Serial ATA and IDE config help please?

Hello,

I would like some help to configure my internal drives please. I have 2 x
serial ATA drives in a striped raid array that work very well using the
onboard raid controller.

My question is this; how should I setup my two optical drives?

I have primary and secondary IDE channels available (as standard) and at the
moment I have the DVD-rom as the secondary master and a DVD-RW as the
secondary slave (nothing on the primary at all). Can I make one drive the
primary master and the other the secondary master. I am under the impression
this would be a better setup but would like to hear your thoughts before I
do it. Will it affect the hard drives at all? Can anyone help please?

I would be very grateful for any help I receive.

Many thanks
Alex, UK
2 answers Last reply
More about serial config please

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 22:29:08 +0000 (UTC), "Alex Blower"
    <alex.blower1@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I would like some help to configure my internal drives please. I have 2 x
    >serial ATA drives in a striped raid array that work very well using the
    >onboard raid controller.
    >
    >My question is this; how should I setup my two optical drives?
    >
    >I have primary and secondary IDE channels available (as standard) and at the
    >moment I have the DVD-rom as the secondary master and a DVD-RW as the
    >secondary slave (nothing on the primary at all). Can I make one drive the
    >primary master and the other the secondary master. I am under the impression
    >this would be a better setup but would like to hear your thoughts before I
    >do it. Will it affect the hard drives at all? Can anyone help please?
    >
    >I would be very grateful for any help I receive.
    >
    >Many thanks
    >Alex, UK

    You might want to buy a small cheap drive and attach it as primary
    master. You can selectively boot to this drive through bios and play
    around with linux or a win98 drive for old games. Eliminates all the
    dual boot menu/installation complications.

    Yes, your idea will work best.

    --
    DaveW

    "Alex Blower" <alex.blower1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like some help to configure my internal drives please. I have 2 x
    > serial ATA drives in a striped raid array that work very well using the
    > onboard raid controller.
    >
    > My question is this; how should I setup my two optical drives?
    >
    > I have primary and secondary IDE channels available (as standard) and at
    the
    > moment I have the DVD-rom as the secondary master and a DVD-RW as the
    > secondary slave (nothing on the primary at all). Can I make one drive the
    > primary master and the other the secondary master. I am under the
    impression
    > this would be a better setup but would like to hear your thoughts before I
    > do it. Will it affect the hard drives at all? Can anyone help please?
    >
    > I would be very grateful for any help I receive.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Alex, UK

Homebuilt NAS / RAID Configuration Systems