S-ATA problem

Hi!

Just installed a new S-ATA drive into my PC. It's really slow. What can be
the problem?
P4 3 GHz
2 GB 400 MHz RAM
ASUS P4C800 motherboard

Thanks

bence

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Locsmándi Bence" <locsmandi.bence@chello.hu> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Just installed a new S-ATA drive into my PC. It's really slow. What can be
> the problem?
> P4 3 GHz
> 2 GB 400 MHz RAM
> ASUS P4C800 motherboard

What, the computer has slowed down? or the drive seems slow? more info
needed.

--
Ian

Yes, I wasn't really exact.
This machine is an audio workstation so I need fast HDDs. Compared to my
"old" ATA133 HDDs this S-ATA HDD performed much poorer. So it's slower than
the paralell ATA drives.
Thanks

b.

"Apollo" <REMOVEMEian_dunbar6@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Locsmándi Bence" <locsmandi.bence@chello.hu> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > Just installed a new S-ATA drive into my PC. It's really slow. What can
be
> > the problem?
> > P4 3 GHz
> > 2 GB 400 MHz RAM
> > ASUS P4C800 motherboard
> >

> What, the computer has slowed down? or the drive seems slow? more info
> needed.
>
> --
> Ian

> Yes, I wasn't really exact.
> This machine is an audio workstation so I need fast HDDs. Compared to my
> "old" ATA133 HDDs this S-ATA HDD performed much poorer. So it's slower
than
> the paralell ATA drives.
> Thanks

What is the size of the SATA HDD? What was the size of the older IDE drive?

Most people I've talked to notice very little difference in overall
performance when using either an SATA or IDE drive, if they're the same
size. However, a bigger drive usually gives better performance. Though it
shouldn't be THAT noticeable either way.

It's an 80 GB Samsung.

b.

"David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I wasn't really exact.
> > This machine is an audio workstation so I need fast HDDs. Compared to my
> > "old" ATA133 HDDs this S-ATA HDD performed much poorer. So it's slower
> than
> > the paralell ATA drives.
> > Thanks
>
> What is the size of the SATA HDD? What was the size of the older IDE
drive?

> Most people I've talked to notice very little difference in overall
> performance when using either an SATA or IDE drive, if they're the same
> size. However, a bigger drive usually gives better performance. Though
it
> shouldn't be THAT noticeable either way.

Sorry, it was only a wrong BIOS setting. All fine now! Thanks for everyone.

b.

> It's an 80 GB Samsung.
>
> b.
>
> "David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, I wasn't really exact.
> > > This machine is an audio workstation so I need fast HDDs. Compared to
my
> > > "old" ATA133 HDDs this S-ATA HDD performed much poorer. So it's slower
> > than
> > > the paralell ATA drives.
> > > Thanks
> >
> > What is the size of the SATA HDD? What was the size of the older IDE
> drive?
> >
> > Most people I've talked to notice very little difference in overall
> > performance when using either an SATA or IDE drive, if they're the same
> > size. However, a bigger drive usually gives better performance. Though
> it
> > shouldn't be THAT noticeable either way.

Out of curiosity, what bios setting caused the SATA to perform poorly?