Serial ATA and IDE config help please?

Hello,

I would like some help to configure my internal drives please. I have 2 x
serial ATA drives in a striped raid array that work very well using the
onboard raid controller.

My question is this; how should I setup my two optical drives?

I have primary and secondary IDE channels available (as standard) and at the
moment I have the DVD-rom as the secondary master and a DVD-RW as the
secondary slave (nothing on the primary at all). Can I make one drive the
primary master and the other the secondary master. I am under the impression
this would be a better setup but would like to hear your thoughts before I
do it. Will it affect the hard drives at all? Can anyone help please?

I would be very grateful for any help I receive.

Many thanks
Alex, UK

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Mon, 31 May 2004 22:29:08 +0000 (UTC), "Alex Blower"
<alex.blower1@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I would like some help to configure my internal drives please. I have 2 x
>serial ATA drives in a striped raid array that work very well using the
>onboard raid controller.
>
>My question is this; how should I setup my two optical drives?
>
>I have primary and secondary IDE channels available (as standard) and at the
>moment I have the DVD-rom as the secondary master and a DVD-RW as the
>secondary slave (nothing on the primary at all). Can I make one drive the
>primary master and the other the secondary master. I am under the impression
>this would be a better setup but would like to hear your thoughts before I
>do it. Will it affect the hard drives at all? Can anyone help please?
>
>I would be very grateful for any help I receive.
>
>Many thanks
>Alex, UK

You might want to buy a small cheap drive and attach it as primary
master. You can selectively boot to this drive through bios and play
around with linux or a win98 drive for old games. Eliminates all the
dual boot menu/installation complications.

Yes, your idea will work best.

--
DaveW