computer advice needed (windows freezes)

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 5:20:48 AM

I have a homebuilt computer that is a couple of years old. The latest setup
is as follows:
...ooOO__--_:
AMD Athlon 1.3 GHz
FIC AZ11E :0(
300+- Mb Some DIMM RAM
ATI all-in-wonder 9200 AGP 4x/2x (not sure which)
IBM Hard-drive (not sure what model)
on board sound.
some network card (sorry)
2 CD recorders and 1 DVD rom
----------------
The problem is that Windows XP freezes. It is up to date. It always freezes
before I can get Unreal Tournament 2004 installed. Sometimes it will go all
the way to installing Direct X and then freeze. Usually it freezes on disk
3. It freezes at other times than this but so far it appears fairly random.
I don't think it is the video card because a Nvidia GeForce 2 made no
difference in the problem.

What would you suggest I do to fix this because it is very annoying.

Jeremy Wayne Egner
ROCK!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 1:35:11 PM

On Mon, 24 May 2004 01:20:48 -0500, <jeremy.egner@murraystate.edu> wrote:

>I have a homebuilt computer that is a couple of years old. The latest setup
>is as follows:
>..ooOO__--_:
>AMD Athlon 1.3 GHz
>FIC AZ11E :0(
>300+- Mb Some DIMM RAM
>ATI all-in-wonder 9200 AGP 4x/2x (not sure which)
>IBM Hard-drive (not sure what model)
>on board sound.
>some network card (sorry)
>2 CD recorders and 1 DVD rom
>----------------
>The problem is that Windows XP freezes. It is up to date. It always freezes
>before I can get Unreal Tournament 2004 installed. Sometimes it will go all
>the way to installing Direct X and then freeze. Usually it freezes on disk
>3. It freezes at other times than this but so far it appears fairly random.
>I don't think it is the video card because a Nvidia GeForce 2 made no
>difference in the problem.
>
>What would you suggest I do to fix this because it is very annoying.
>
>Jeremy Wayne Egner
>ROCK!

Does "freeze" mean EVERYTHING freezes, even no movement from cursor?
Any more info about these freezes that you can provide?

May we presume the system had worked properly without any hardware or
software changes and that it had not been moved prior to onset of problem?
How long has the problem persisted, and does the frequency seem higher
than previously, and/or any commonality beyond UT2004 install, for
example, amount of time it's been running or higher ambient temp?

To start out it might be good to confirm the basics, for example, are you
using a known adequate name-brand power supply? Have you checked voltages
and/or have ability to check those with a multimeter?

Check fans (incuding video and power supply) and motherboard for vented
capacitors.
Check temp of CPU, etc.
Check drive cables.
Run IBM HDD diagnostics.

Disconnect non-essential components and try to replicate problem.
Try running with case cover off and a fan pointed inside.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 5:52:39 PM

jeremy.egner@murraystate.edu wrote:

> I have a homebuilt computer that is a couple of years old....

You may wish to find out the specs of your rig - your audience is
expecting that. There are several free tools (which should be availabe
also thru the server of Murray State) like Everest, Sandra, and PC
Wizard 2004, willing to assist you - if in doubt, consult Dr Google
who will help you with the URLs.

Roy

--
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties
and confers no rights.

<jeremy.egner@murraystate.edu> said:

> The problem is that Windows XP freezes.

> What would you suggest I do to fix this because it is very annoying.

Check your memory.
http://www.memtest86.com/
--
McQualude
Anonymous

Thanks, removed one dimm and now it works like a charm!

"McQualude" <mcqualude@hoohoo.com> wrote in message
> <jeremy.egner@murraystate.edu> said:
>
> > The problem is that Windows XP freezes.
>
> > What would you suggest I do to fix this because it is very annoying.
>
> Check your memory.
> http://www.memtest86.com/
> --
> McQualude
June 19, 2009 7:03:11 PM

You can go to http://tomscomputeradvice.blogspot.com/ this guy is pretty good at computers. He has a new forum you can ask questions in. He doesnt have much on the site but he is available and pretty good.

Hope this helps
!