(hopefully) minor GA-VT600(L) issue

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hey, I've just intalled a new Gigabyte GA-VT600(L) mainboard for my system
(see specs
below) I have a Kobian Mercury 300W PSU, admittely isn't alot of power but
it seems to be handling the system at the moment.

The system works fine except for one issue when I choose shutdown from the
Windows startmenu, the system closes windows as usual, and powers down, but
only for a split second, it then powers itself back up and restarts. This
can't be good for my hardware so I'm trying to work out the problem asap!
I've checked motherboard powerbutton/led connections and all seem correct.
I've also played around with some PowerManagment settings in BIOS with no
luck.

Another power problem is, during bootup, if I press the power button instead
of turning off it just restarts, just like the windows shutdown. Only
difference is if I carry out the cycle of pressing the button usually on the
third press it shuts down completely. The board is REV 2.0 and BIOS is F9 I
think!

It's almost like the motherboard/power supply is always receiving the PWR_ON
status signal. Maybe a short somewhere?

AMD XP2600+, not overclocked
Gigabyte GA-VT600(L)
256Mb PC2700 Corsair memory,
40Gb Maxtor HD
Win XP Prof SP1
Lite-On CDRW
Thermaltake V2000a case

TIA,
Alistair
1 answer Last reply
More about hopefully minor vt600 issue
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    I'll answer my own question - I'd missed one of the power managment options
    in BIOS - disabling 'Wake up on PME Event' fixed it nicely!

    AC

    "A Cowan" <ally@cowan1057.(NOSPAM).freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hey, I've just intalled a new Gigabyte GA-VT600(L) mainboard for my system
    > (see specs
    > below) I have a Kobian Mercury 300W PSU, admittely isn't alot of power but
    > it seems to be handling the system at the moment.
    >
    > The system works fine except for one issue when I choose shutdown from the
    > Windows startmenu, the system closes windows as usual, and powers down,
    but
    > only for a split second, it then powers itself back up and restarts. This
    > can't be good for my hardware so I'm trying to work out the problem asap!
    > I've checked motherboard powerbutton/led connections and all seem correct.
    > I've also played around with some PowerManagment settings in BIOS with no
    > luck.
    >
    > Another power problem is, during bootup, if I press the power button
    instead
    > of turning off it just restarts, just like the windows shutdown. Only
    > difference is if I carry out the cycle of pressing the button usually on
    the
    > third press it shuts down completely. The board is REV 2.0 and BIOS is F9
    > think!
    >
    > It's almost like the motherboard/power supply is always receiving the
    PWR_ON
    > status signal. Maybe a short somewhere?
    >
    > AMD XP2600+, not overclocked
    > Gigabyte GA-VT600(L)