Water Cooling P4 2.8c

spencer

Hi,

Thanks for the replies to the Zalman Resorator Question earlier.
I think I'll give it a miss.

I am looking at adding water cooler to my system and need some advice on
what is best for my money.
I have around £200 to spend and not looking to clock the P4 to extreme but
would like to be able to if necessary.
Any advice where I can Improve on the following :

System is:

Intel P4 2.8c
MSI 845PE Max 2 Series mobo
768 PC2100 DDR 1x 512, 1x256. ( Need to upgrade here) PCI 2700?
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Hercules 3d prophet)
With Zalman ZM80c-HP Heat Pipe
2x 80GB HD
SC-Z7AL05 "SPIDER" Case
450 watt psu
8x 80 mm Rack Fans (Sounds bloody quite considering)

Spence

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Spencer" <warthog33@nospam.btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ian,
>
> Thanks for you input and thanks for your replies on the last Resorator
post.
> As you have said b4 the Zalman looks cool but thats about it. Shame that
> there are a lot of mags giving it the thumbs up but not sure if they have
> tested it to the full.
>
> I did have a look at the kit you suggest and it looks fine for what I need
> although you mention the fan being noisy! I have plenty so will change
like
> you.
> Please let me know how you get on.

No problem Spencer,

I'll try and remember to take some pics as well, I always get really into it
and stop taking pics halfway through, must be the excitement ;o)

--
Ian

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Spencer" <warthog33@nospam.btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ian,
>
> Thanks for you input and thanks for your replies on the last Resorator
post.
> As you have said b4 the Zalman looks cool but thats about it. Shame that
> there are a lot of mags giving it the thumbs up but not sure if they have
> tested it to the full.
>
> I did have a look at the kit you suggest and it looks fine for what I need
> although you mention the fan being noisy! I have plenty so will change
like
> you.
> Please let me know how you get on.

Hi Spence

Well it's in and running and yes it was a couple of days of hard work. CPU
temp is running about 40C, although I think that I still have some air in
the radiator and I'm running quite a heavy overclock. I'm expecting the
temps to drop 2-3C after the arctic silver beds in and I get all the air
out.

Previous: Barton 2500 @ 2.4GHz, Zalman 7000cu @ 2400rpm, 1.9v core - around
42 - 45C socket temp.

Now: Barton 2500 @ 2.5GHz, 1.85v core - rock steady 39-41C after 12 hours of
running (ambient ~23C).

I'm going to experiment further once it's settled down, the cooling must be
good due to the fact I can get a better overclock with less core voltage.
2.5GHz was my previous best OC on air, but I had to go to 1.95v and the temp
was creeping into the low 50's.

I'm hoping for 2.65-2.7GHz eventually, Vcore goes over 2 volts on my mobo so
I'm hopeful of getting there.

A few pics here:
http://www.ian-dunbar.co.uk/water-images/

I had to get some Tygon hose as the Danger Den hose isn't really flexible
enough for the tight bends, the Tygon is lovely stuff and I'd recommend
emailing them and upgrading as you order (if you order).

I put metal hose clips on the cpu water block due to the lack of space
between the barbs, also used them on the other long barbs.

I wouldn't say it's silent, but it's a lot quieter, the noisiest part is
probably the pump but it's not that noisy.

Did you notice my cock-up? When I cut the rad hole (image 3) I forgot, in
my excitement, to mask the rest of the case-top. Only 2 small scratches,
but it could have been a lot worse, I nearly kicked myself because I'd read
about this!
The fan template was stuck on using pritt-stick, and it all came off with a
damp cloth afterwards.

It was hard work, relatively painless - a few cuts and scrapes, but fun.

HTH

--
Ian