Is there a reliable NO-FAN heatsink/CPU combo (AMD or Intel)

I'm looking to put together a "media Center" system,
probably based on a Shuttle Cube case and Mobo. The system
will be in the livingroom and noise is an issue.

Is there a AMD or Pentium CPU and heatsink combination
that doesn't need a fan and will fin in a small formfactor case ?

Since the system is basically only going to play MP3s speed
isn't an issue and I imagine that down--speeding the CPU clock
would reduce the heat produced by the CPU.

A thermostat-controlled fan/heatsink might be acceptable since it
wouldn't be on all the time. Is there a recommendation for a quiet
fan ?

Thanks

--
Al Dykes
-----------

> I'm looking to put together a "media Center" system,
> probably based on a Shuttle Cube case and Mobo. The system
> will be in the livingroom and noise is an issue.
>
> Is there a AMD or Pentium CPU and heatsink combination
> that doesn't need a fan and will fin in a small formfactor case ?
>
> Since the system is basically only going to play MP3s speed
> isn't an issue and I imagine that down--speeding the CPU clock
> would reduce the heat produced by the CPU.
>
> A thermostat-controlled fan/heatsink might be acceptable since it
> wouldn't be on all the time. Is there a recommendation for a quiet
> fan ?
>

> Thanks
>

> --
> Al Dykes
> -----------
> adykes at p a n i x . c o m

The slower CPUs available on the mini-itx MBs use no fans. The fastest ones
use small quiet fans. Take a look at
http://www.via.com.tw/en/VInternet/mini_itx.jsp for some ideas. I have a
Shuttle SB65G2 with a 3gHz P4 and with the stock heat pipe heatsink the
automatic fan set properly it is amazingly quiet when it isn't being pushed
hard. Running the CPU flat out raises the noise some but it is still not
objectionable. In fact the most annoying thing is the automatic fan speeding
up and slowing down as the CPU temperature changes.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

On 30 May 2004 12:21:07 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>I'm looking to put together a "media Center" system,
>probably based on a Shuttle Cube case and Mobo. The system
>will be in the livingroom and noise is an issue.
>
>Is there a AMD or Pentium CPU and heatsink combination
>that doesn't need a fan and will fin in a small formfactor case ?
>
>Since the system is basically only going to play MP3s speed
>isn't an issue and I imagine that down--speeding the CPU clock
>would reduce the heat produced by the CPU.
>
>A thermostat-controlled fan/heatsink might be acceptable since it
>wouldn't be on all the time. Is there a recommendation for a quiet
>fan ?
>

>Thanks

You want it quiet and so immediately jumped to conclusion that heatsink
should be without fan. It is an incorrect conclusion. A fan atop the
heatsink can be quiet, even silent with closed chassis, but the required
airflow from another source to cool a passive CPU will almost always be
louder, particularly in something made to a minimal size that requires
higher CFM exhaust. Fans mounted on wall of case will have more noise
escaping case.

There is also no need for a thermstat-controlled fan/heatsink, at least to
the extent that it is not a replacement for a good heatstink, which can
be inaudible at speed needed to cool system at peak loads.

In other words, media PC is not a reason to try to reinvent the wheel.
People build silent PCs every day. If your system does only need play
MP3s then it's silly to use expensive high-heat parts. If you optimized
the CPU selection for the task then you do cut heat, could futher reduce
heat with underclocking, but even moreso by the vCore reduction made
possible by the underclocking.

For example, a Celeron Tualatin 1GHz, underclocked to 600MHz by 66MHz FSB,
undervolted to around 1.25-1.4V (will vary per specimen) should be easily
passively cooled providing airflow is routed over heatsink (typically a
power supply placed next to it and possible a duct). If you need higher
memory bus to support integrated video, video playback performance, then
consider whether a Via CPU will have sufficient performance, which it may
unless you have formats other than MPEG2 to play... MPEG4 would be better
with a drastically underclocked Athlon XP Mobile due to Via CPU having too
low a performance and the XP Mobile having multiplier adjustment option.
The C3 certainly needs no fan on heatsink but the Athlon may be easier to
cool with aforementioned good 'sink with quiet fan on top.

DO a google LOTS.