Windows freezing (again)

Argh. Alright I removed one 128MB dimm and my system worked fine for a
while. Now it freezes again. The cursor stops responding to my jostling of
the mouse. I can hold down any combination of keys on the keyboard and
nothing will happen, no even the beeping sound that is normally associated
with such an action. Nothing on the screen will move. Typically this happens
when I am installing things from CDs but it also happens in the middle of
the screensaver leaving the system locked on a static screen with no
combination of actions able to unlock it.

***********
**The system:
Enermax 350W power supply (all voltages appear norm)
AMD Athlon Socket A 1.2 GHz processor
FIC AZ11e mainboard
128Mb DIMM x2
Plexwriter 12/10/32A CD recorder
Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-114
IDE-CD R/WR 4x4x24
60GB IBM disk drive
Realtek RTL8029(AS)-based Ethernet Adapter (Generic)
Onboard Audio
ATI All-In-Wonder 9200
Windows XP (critical updates all installed)
***********
Upon booting CPU temp is around 35 degrees Celsius according to the BIOS.
Don't know about running speed (looking for an app). The video card is brand
new, but the older one it replaced was present along with the freezing
problem as well so I know it is not the card. Mostly, like I said, it occurs
whenever I try to install something off of a CD however I have had no
problem watching any DVDs. It also has happened during the middle of the
screensaver though. To my knowledge it doesn't happen any other time. I had
3 dimms and with 2 it worked for a long time without freezing however a
couple of days ago it started freezing even without the third dimm. I
checked all the stix individually with memtest86 program suggested by
'McQualude' in an earlier post. They all checked out fine.

I am willing to try almost anything to remedy this problem so all
suggestions are welcome, but I cannot replace all the suspicious parts
because I do not have enough money.

Jeremy

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

<jeremy.egner@murraystate.edu> wrote in message
> Argh. Alright I removed one 128MB dimm and my system worked fine for a
> while. Now it freezes again. The cursor stops responding to my jostling of
> the mouse. I can hold down any combination of keys on the keyboard and
> nothing will happen, no even the beeping sound that is normally associated
> with such an action. Nothing on the screen will move. Typically this
happens
> when I am installing things from CDs but it also happens in the middle of
> the screensaver leaving the system locked on a static screen with no
> combination of actions able to unlock it.
>
> ***********
> **The system:
> Enermax 350W power supply (all voltages appear norm)
> AMD Athlon Socket A 1.2 GHz processor
> FIC AZ11e mainboard
> 128Mb DIMM x2
> Plexwriter 12/10/32A CD recorder
> Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-114
> IDE-CD R/WR 4x4x24
> 60GB IBM disk drive
> Realtek RTL8029(AS)-based Ethernet Adapter (Generic)
> Onboard Audio
> ATI All-In-Wonder 9200
> Windows XP (critical updates all installed)
> ***********
> Upon booting CPU temp is around 35 degrees Celsius according to the BIOS.
> Don't know about running speed (looking for an app). The video card is
brand
> new, but the older one it replaced was present along with the freezing
> problem as well so I know it is not the card. Mostly, like I said, it
occurs
> whenever I try to install something off of a CD however I have had no
> problem watching any DVDs. It also has happened during the middle of the
> screensaver though. To my knowledge it doesn't happen any other time. I
had
> 3 dimms and with 2 it worked for a long time without freezing however a
> couple of days ago it started freezing even without the third dimm. I
> checked all the stix individually with memtest86 program suggested by
> 'McQualude' in an earlier post. They all checked out fine.
>
> I am willing to try almost anything to remedy this problem so all
> suggestions are welcome, but I cannot replace all the suspicious parts
> because I do not have enough money.

I don't have the time to read the old thread at the moment, so excuse me if
all of this has been covered already.

Use Motherboard Monitor for temp monitoring, although it doesn't sound temp
related to me. Is there anything interesting in the event logs, control
panel > admin tools > eventviewer, in either application or system tabs.
(MBMv5) http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/5/13-5-1.shtml

Your mobo is about the right age to possibly have failing capacitors, check
the tops of all the capacitors, they should be flat or slightly concave, if
any of the tops are bulging or there is gunk underneath them they are
failing (or have failed).

Have you tried a clean install of winxp, I know it's a pain but sometimes
the only way, maybe as a last resort though.

HTH
--
Ian

TRENDING THREADS