Software to make backup of my movie DVDs?

I have Nero and Alcohol 120%. I tried to make a backup of one of my DVD
movies, to a DVD+R disk. Both programs gave an error message saying that
the media is copyrighted, is using CSS protection, and the software is not
capable of successfully copying/dumping this format. I thought Nero and
Alcohol had the ability to bypass copy protection schemes? Of course, I am
only trying to make backups of my private DVD movie collection, not to make
multiple copies or sell them. I just don't want to have to go pay another
$25.00 if the disk gets scratched.
4 answers Last reply
More about software make backup movie dvds

    Suggested reading for your issue

    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/darktips/story/0,24330,3605537,00.html

    Jim Caldwell wrote:
    > I have Nero and Alcohol 120%. I tried to make a backup of one of my DVD
    > movies, to a DVD+R disk. Both programs gave an error message saying that
    > the media is copyrighted, is using CSS protection, and the software is not
    > capable of successfully copying/dumping this format. I thought Nero and
    > Alcohol had the ability to bypass copy protection schemes? Of course, I am
    > only trying to make backups of my private DVD movie collection, not to make
    > multiple copies or sell them. I just don't want to have to go pay another
    > $25.00 if the disk gets scratched.

    Get a copy of DVD Shrink. It's top rated, easy to use, and free.
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/
    Here's a good tutorial.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup

    tomcas wrote:
    > Jim Caldwell wrote:
    >
    >> I have Nero and Alcohol 120%. I tried to make a backup of one of my DVD
    >> movies, to a DVD+R disk. Both programs gave an error message saying that
    >> the media is copyrighted, is using CSS protection, and the software is
    >> not
    >> capable of successfully copying/dumping this format. I thought Nero and
    >> Alcohol had the ability to bypass copy protection schemes? Of course,
    >> I am
    >> only trying to make backups of my private DVD movie collection, not to
    >> make
    >> multiple copies or sell them. I just don't want to have to go pay another
    >> $25.00 if the disk gets scratched.
    >>

    > Get a copy of DVD Shrink. It's top rated, easy to use, and free.
    > http://www.dvdshrink.org/
    > Here's a good tutorial.
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup

    http://www.dvdshrink.info/fulldisk_basic.php
    excellent guide

    Hey chief all you need is a little program called AnyDVD. It bypasses
    all the CSS Protection stuff and I just happen to know where you can
    download it. Are you familiar with BitTorrents? I hope so. Go to
    www.suprnova.org and you can get it from there. I just downloaded it
    and it works with Nero, CloneDVD, DVD to DVD Copy and any other
    software that supports DVD burning. It's wonderful:) Let me know
    how it turns out.

Homebuilt Movies Backup Software Systems