recent arcade machine spotting

Nowadays most arcade games are played either via emulators or by those
little TV Games doodads. But the original machines are still around. Today,
while on vacation, I found, in an old ice cream parlor, right next to a
Wurlitzer jukebox, an authentic Galaga machine.

It was, as evidenced by the sign over its screen, out of order. I
immediately found the cause: the power cord, which was draped over the front
of the unit, was frayed near the plug end of the cord. Then I though, isn't
that routine maintenance? Just put some electrical tape on it for the time
being, and then, when you get the chance, just put a new cord on it.

Anyway the power in the entire block from the ice cream shop down was out
due to a blown transformer. So it woiuldn't have run, working or not. But
one thing it did is instilled in me that awesome feeling you have when you
discover an old arcade machine. It also made me think that next time I come
to that ice cream parlor I am definitely bringing two items: electrical tape
and some quarters. And, oh, another item, but this one's included with me: a
mouth, then, to ask the manager politely if I could put the electrical tape
on it, plug it in, and play a few games.

Have any of you ever been in a similar situation?

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:24:01 GMT, "AnonyMouse"
<send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>Nowadays most arcade games are played either via emulators or by those
>little TV Games doodads. But the original machines are still around. Today,
>while on vacation, I found, in an old ice cream parlor, right next to a
>Wurlitzer jukebox, an authentic Galaga machine.
>
>It was, as evidenced by the sign over its screen, out of order. I
>immediately found the cause: the power cord, which was draped over the front
>of the unit, was frayed near the plug end of the cord. Then I though, isn't
>that routine maintenance? Just put some electrical tape on it for the time
>being, and then, when you get the chance, just put a new cord on it.
>
>Anyway the power in the entire block from the ice cream shop down was out
>due to a blown transformer. So it woiuldn't have run, working or not. But
>one thing it did is instilled in me that awesome feeling you have when you
>discover an old arcade machine. It also made me think that next time I come
>to that ice cream parlor I am definitely bringing two items: electrical tape
>and some quarters. And, oh, another item, but this one's included with me: a
>mouth, then, to ask the manager politely if I could put the electrical tape
>on it, plug it in, and play a few games.
>
>Have any of you ever been in a similar situation?

I'd be more tempted to tap up the owner and ask how much is it worth
to take the 'broken' machine that is obviously 'worthless' of his
hands, gotta be worth a try!

-
www.pleasuredome.org.uk

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

> Galaga and Galxians are at Yonge Street. :)

C'mon, There are lots of doctorin' and lawyerin' jobs on Younge Street! ;)
--
FSogol

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:33:03 -0400, FSogol wrote:
> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>>
>> Galaga and Galxians are at Yonge Street. :)
>>
> C'mon, There are lots of doctorin' and lawyerin' jobs on Younge Street! ;)

Will check this out then. :)

For today I was forgotten to pick up to Toronto. So I'm here. :-(
--
Andreas

PGP Keys available, see key servers

"AnonyMouse" <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in

<snip>

> Have any of you ever been in a similar situation?

Sorta. There's a Space Invaders II upright in Katipo Cafe in Wellington
(New Zealand) that doesn't work...the only problem appears to be the coin
mechanism doesn't recognise credits. The manager there told me the machines
(there's a few cocktail ones also) belong to a mate whose overseas. No one
in the cafe knows how to fix the machine; It's almost certainly just a
loose wire. I was tempted to fix it last time I was in Wellington. Next
time...

lob