Possible Boot Sector virus: what to do?

I built a series of PC's for a friend of mine, and now two of them are
non-op. All three run from the same router (though I havent been able
to network them properly (silly me) and run XP Pro, and Norton
Antivirus. one is used by a net-savvy kid,and the other is used to
publish a magazine. both units give the same smptoms: the inability to
boot to the harddrive (and the CD-ROM) while I believe a Boot sector
virus is to blame to this I need to know the surest way to kill this
menace one and for all. Please help

Toon
2 answers Last reply
More about possible boot sector virus

    "ToonRunner" <ryosaeba@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
    > I built a series of PC's for a friend of mine, and now two of them are
    > non-op. All three run from the same router (though I havent been able
    > to network them properly (silly me) and run XP Pro, and Norton
    > Antivirus. one is used by a net-savvy kid,and the other is used to
    > publish a magazine. both units give the same smptoms: the inability to
    > boot to the harddrive (and the CD-ROM) while I believe a Boot sector
    > virus is to blame to this I need to know the surest way to kill this
    > menace one and for all. Please help
    >
    > Toon

    boot with the XP cd and from the recovery console
    isse the command: fixmbr

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:45:12 GMT, ToonRunner <ryosaeba@bellatlantic.net>
    wrote:

    >I built a series of PC's for a friend of mine, and now two of them are
    >non-op. All three run from the same router (though I havent been able
    >to network them properly (silly me) and run XP Pro, and Norton
    >Antivirus. one is used by a net-savvy kid,and the other is used to
    >publish a magazine. both units give the same smptoms: the inability to
    >boot to the harddrive (and the CD-ROM) while I believe a Boot sector
    >virus is to blame to this I need to know the surest way to kill this
    >menace one and for all. Please help
    >
    >Toon

    Unplug the hard drive, then boot from a pressed CDROM (not a CDR that
    might be subject to infection). If it still won't work it has nothing to
    do with a boot sector virus, but you shouldn't even have to unplug the HDD
    to confirm this, simply selecting to boot from CDROM should be sufficient.

Homebuilt Boot Systems