the problem happens on both of them. One of them is 500gig which i know works, the other was 750gig. when windows does load it takes about a minute or 2, with no other programs on it. Any help would be appreciated thank you.
My windows is x64 ultimate.

Oh in addition, I did install Battlefield Bad Company 2 and played it for an hour or so, no lag no problems. Its only when i boot my system it will freeze

More about : windows freezes boot

a c 253 $ Windows 7
February 23, 2011 5:10:13 PM

Did the system ever boot properly, or has it done this since you built it? Also, what make/model of power supply are you using?

Also, does your mobo have integrated video? If so, and you remove the GPU (video card), will it boot?

Last, if the above answer is no (to the integrated video), do you have access to another GPU to see if the system will boot with the alternate GPU?
m
l
February 24, 2011 3:22:39 AM

Yes it booted fine 4 or 5 times no problems at all. I was able to play a high end game perfectly with no problems. Windows did do an update and then it always froze on boot up.

I dont think my mobo has integrated video but i can try another graphic card. after i updated the video driver it booted fine

My PSU is a corsair 750w, seems to work fine
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2011 12:39:57 PM

This might have been caused by a windows update as you mention.

I would try and do a system restore to a date just before the update was downloaded to see if the problem persists.

Also its worth mentioning that after windows updates the system might sometimes seem unresponsive or doing nothing when in fact it is has been doing some work in the background so I would recommend waiting 5 or even 10 minutes or even more to boot or shutdown after windows updates before forcing shutdown to allow proper application of updates.
m
l
a c 253 $ Windows 7
February 24, 2011 12:43:17 PM

noble said:
This might have been caused by a windows update as you mention.

I would try and do a system restore to a date just before the update was downloaded to see if the problem persists.

Also its worth mentioning that after windows updates the system might sometimes seem unresponsive or doing nothing when in fact it is has been doing some work in the background so I would recommend waiting 5 or even 10 minutes or even more to boot or shutdown after windows updates before forcing shutdown to allow proper application of updates.

SP1 for Windows 7 just came out. Might be a good idea to install it, if not already installed, to clean up any possible dorked up update installs. Definitely won't hurt anything, but does take about an hour to install on a typical system.
m
l
February 24, 2011 12:50:29 PM

Good idea as well :) 
m
l
!